Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2013, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Default Brightness problems with asus vs228h-p

I recently bought an asus vs228h-p monitor, and I'm having brightness problems (way too bright).
I've read some reviews on this unit on newegg and there are a few other people having the same problem. I've played with the desktop settings (window 7 64 bit) as well as the monitor settings and can't get it to improve without ruining some other aspect of colour.
Actually the brightness on the monitor itself is at 100 and greyed out (I can't change it).
I've searched for an updated driver for this model on the Asus website, but all that is available are manuals and 1 utility driver (for splitting window screens).

It's the same whether I use HDMI or DVI connections.

Has anyone else had brightness problems with this or other monitors?
I'm wondering if I should take it back?

thanks for any suggestions!!
Old October 2, 2013, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to LED backlit monitors. They are always more bright than their older counterparts; you will adjust. Sounds like you have a setting turned off for the monitor that disables the brightness adjustment.
Old October 2, 2013, 05:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If the brightness is at 100 and grayed out in the menu, it makes me wonder if there isn't an "auto" setting somewhere that you can turn off.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 2, 2013, 05:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm at work now, but will check around the monitor menu to see if I can find a setting turned off.
I know there is one or more "auto" settings in the menu, but toggling didn't seem to help. I think I found "off" to be slightly better.

Why would a company grey out a brightness setting?
My first impression when I saw that was that maybe it's because windows installed the driver when I first used the monitor (no driver came with the monitor). But after searching the Asus website, there doesn't appear to be a driver there.
Old October 2, 2013, 05:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm at work now, but will check around the monitor menu to see if I can find a setting turned off.
I know there is one or more "auto" settings in the menu, but toggling didn't seem to help. I think I found "off" to be slightly better.

Why would a company grey out a brightness setting?
My first impression when I saw that was that maybe it's because windows installed the driver when I first used the monitor (no driver came with the monitor). But after searching the Asus website, there doesn't appear to be a driver there.
I'm not familiar with the model, but it's possible that it has a light sensor and automatically adjusts brightness levels to compensate for ambient room levels. I can't imagine any other reason why you'd be able to access the brightness level / control, but be unable to manually adjust it.

edit: WTH does asus use .rar as their compression format when 99.9% of PCs in use have a built in zip capability!?!?!?!? I was going to download the manual to have a look, but instead I think you should call their tech support and use their services instead. ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 2, 2013, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm not familiar with the model, but it's possible that it has a light sensor and automatically adjusts brightness levels to compensate for ambient room levels. I can't imagine any other reason why you'd be able to access the brightness level / control, but be unable to manually adjust it.
Exactly this. I bet if you READ the manual you fould find that this exists. Its a feature in a lot of Asus monitors.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not a fan of the image quality of ASUS monitors that I have bought after owning a Samsung monitor. I don't have a good sample size or experience with buying monitors, but I know I will be looking somewhere other than ASUS next time I buy monitors.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:26 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You have "cinema" or "presentation" or some other mode enabled that presets all the colors and brightness/contrast for you. Change out of the preset and your adjustments will come back.
Old October 3, 2013, 09:55 AM
Rookie

I agree with you sswilson about the .rar instead of .zip.
Also their support page is not the best either especially since there is no monitor driver available.

Quote:
You have "cinema" or "presentation" or some other mode enabled that presets all the colors and brightness/contrast for you. Change out of the preset and your adjustments will come back.
That is exactly right!
The default is one of those crazy mode selections, I just happened to find this out by accident while browsing around the menus and selecting something when I was trying to exit. This monitor is by far the worse I've had for trying to maneuver around the menus. There is no left/right arrow, only up/down, and I can't figure out which one backs out of a menu. The buttons are used for multiple selections of which I haven't figured out yet.
And as far as a manual, all I got was a sheet of paper in multiple languages with print so small I can hardly read it.
There are 5 buttons under the monitor: power, input select, brightness/up, menu, contrast/down, S/A.
Input select does "not" select anything from what I can see. I don't know what S/A stands for and seems to have a mind of it's own when I press it. I would be happy if they just had an escape button to back out of an area you don't want to be in.

Anyway sorry for the rant, and thanks for the help!!