Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree that G-Sync will have the biggest impact on 60Hz monitors, effectively making 60Hz monitors relevant gaming displays again. However, as far as I know, all G-Sync testing by the media and individuals has been done on "gaming-grade" 120Hz+ displays, and every single person has described the difference as dramatic (and that's an understatement, going by their remarks).
Old December 7, 2013, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, considering that 120Hz means you need to push 120 fps... they will suffer even more than 60Hz monitors from not always being able to push the fps required. That said, from a demo (recorded by a camera) that was run in 60Hz, I can see the difference.
Old December 8, 2013, 02:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Well, considering that 120Hz means you need to push 120 fps... they will suffer even more than 60Hz monitors from not always being able to push the fps required. That said, from a demo (recorded by a camera) that was run in 60Hz, I can see the difference.
You don't need to push 120Hz for G-SYNC to work. I have G-SYNC monitor right in front of me.

I am running BF4 @ 45FPS and G-SYNC works just fine. That's the beauty of it: you can run asynchronously and still get the benefits.
Old December 8, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
You don't need to push 120Hz for G-SYNC to work. I have G-SYNC monitor right in front of me.

I am running BF4 @ 45FPS and G-SYNC works just fine. That's the beauty of it: you can run asynchronously and still get the benefits.
Yes, I think you're missing the point of Gsync draemn. The monitor will show the frames at the rate the gpu pushes them to it. Thus every time a frame is completed, it is pushed to the monitor and shown. That means your monitor is 1hz to 120hz, and will never skip a frame. It'll only start 'dropping' frames if you're beyond 120hz.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 8, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

So jelly right now. When can we expect the review? I'm assuming the Asus QE? On a scale of 1-10, what's your impression like so far (strictly speaking motion performance).

I had the QE for awhile but returned it. I have the BenQ XE now. Default colors are much better (although in my case not a huge deal because I use a colorimeter), minimum white brightness can go lower w/o touching contrast (bit too high for me on the Asus), and I never knew I was slightly bothered by PWM flicker until I tried the flicker-free XE.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

That wasn't my intended point. My point is that because it is harder to push 120fps, G-SYNC holds a massive advantage for 120Hz monitors vs 60Hz. The less you are able to push as many fps as your monitor refresh rate, the more you'll see the benefit of G-Sync (obviously all setups will benefit from reduced input lag).

Edit: My op was referring to the post above me to disagree that 60Hz monitors will see the biggest benefit from gsync.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm definitely buying one when they become available. I've seen it in first person at an nvidia booth and it's beautiful. The demo they have is quite the eye opener.
This is the only reason I keep an nvidia card in my main computer.
Old December 9, 2013, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, my next big purchase will either be a 1TB SSD or a G-Sync monitor...
Old December 9, 2013, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WTF? 1 TB???!?!? Do you really need to be able to have that much p0rn open at once?
Old December 9, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well draemn...that's how much space a picture of his mom takes up.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...