Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why do 144 Hz monitors perform better than 60 Hz when it comes to screen tearing? (using without vsync or gsync)

I would think nvidia would have so many patents on this idea of gsync that AMD won't be able to provide a real alternative? Yes, I am also waiting for a 4k g-sync monitor... that would be sick! (although I might have to wait a long time)
Old December 15, 2013, 08:08 AM
Rookie

I'm so glad i bought a VG248QE. Its been amazing for gaming with the best input lag on the market and it can use the lightboost trick for smooth gameplay in twitch shooters and soon ill be able to buy a board replacement to enable g sync on it, not to mention that the price was really cheap when i got it :P
Old December 15, 2013, 10:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Damn it, I just got a new IPS panel which I love. Well I guess it could make a bedroom tv now lol.
Old December 16, 2013, 02:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Why do 144 Hz monitors perform better than 60 Hz when it comes to screen tearing? (using without vsync or gsync)
That because tearlines appear for only 1/144sec rather than 1/60sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
NVIDIA's G-SYNC is almost ready for prime time and we've spend a week up close and personal with a supporting monitor. This is one new technology you don't want to miss!

Read more here: A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor
Good review, fellow Canadians. I'm the the creator of the LightBoost HOWTO, and the guy that helped ToastyX make Strobelight possible. I just wanted to point out that I'm in Toronto too as well.

Based on my tests, I've created a new TestUFO animation here (simulation of Stutters vs Tearing vs GSYNC):
Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests [FIXED]

Last edited by mdrejhon; December 20, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old December 16, 2013, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The videos that Nvidia has put out showing their demo for g-sync look like they still have some stutter at times. Have you noticed that g-sync doesn't give a 100% perfectly smooth experience in some cases or is that a problem with the video they provided? Obviously the stutter is much less than normal, but I was hoping this would be a 100% smooth solution. (talking about when you can push over the 30 fps minimum)
Old December 16, 2013, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Videos of G-Sync are completely useless, real or simulated. I'm sure your socks will be knocked off once you see it for yourself, just like everyone else who has.
Old December 19, 2013, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Available for pre-order already in UK.. they are also displaying them in this show-rooms

Award winning supplier, performance hardware & systems - Scan.co.uk

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old December 20, 2013, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Whoops, my link was broken. It's been now fixed:

UFO Animation Demo: Stutters
Old December 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
The videos that Nvidia has put out showing their demo for g-sync look like they still have some stutter at times. Have you noticed that g-sync doesn't give a 100% perfectly smooth experience in some cases or is that a problem with the video they provided? Obviously the stutter is much less than normal, but I was hoping this would be a 100% smooth solution. (talking about when you can push over the 30 fps minimum)
Videos of G-SYNC is a bit tough.
However, try this: Animation of G-SYNC framerate ramping effect

View this in a stutterfree browser such as Chrome, and make sure it says a green "VALID" at the bottom. Use the primary monitor and make sure Aero is enabled, to see an accurate animation. This one uses interpolation to simulate. The real hardware version looks better, however, this is just a demonstration to show how variable framerates can be done without erratic stutters.
Old December 20, 2013, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea... That doesn't work... still tears and stutters even when it says 60h, 60fps and green sync bar.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"