Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2014, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Default is the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM from dell.com the A00 revision?

I read a review on newegg.ca where this monitor was available, saying that the A00 revision was defective. I ordered a monitor from dell.com thinking I wouldn't get any kind of crap like what ends up on newegg.ca, but I just noticed it's the same model number. Anyone know if they're still selling them, and if I can return it for a full refund if so? WHY IS THIS EVEN A THING??? I'm so sick of this crap. I've been researching a new PC like all day, every day for the past 3 weeks, and yet this still happens to me.
I'm about ready to drop all this crap and look into Korean monitors.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:48 PM
Rookie

TL;DR: order canceled.

Well, after them giving me the runaround between the 1-800 number and the online chat, they couldn't give me any information about a revision number. I panicked, realizing the user agreement said I couldn't cancel (it had entered "production" phase) I'd have to pay for return shipping, handling, and up to a 15% restocking fee. I was informed that there is a Ontario Consumer Protection Act for false advertising and such, and that I should legally be able to cancel my order. I phoned and they said they could cancel it.
So who knows if it was the infamous defective revision, but at least I'm not stuck with one.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

... really? If the monitor was known to be defective, dell would not sell it.
Old January 3, 2014, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
... really? If the monitor was known to be defective, dell would not sell it.
Well not completely broken, just messed up, with different tints in different corners.

It's not that it's confirmed that they were selling these inferior ones, but they couldn't give me any information on whether they were or not, and I couldn't take that chance of subjecting myself to their return fees if I ended up with crap.

Dell wouldn't sell them if they were messed up? They sold them to Newegg.ca and amazon.ca at least, and it's probably why the ones from dell.com were on sale as well.
Old January 3, 2014, 01:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if I would solely base buying decisions off Newegg and Amazon reviews. People typically only post when they have issues, not when something works well.

Mines a A00 revision and I have no issues to report. And even if yours happened to have issues, Dell gives you a 3yr warranty with premium panel guarantee. One of the benefits from buying directly from Dell. I think if you buy from any third party seller, you lose out on all of that.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:00 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ok...just so I understand this correctly becuase of a NEWEGG 'review' you nuked an order and think all are bad?! Dude...do you work for Samsung or something? Maybe a Dell employee ran over your dog? Because otherwise that is insane.

Different tints in different corners == bad monitor. It happens. Has nothing to do with the panel. It. Was. A. Bad. Monitor. It could have been an XYZ revision it would have still be a bad monitor with faulty internals.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 3, 2014, 03:19 PM
Rookie

I'm really sick and tired of wading through the capitalist information overload. What's insane is trying to make sense of this nonsense.

It wasn't just one or two reviews. If it's a smear campaign, I don't have the energy to investigate. Have better systems of trust for people to rely on instead of hearsay. (I hear this guy's legit! They wouldn't make so much money if they screwed people over!)

I just don't want to take the chance that a phone rep is saying whatever they can to burden me with an inferior product. $200 is too much to mess with.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:34 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Mine are great

Have two, purchased in the last month or so. Ordered directly from Dell; shipped from Dell. Both are AOO, work great and used every day.

Don't know why you'd order a Dell from NewEgg: Both of mine were on sale for $189 - one I had to pay shipping and the other was free shipping from Dell's Cyber Friday sale.

Edit: If NewEgg said it was in 'production,' then they ordered it directly from Dell not from NewEgg stock. When you track a Dell order, it shows the status exactly as - production - you should be fine.

Last edited by LaughingCrow; January 3, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

We run a 6 monitor setup at work for client status monitoring using entirely u2312hm monitors; they are all A00 revision. Not a single problem with them here. I actually think they are outstanding value monitors. And as was stated before, DELL warranty is amazing.

Honestly, there's some really good Korean monitors out there, but you're much more likely to run in to issues with that than DELL.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
Have two, purchased in the last month or so. Ordered directly from Dell; shipped from Dell. Both are AOO, work great and used every day.

Don't know why you'd order a Dell from NewEgg: Both of mine were on sale for $189 - one I had to pay shipping and the other was free shipping from Dell's Cyber Friday sale.

Edit: If NewEgg said it was in 'production,' then they ordered it directly from Dell not from NewEgg stock. When you track a Dell order, it shows the status exactly as - production - you should be fine.
I didn't order from NewEgg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Honestly, there's some really good Korean monitors out there, but you're much more likely to run in to issues with that than DELL.
I've heard with the Korean monitors you can pay a little extra for 0 dead pixel guarantees, and eBay/PayPal would back you up, at least for arrival. I suppose long-term it's not a reliable indicator for quality products, but at least short-term it is. Either way I'm left with the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
We run a 6 monitor setup at work for client status monitoring using entirely u2312hm monitors; they are all A00 revision. Not a single problem with them here. I actually think they are outstanding value monitors. And as was stated before, DELL warranty is amazing.
Anecdotal evidence is not helping me. I don't know how to ascertain reliable information. I mean, how can I confirm what Dell's service is like? The use agreement says I'm screwed if anything goes wrong. Do they just treat customers better than their user agreement holds them to, because if they were legally required to be that nice customers would take advantage of them? Even so, how can I get a reliable indication of that instead of just relying on hearsay?

Oh well. Regardless of what the situation was, order was canceled and the sale is over. Who knows what the hell I'll do now. Sit on a defective CRT that's giving my eye strain, and a 20 year old PC and a keyboard with sticky keys. (I wonder if the keyboard could be made not horrible by lubricating them. That's really the only problem, I think.)

I'm so fed up with this, I'm about ready to leave the virtual world completely. What have I gained from it after all these years? It's done more harm than good. and now it wants more money from me. People are advising me to drop down a thousand dollars to play games and do 3D modeling and video editing. That amount just seems so obscene. Sure, 3 decades ago you'd pay more and get something that could do much less, but I'm just getting too old, and I haven't gotten any richer. Maybe I should get something as cheap as possible, like a $300 system. I could afford to upgrade it 5 years later and still come out ahead.