Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   21:9 Monitors (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/65058-21-9-monitors.html)

Dr_BenD_over January 14, 2014 09:51 AM

21:9 Monitors

I'm thinking of getting a LG 29EA73 29IN Ultrawide for myself as a bit of a B-Day present, and I have a few questions.

1. Is this just a gimmick thing and would I be better off just getting a regular 16:10 or 16:9 monitor?
2. I would plan on using this with one or both of my current monitors, these are both older models that only have VGA and DVI inputs. Can I continue to run these 2 monitors from DVI from a 650Ti and run the 21:9 from HDMI or DP on the same card, or would I need a second video output, either the IGP, or adding a second card like a 5850? nVidia says the 650Ti supports 4 monitors, but there's usually something they don't tell you.

JD January 14, 2014 04:02 PM

Depends what you plan to use it for I'd say...

If you mostly watch movies, it'll likely be beneficial since it's closer (or equal to) the aspect ratio movies are filmed in. For gaming, assuming the game supports the resolution, I don't see any issues there. The only potential loss is for productivity as you don't have a ton of vertical room to work with. You' have to get used to managing your windows horizontally.

And for your 650 Ti, I don't see why you cannot use all the outputs on the card though. One of the VGA/DVI ports may be tied together, but if you have 4 outputs, I'd assume at least 3 should work.

I think you'd be the first on these forums to get a 21:9 monitor though, so if you do, you'll have to share your thoughts!

Dr_BenD_over January 15, 2014 10:27 AM

It looks like I need both DVI's and HDMI to achieve the 4 way screen option, so I will need additional video out if I want to keep using one or both of my old monitors. I suppose I could use the IGP or slap my olde 5850 in the x4 PCI-E slot and watch the driver deathmatch ensue...

JD January 15, 2014 03:40 PM

Windows 7 and newer should be fine with both ATI and NVIDIA drivers installed. I've done it before without any apparent issues.

And why can't you use a DVI-to-VGA adapter? Should work, unless the ports are digital-only.

draemn January 15, 2014 06:45 PM

Not a fan of the ultra wide category for gaming. Read carefully because I know that the original crop of monitors were a gimmick "2 screens" that used one panel. In general, a lot of computer games are reported to not play nice with this custom resolution and you won't be able to take full advantage of them (although I'm basing this off info I got over a year ago). In terms of screen real-estate and productivity without requiring a 2nd monitor, they are pretty cool. Honestly, I don't really see why you would want to use an ultra wide when you already have 2x monitors. Maybe as a movie buff as noted above?

Shadowarez January 15, 2014 07:34 PM

If this was a 3D Capable monitor then I'd love one for the movie here there. But the res wouldn't work for most games I play.

Dr_BenD_over January 16, 2014 09:24 AM

I'm thinking I'd be better off with a 27" 2560x1440 PLS monitor... I find 1080p's lack of vertical space annoying.

aviduser January 24, 2014 04:28 PM

I had one for about 3 hrs. Great for gaming/movies, but I couldn't live with the lack of height. Plus the uncertainty of which games will be playable at 21:9

I ended up spending some extra money and got a 27" 2560x1440.