Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2014, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Advice on 27" display: BenQ IPS (BL2710PT) or ASUS PLS (PB278Q)?

Hey guys. First post in this forum and hope to spend more time here. :)

I am looking at buying a new monitor for my future rig, which I'll get 6-12 months down the line. I will be using it for general web browsing and coding, as well as some heavy gaming (RPGs, RTSs) when I feel inclined. The way I'm set up, I have a sofa 6 feet behind my computer desk, from which I would like to sit back and watch movies in the evening. Due to limited space and no room for a monitor AND a TV, I'm looking at a 27" monitor. I'd also like 2560 x 1440 resolution for an immersive gaming experience.

I have found two that I'm interested in and would like to know your opinions on them for my purposes. Which is better?

1. BenQ 27" LED IPS Monitor (BL2710PT)
BenQ 27" LED IPS Monitor with 4ms Response Time (BL2710PT) : 25 Inch & Larger Monitors - Best Buy Canada

2. ASUS 27" PLS LED Monitor (PB278Q)
ASUS 27" PLS LED Monitor with 2560x1440 WQHD Resolution (PB278Q) : 25 Inch & Larger Monitors - Best Buy Canada

Both are going for 599 CAD at BestBuy.ca. The BenQ is on special until April 22nd. I am looking to buy from BestBuy.ca because they seem to have good prices (Price Match available with other Canadian retailers) and if I have a problem with the monitor I can simply walk into a store to return/replace it. I am in Montreal

If you have any other suggestions on monitors found on BestBuy.ca (or even FutureShop.ca) that would better suit my needs, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

Frugalmeister
Old April 12, 2014, 06:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I cannot say for certain about ASUS' monitors but for BenQ I always loved their displays, the colors are rich, contrast is high, the only down side I remember for BenQ was the price they always seemed a little bit more expensive than the others.

Maybe the others around here can help but I know you won't be disappointed with BenQ.
Old April 12, 2014, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks. :)

I've also just read about ASUS' upcoming 27" G-Sync capable ROG Swift and I was salivating at the thought of it. If a new generation of monitors is just about to come out, maybe I should wait and spend a bit more for this one, which I'll surely enjoy for a few more years than the ones listed in my OP. Like I said I'll only be able to afford my new rig 6-12 months down the road anyway.

Any thoughts? Would I still be able to sit back on the couch with some friends and watch movies on this new ASUS monitor? I've read that TN monitors don't have as many viewing angles. Or would one of the displays in my OP be better suited to this purpose?

Thanks!

Frugalmeister
Old April 12, 2014, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gsync has already been reviewed as very good. FYI VESA has announced that they are supporting AMD freesync (doesn't require extra hardware like gsync). Not sure what it all means, but I cant personally picture gsync catching on much or lasting long due to the added cost (even if it may be the better solution).

TN panels are generally cheaper and lower response time, whereas IPS are generally slower reaponse, more expensive, but with better colors and viewing angles. Obviously there are different qualities within each group.
Old April 12, 2014, 10:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just to be clear, the BenQ is not IPS and I don't think BenQ sells any IPS monitors as they'd have to partner up with LG or Samsung. Instead it's A-HVA, an entirely new panel at 1440p resolution that seems to offer similar performance to IPS/PLS.

I like TFT Central for monitor reviews, and they've reviewed both, so read them over and draw your own conclusions:
BenQ BL2710PT Review
Asus PB278Q Review

Personally though, 27" at 6ft isn't going to be very great for movie watching. You might want to consider doing a 32" 1080p TV instead.
Old April 12, 2014, 09:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

Went over to a friend's today and saw for myself that 27" might not cut it for sitting 6 ft away. The thing is, I'm on the computer nearly all day, so I'd like to be able to sit at my desk to work. I'm assuming you can't use a TV as a monitor, it being so close?

I'm wondering again if I can't accommodate both a monitor and TV in this tight space, maybe by shifting things around in the room. If I were to go down this route, maybe a smaller monitor, say 24" would suffice? For you gamers out there, is there a notable difference between 24" and 27", i.e., is it worth the extra cost?

Frugalmeister
Old April 13, 2014, 03:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For sitting at a desk I personally prefer 24" screens.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can definitely use a TV as a monitor, my 50" TV is quite usable as a monitor from roughly 8ft actually. Text is readable and such without any noticeable blurriness. As long as the TV is capable of 1:1 pixel mapping, your fine.

Depending on the depth of your desk, sitting in front of a 32" TV may not be quite ideal. Depends how much distance you can get between you and the TV. Personally I think a 27" monitor is ideal for sitting at arm's length. I went from 22" to 27" and it was a huge difference.

That all being said, for the same $600, you could get a 1080p 27" monitor and a 1080p 40" TV:
BenQ 27" LED A-MVA Monitor With 2ms Response Time (EW2740L) - Black : 25 Inch & Larger Monitors - Best Buy Canada
Insignia 40" 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (NS-40D40SNA14) : LED TVs - Best Buy Canada
Old April 13, 2014, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for your suggestions JD.

I was told yesterday that getting a 27" 1440p monitor just for gaming is pointless because games are now made to run only at 1080p and that that won't change for years to come. Is this true? Would I just be throwing my money away by buying a 1440p monitor for gaming?

I'm starting to like the idea of a 27" (or less) 1080p display for the desk along with a separate TV, if I can make room for both. There is also this 24" BenQ 1080p "gaming" monitor on special at BestBuy right now. Any thoughts?

BenQ 24" Widescreen LED 3D-Ready Gaming Monitor with 1ms Response Time (XL2420TE) : 23-24 Inch Monitors - Best Buy Canada

Frugalmeister
Old April 14, 2014, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm, yesterday's reply never went through.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice JD and everyone else.

Using the computer at a distance wouldn't work for me---I need to be sitting at a desk---so we'll need a monitor at the least.

I was insisting on a 1440p 27" monitor for a more immersive gaming experience, but I was told recently that most games are made for 1080p and that this won't change for years to come, rendering a 1440p monitor for gaming pretty much useless. Is there any truth to this?

If this is the case then I might be willing to look at 1080p, which would leave me with enough money to buy a TV. If I can accommodate both in this small room. :)

Frugalmeister