Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2013, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Display "Overclocking"

Are there any drawbacks or real world benefits to doing this How To Overclock Your Monitor! 60Hz to 80Hz! - YouTube ?
Old October 31, 2013, 07:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There can be real world benefits to making a monitor run at a higher hz. I have an overlord monitor that gets to the 110s no problem and in some FPS or 'action-y' games like ME3, I notice a difference. But that being said, I don't find it as dramatic as some people make it out to be. Also a lot of games have settings that lock the upper FPS. It's usually not too hard to change that so it's something to be aware of. No sense going much higher than 60hz if you can't get past 60fps.

If you clock higher than your monitor can handle I'm not sure if it will do permanent damage, but you can definitely have no image, artifacts or other problems. The 120hz forums online probably have a lot more info if you need specifcs.
Old November 2, 2013, 03:25 AM
Rookie

I don't think the eye can notice difference past 60hz anyways. a light bulb is 60hz
Old November 2, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You say that but look at a 60hz screen vs a 120 hz and you'll notice the smoothness is different.

Most video is ~12fps - ~25fps(or was until a few years ago) but I bet you notice a difference in games from that to 60.. It's not as simple as "your eye only detects" it's got to do with mis-matching refreshes from card to monitor to eye.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old November 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect

I've recently become curious about this as well. I'll give it a whirl but I may just bite the bullet and get a 144Hz ASUS.