Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2014, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default should I get a projector?

So I just moved into a new house and I am finding that the giant living room I have makes my 42inch tv look really small. So I sold it. All I do is watch movies and the odd tv show and mayby play the odd game. Light is not a problem so my choice is between a plasma tv or a projector. I have about 1000-1200 to spend in total. So are there projectors out there that you dont have to change the bulb after 3000 hours. 1080p is a must and no 3d is needed, I cant use the glasses. Thanks for all the help.
Old March 30, 2014, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wanted to do the same thing for my PC have both projector and a 27" tv but After ready this type of question and answers yesterday ( coincidence) the bulb replacement is apparently very expensive so depending on how much you use it it would be like buying a 27-30" TV every time you buy a bulb.
Old March 30, 2014, 01:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If you can control the light, and have the room buy one! You won't be disappointed.

Replacement bulbs are cheap from ebay and online retailers, just pull the housing and replace yourself. You get bent over buying from manufacturer.

Old March 30, 2014, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

when change bulb make sure no oil from hands gets on the bulb
Old March 30, 2014, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Bulb life can be anywhere from 500 hours to over 800 hours and there is no guarantee of even that.

Bulbs can cost upwards of $400 or more depending on the project.

I would just save the money and buy a bigger tv.
Old March 31, 2014, 08:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

this tends to be the case the cheaper the projector the more expensive the bulb. I myself love epson projector.

Just some question you should ask.

1 how far are you sitting from the screen?
2. Ceiling mount how are you going to get power and video. If you go that route. Me id do table mount. custom coffee table with my oc there.
3. Depend on how many imputs the projector has do you need either a video/audio recuever or a switch?
4. Screen type pull down or fixed. Cheap pull down screems pull the sides in over time and sway with presure changrs in the house.

Projectors are sweet but sometimes a 55-65 inch lcd/ led or plasma will do the trick
Old April 1, 2014, 03:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

check out the Epson 2030, it's a 1080p lcd projector with great reviews at projector central. Best part is that the bulb has a msrp of $100.
Old April 1, 2014, 05:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I got a samsung 55" for under $900 at boxing day, Visions has a 60" Sharp Aquos on for $999. Unless it's a dedicated theater room I wouldn't go projector.
Old April 16, 2014, 05:11 PM
Rookie

Buy a projector.

You get the best combination of lowest cost/screen size, and lamp life *shouldn't* be a concern if you follow some basic advice.

For instance, don't turn a projector on and off quickly, lighting the lamp is the most detrimental aspect, once its lit, it is better to let it run for a while, and cool gradually when you are done using it. Don't turn it on for 15 minutes, but DO turn it on for 2-6 hours at a time....

Something I ALWAYS do when I get a new lamp based device is condition the lamp. The way you condition the lamp is to make sure you are ready before the very first time you light it. Have everything hooked up so you can run moving, HD video through your device for at least 24 hours uninterrupted. Now, when you turn it on for the first time, start your video playing through the device, make sure its set up for the same brightness you'd normally use it, and LET IT RUN for at least 24 hours continuously. I would recommend 48 hours, but 24 is ok for a minimum.

The purpose of this is to "burn in" the lamp at the normal operating temperature that it will be used under. If you flick it on and off, its just like starting your car in the winter, running it down to the corner store, shutting it off, etc., etc.

I did this with the last lamp based rear projection tv I owned, the lamp was rated to last 8000 hours, and I received over 8000 hours run time from it(proven by the internal hour meter). Many, many, many others who owned the same rear projection tv complained of lamp failure before 2000 hours. I'm sure my long lamp life was a direct result of my "burn in" of the lamp.

When you compare the 24 hours to the total lamp life you may add by doing this, it is well worth it. For me, I like to think I added 6000 hours of absolutely trouble free use(when compared to the common number that early failures occurred at...).

Many of today's LCD projectors have very long lamp life, 4000 hours is not unusual. You'll get years and years of use out of that kind of lamp life. Usually, by the time you need a new lamp, you would *prefer* to just buy a new projector, since they keep improving them...but new lamps can be bought from online sources, usually for less than $200. If your lamp lasts the full 4000 hours, and a new one is $200., then it has only cost $.05/hour to run your projector and enjoy it for years...