Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2013, 11:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default 3x eyefinity, 2 new 1 old monitor?

Just throwing out ideas as I have yet to decide on the gpu's I'll be running in my new project. But I got to thinking it may be time for me to ditch the 20-30-20 setup for practicality and use. If I went to 3x30 things would work better on a nice crossfire 290/290x setup.

Now in the effort of saving a few bucks (i'll pause while you laugh) I wonder if I could keep using my (6+yr old) Samsung 305T as my center monitor (dp to dvi-d adapter) along with 2 new Korean panels on the sides that are native dp. This would also free up an hdmi port for 4th screen to an hdtv by using an MST hub. 7680x1600 :)

My main question is about matching colors/motion on the old samsun vs the new Korean panels. I'm not a big FPS gamer if anything its sims/strategy games but If I was to load up documents on all 3 screens am I going to go nuts to get the colors to match up?

Any help appreciated, I haven't bought a monitor in 6+yrs.

Have an A-1 day!
Old November 24, 2013, 03:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you get a colorimeter, matching colors will be much easier. If you plan on running Surround or Eyefinity, however, only one color profile can be run at a time (Windows sees all displays as one display) so you'll be limited to what you can achieve through the monitors' OSDs. In desktop mode, you could create a separate profile for each monitor using a colorimeter and match the monitors well.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

No matter how hard you try color will never match or be the same.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yeah I have to agree. I tried for a long time to get a friends LG and a Samsung 24" to match with no luck (though it did end up close). And at work I have an Asus and a Phillips and they don't even come close...I leave the Phillips off unless I need it (no matter what I do it always has a washed out look to it).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old November 24, 2013, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have 3 lower end monitors bought at the same time and you can tell a difference between them irregardless of how much tweaking I have done.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Now you tell me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I have two 20" LED monitors on either side of a 24" LCD monitor. They are all LG's. What can I say Life's Good. . I bought the two 20" monitors for about $80 each on clearance on impulse not even thinking about things like colour match up - never mind different sized screens.

Software adjustments are a bust because as was mentioned the computer sees my 54" wide array as one big screen.

That leaves the monitor's individual control panels - and I have fiddled with those tiny buttons until the cows come home and I have not been able to get it to match up on all colours. Once I get the blues to be close enough across all three, the reds are off. Adjust the reds and the blues are off.

I've just got it 'close enough' and try not to let it get to me. In games I really don't notice it. The side monitors are mostly peripheral vision anyway.

I like to create 54"x10" panoramic images for my desktop - must have a 100 now. I stitch together several photographs I've taken for that purpose (use a tripod and rotate the camera, keeping it level for best effect). I've also created 54"x10" collages of images (My favourite one uses seven images of my grandson). Sometimes the colour variation is noticeable (e.g. the blue of the sky changes between screen) - other times it is hardly noticeable at all.

When I have an extra $150 or so that I don't know what to do with, I might buy a 24" LED screen and hopefully the colours will be closer. IF money were no object I'd buy a perfect set of three screens all identical and hope the colour was perfect and if it still was not perfect- which I've heard is a real possibility well then I'd be, well disappointed, big time.

BUT in the meantime enjoy what you have or can afford to have and don't let the imperfection spoil your day.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I used printscreen to create this image but I don't think that accurately reflects the colour variation, in this particular image the differences are not bothersome.

In case you are wondering, this one is from one of our quadding trips.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 26, 2013, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Printscreen just gives a copy of the render, not the actual images the screens are displaying.