Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2014, 09:49 PM
Top Prospect

I actually bought this TV around Christmas and I can say I am fairly happy with it. Chang Hong is a brand name in China, they are the second largest manufacture of TV's there. I hooked a ps3 to it and noticed no ghosting though GTA 5 is the only game I have tried. Blu Rays and other high def content also looks great. It fails a little bit with SD TV as faces seem either a little to red or white but it is not to bad and does a better job then a second gen Sony Bravia at scaling.

Is it worth getting is a harder question to answer. When I bought it was $30 cheaper and the 2 year extended warranty was 45$. I also live under 2 hours to the new egg warehouse so could drive there if I need to use that warranty. I would say this is the TV to get if you are willing to take a chance on a unknown. You would have to spend 600-900$ to match it in a name brand (though it would have smart features) If you are looking to get a noticeable better TV you would probably have to spend around a grand.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:28 AM
Allstar

I actually bought an Insignia for the spare room and was surprised at the picture quality considering it's price. While it doesn't get used all that much it was a great deal and had the best picture in that price range.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old April 3, 2014, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still am looking at different TVs and noticed that some have single TV tuners an others have multiple tv tuners so I looked up about TV tuners and read this
Quote:
TV Tuner
A list of the signals that the built-in tuner is capable of tuning. An NTSC tuner is standard definition cable, an ATSC tuner is used for HD signals and a QAM tuner is used for Over the Air HD signals.
OK now this has me thinking if I go by logic if I bought a TV that only had a ATSC tuner in it that would make standard TV singles short and and but if I bought one with multiple TV tuners this should correct this ?
Old April 3, 2014, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I still am looking at different TVs and noticed that some have single TV tuners an others have multiple tv tuners so I looked up about TV tuners and read this

OK now this has me thinking if I go by logic if I bought a TV that only had a ATSC tuner in it that would make standard TV singles short and and but if I bought one with multiple TV tuners this should correct this ?
It depends on how you hook up your cable feed.

Most cable boxes use component cables or hdmi out so that negates the tv tuner. Same goes with satellite dishes.

Unless you are running stone age cable most cable providers use a digital box of some sort now which again negates the use of the internal tuner.

I haven't plugged an actual coax cable for cable or satellite into the tv in YEARS.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have my PC plugged in using hdmi and my shaw cable box using component and the cable TV isn't HD is is sd and with this TV buuilt 2009 everyone looks short and fat unlesI use zoom I guess that is because of my TV being pre 2012 this happens.
I thought that maybe it also was because this TV tuner has only the ATSC that this could be the problem
now the other thing that gets me thinking is if using HDMI or composit negates the TV Tuner then why would they even have on now days the only thing I can think of that would make any difference is the FPS differences like the FPS signal in Europe is different then north America but other then that why bother since the TVs are built for north America
Old April 3, 2014, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I have my PC plugged in using hdmi and my shaw cable box using component and the cable TV isn't HD is is sd and with this TV buuilt 2009 everyone looks short and fat unlesI use zoom I guess that is because of my TV being pre 2012 this happens.
I thought that maybe it also was because this TV tuner has only the ATSC that this could be the problem
now the other thing that gets me thinking is if using HDMI or composit negates the TV Tuner then why would they even have on now days the only thing I can think of that would make any difference is the FPS differences like the FPS signal in Europe is different then north America but other then that why bother since the TVs are built for north America
Using the cable box bypasses the internal of the tv. Its all done through the cable box with the component cables.

The still have the tuners for other purposes aside from watching cable tv on them. For example if I wish to use my Atari I have to use the coax connector.