Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2008, 08:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default RJTech PVR1100 Review Comment Thread

Our review of the RJTech PVR1100 video recorder has been posted live and has proven to be a very interesting little product. Sorry to put this comment thread into this section but its the closest thing we have...

You can find the review here: RJTech PVR1100 MPEG4 Mini Video Recorder Review

Please use this thread to post your questions, comments, rants and raves.

Enjoy!!!

Old May 2, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hmm while this maybe a good idea I find it to ... whats the word .. basic?

For people who want to just record perfect. But really 640x480 max? Thats not gonna look to go if you have a large tv.
Old May 2, 2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
For people who want to just record perfect. But really 640x480 max? Thats not gonna look to go if you have a large tv.
I know alot of people with 720p TVs that use basic cable which runs a 640x480 signal to their TV.
Old May 4, 2008, 10:00 AM
Rookie

I have a couple of question, if I were to back the files up on a dvd would they be able to play on a divx dvd player with out needing to be re-encoded? Also I would like to know if I could play them from my computer with something like VLC player?. and my last question, I was wondering if this dvr is compatible with SDHC cards.

I've been looking for something like this, I've looked at some harddrive based media players but most of them seem to be very problematic. I currently use a dvd recorder and the picture quality is good but uses about 2gb per hour for decent quality and backing up takes a lot of discs and time to copy,edit and burn.

ps. Good review all ways enjoy reading them.
Graphics Card: Ati X1900gt
Case: Antec Sonata III
Old May 5, 2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I have a couple of question, if I were to back the files up on a dvd would they be able to play on a divx dvd player with out needing to be re-encoded?
I don't quite understand what you want to do. If you want to take the info on the memory card and then copy it onto a DVD then yes, you will have to re-encode it for DivX. However, there are some DVD players on the market that are compatible with MPEG4 as well.

Quote:
Also I would like to know if I could play them from my computer with something like VLC player?
Yes. Definately.

Quote:
I was wondering if this dvr is compatible with SDHC cards
I am trying to get this info right now from our rep.

Hope that helps.
Old May 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pretty cool, but we want HD like: Popcorn Hour. :) Funny there is not more stuff like this on the market.

GJ on the review.
Old May 5, 2008, 04:07 PM

Is Popcorn Hour available in Canada?
Old May 5, 2008, 05:37 PM
RJTech Rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodies View Post
I have a couple of question, if I were to back the files up on a dvd would they be able to play on a divx dvd player with out needing to be re-encoded?
I assume you've ripped your DVD video to an MPEG4 file. If that's what you're getting at, then yes, the PVR1100 will play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodies View Post
I was wondering if this dvr is compatible with SDHC cards.
Unfortunately, the PVR1100 will not take SDHC. For higher capacity than 4GB (there are 4GB SD cards but rare and pricey), you should use CF cards. Another note is that the unit does not support Microdrive cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Pretty cool, but we want HD like: Popcorn Hour. :) Funny there is not more stuff like this on the market.
Just give us a few months and we'll have something like the Popcorn Hour plus a few more features!
Old May 5, 2008, 06:01 PM
MVP

Neat little device. Too bad it doesn't play SDHC, considering how cheap SD cards are these days.

I might get this product since I don't use HDTV yet, and good thing I have that Connect3D 4GB SD card that I don't really use (but it has slow writing speed :P). I suppose we can also get a bunch of 2GB SD cards at $10-12 each.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTech_C View Post
Just give us a few months and we'll have something like the Popcorn Hour plus a few more features!
Woooo!!! Now give it a DVI-D connector and I'm sold. I need something for my 30" monitor.

Too bad about the SDHC though which would make my point about this needing a USB 2.0 connector all the more clear.

ALSO good to see you here.