Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2014, 06:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The whole "games are made for 1080p" is incorrect. One could say that games are being optimized for a 16:9 viewing experience due to the proliferation of 16:9 screens and console gaming, but that is wrong.

The BenQ is BenQ's AHVA panel which is their variant of IPS. It should have the exact same characteristics as your average AH-IPS screen at that size and resolution including white glow on blacks at angles and good response times.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 23, 2014, 07:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
The whole "games are made for 1080p" is incorrect. One could say that games are being optimized for a 16:9 viewing experience due to the proliferation of 16:9 screens and console gaming, but that is wrong.
So what's the reality of the situation, 10e?

Frugalmeister
Old April 24, 2014, 08:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalmeister View Post
So what's the reality of the situation, 10e?

Frugalmeister
I have never had issues playing modern games on 2560x1440 resolutions. Maybe older ones might have issues but not anything the past 2-3 years.

Even then, if that happens you can always use a lower resolution and have the video card scale to full resolution whilst keeping the aspect ratio intact.

What I meant was many FPS games have their FOV or field-of-vision optimized for 16:9 screens lately. They will run at 16:10 or 4:3 but the horizontal (width) field of vision is slightly more limited.

My favorite PC based aspect ratio is still 16:10 though.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 25, 2014, 05:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That's really good to know. Thanks 10e. :)

Frugalmeister
Old July 7, 2014, 06:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi guys,

I'd like to resurrect this thread as I'm about ready to buy a new monitor. I'm looking for a 27" 1440p (or 1600p) display. The purpose of this monitor is gaming, watching movies and general web surfing/word processing. I'm into roleplaying/RTS games, not FPS, so the refresh rate isn't incredibly important. I'm more interested in vibrant colours that would allow for an outstanding immersive gaming and cinematic experience.

I've been eyeing the upcoming ASUS ROG PG278Q for a while now and having seen a review, I think it's overkill for me at the moment because its focus is more on quick refresh rates and G-Sync (I just built a new gaming rig with an AMD card and don't plan on upgrading for at least a year). The colours of the PG278Q seem good but I think there's better out there.

I've also been eyeing the Dell UltraSharp U2713H and Dell UltraSharp U2713HM, which both seem to have outstanding colours. I'm a bit worried about their refresh rate and response times though. Are they still ok for gaming these days?

I've heard that BenQ and ASUS monitors aren't that great colour-wise.

I'm very open to suggestions so please give me all you've got! Thanks. :)

Frugalmeister
Old July 7, 2014, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have the older U2711 from Dell and it's been perfectly fine for all my gaming usage.

The "H" model is of higher quality than the "HM" but unless your a professional photographer, it probably isn't worth the jump in price.

To fully use that ROG monitor, you need a GeForce 650 Ti (or higher). Are you looking at building a new machine too? Though I suspect you'd need something like a 780 Ti (or perhaps 2 in SLI) to really see the benefits of G-SYNC.

If you can deal with the glare, a glossy/glass screen would give you the vibrancy you're after. The Dell's are matte finish so they lack that "pop" that you might be looking for.
Old July 8, 2014, 02:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have an MSI R9 290x so G-Sync's out of the question for now.

Didn't know about Dell's matte finish. It might or might not be an issue. I'll look into it.

Any other makes/models you can suggest for my needs? :)

Frugalmeister
Old July 10, 2014, 04:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IPS for gaming (FPS) is not ideal.. I game on a dell U2713hm and am seriously considering the Asus ROG gsync, noticable lack of smoothness etc. It is however great for pretty much everything else
27" is fine for watching shows at 6ft, I watch at about 10ft, wouldn't go much more though.
you'll need quite a few GPU horses to drive the higher res (290x should be OK though for high settings on average.)
The finish on the dell dose mute things a bit BUT it is far outweighed by not having glare / reflections on the screen.
If your interested in freesync or very smooth FPS gaming then I'd wait till there is more info on freesync and how well it works.
Depending on what you play and how important it is vs other uses then other options are 120 / 1440hz, lightboost etc but for those frame rates you'll want to stick to a lower res (1080) unless your gonna go dual gpu.

Consider filling out your rig in your profile so people can easily see what your running if you ever need advice on upgrades / troubleshooting

/edit, I really need to read the last few posts properly...

OK, forget the gsync / freesync etc stuff..
Basically any of the PLS / IPS screens will be significantly better than the vast majority of TN panels and offer much better viewing angles (I hate the weird contrast effect you get if not looking straight at a tn panel)
THe Dell is great all rounder, have the U2713hm.. Have a samsung business aimed PLS monitor in work and I gotta say that I'm very impressed especially considering that it's very reasonably priced. I think I'd go the PLS route if I was buying again (and wanted a screen for everything but gaming in fps etc)
You need to read reviews and if possible TRY them yourself.
Hell look second-hand and you should save a packet..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; July 10, 2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old July 10, 2014, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Consider filling out your rig in your profile so people can easily see what your running if you ever need advice on upgrades / troubleshooting
Done! :D

I'm willing to spend for a good monitor so I'd like to avoid second-hand and go for something new with a decent warranty. I was on the ASUS PG278Q bandwagon till I realized that I wouldn't be able to make use of its key feature. Now I'm more interested in a 27" 1440p monitor that delivers excellent colour and on which I can game (non-FPS).

I've been reading tons and tons of reviews and unfortunately I don't see much that fits the bill; only models I'd have to settle for. The best of the lot seem to be the Dell Ultrasharps I mentioned right now, but even they seem to have their flaws. Still looking in hopes that something great comes along.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Frugalmeister
Old July 10, 2014, 06:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The LG UltraWide's might be worth checking out. Either the 34UM95 or 34UM65. Not sure if you follow Linus' YouTube series, but he seemed to really like them.