Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2013, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh you are talking about the 3 new Ultra HD ones from Dell I take it.

Press release is here: Press Releases | Dell
Quote:
Availability and Pricing
The Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD Monitor (UP3214Q) is available globally starting at $3,499. The Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitor (UP2414Q) is now available in the Americas, starting at $1,399. It will be available worldwide on December 16. The Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor (P2815Q) will be available in early 2014.
And this is the flagship one which I would love, but the rig needed to push this would be really pricey.
Dell UltraSharp 32 UltraHD Monitor ? UP3214Q

Old December 7, 2013, 01:31 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thank you for your input. Just one question...have you used this monitor for any extended period of time or just simply regurgitating things you have heard from 3rd parties?

In either case lets break it down.

IPS Glow: over-rated and happens on MVA, TN, IPS, PLS and every other backlit LCD monitor. Try gaming in more normal lighting conditions if it is a concern. For the record our sample had very...very little backlight bleed. As you can see from our pictures taken in a 100% dark room. The last gen U30...yes it was bad. Our sample of this gen...not so much. Much MUCH better than my Asus 27 144mhz 'gaming' monitor.

20ms: Nonsense. This unit has multiple modes meant for multiple roles. Gaming mode it is much...much lower. Maybe you are mistaking input lag for shear MS 'speed'? Either case this one is very decent for a monitor of this size and class. YMMV but the lag was not noticeable...something that some TN monitors I have reviewed recently can not claim.

inaccurate colors: there is this device called a colorimeter, maybe you have heard of it? Great investment. Highly recommend it. Considering the cost of this unit and its intended role...I doubt most owners of it do not own a colorimeter or are adverse to spending 99 dollars for one.

So why do I like it for games: rich, deep color pallet that no TN can match. Good response rate for a 60Hz monitor, great anti-glare screen. This monitor can do a lot of things better than PLS or TN. You can use it for work and then use it for play. When I want to play games 9 out 10 times I reach for my U2713 instead of my Asus 1080P '3D' monitor. But no one monitor will be right for everyone. Do your own homework, see it in person and then make a decision.

EDIT:
For RJB:
Sorry mate but I dont know of any coupons off the top of my head. Every time I even start thinking about this monitor...my wallet threatens me with gross bodily harm :P

Ohh boy. Let me start of by saying yes! I actually had this monitor for 2 months before I send it back for a refund and thank the lord almighty I got my money back. Have you EVER played games like Amnesia? Games where it actually is dark and you need the dark in order to get a good experience while playing? I don't think you have. Those pictures taken in the review shows the color dept and it's a beautiful picture don't get me wrong but I would love to see some pictures how severe the IPS glow is - in dark games

After I read this review I didn't listen to other sites saying it was so bad. I got convinced by all the glorious words you used and how impressed you was but unfortunately I ended up being very disappointed in the end.

Have you even see other sites review on U3014? ALL (those with some decent credibility) says this monitor is bad for gaming. The game mode as i mentioned when selected uses VERY incarnate and dull colors. Try and see for yourself? Its a stated prof and you cannot get around with this. I started out with A02 version and ended up with A03 - Was actually the very first who got it(check Dell's forum etc) and still it was a bad monitor for gaming. I can give you an example:

Try launch Diablo 3 and look in your auction house tab. Look on the yellow items. Now try switch to Game Mode and see how incarnate and dull the yellow color now is :(

So before you praise that this monitor is the absolute best and whatsoever please for the love of god..Test it out properly before saying stuff that isn't true. Don't believe? I can link the first 5 pages where people / sites says the very same thing. Your(this site) is the only one who praise it lol.

Last edited by xofa87; December 7, 2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old December 7, 2013, 07:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I understand where you are coming from. Some people prefer TN to IPS for gaming. Its a tired argument and there is no 'right' answer. Both have their pros and cons for gaming. Plenty of reviewers consider speed more important than color depth and wrongly let their bias sway their opinion. I am the opposite and prefer IPS over TN, but do not let my bias sway my opinion. This is why I own both technologies and use both. I praise or damn both depending on how a review unit reacts - not on a prejudiced opinion I may have formed before even turning on the monitor for the first time.

I stand by my review as it is my personal opinion based on a sample size of one. However, with that being said I put our sample through many...many hours of game testing. More than what I usually do. Dell had to pry it away from my hands....and well past the usual return time I get with them. I still think I made the wrong decision over sending it back instead of buying the sample unit.

Look I know this is going to be a radical concept (one that will probably greatly annoy you as much as it did me when I 'discovered' it many years ago)...but when you change the mode you are using on any monitor the colors can and usually do change. May sound strange but it is the way they usually work. All use their 'photoshop' mode (changes from mfg'er to mfg'er) as their color correct mode. Thus all the monitor does not leave the factory until it is perfect in THAT mode, even if it impacts the other modes accuracy. Water is wet, sky is blue...etc etc. Might as well complain about the weather - but it can be annoying if you dont know this before hand.

Dell's also sometimes come with "Smart Video Enhance" default to ON. Sometimes the mode you are in can also change this setting. Turn it off. Fixes 90% of color issues with latest UltraSharps as it changes the colors in realtime to make them more 'appealing'. I think its a terrible idea, but since it takes two seconds to fix its not a deal breaker.

The other 10% of cases is a simple fix. You dont even need a colorimeter to adjust the colors. Use a program like Hex2Bit. Will not give you as accurate a result...but since you are opposed to spending 99 bucks for a proper tool for your thousand dollar monitor (and get multiple IC profiles to switch between) the results it will give should be good enough for games.

In the mean time you have my condolences and I hope you are happy with whatever monitor you did end up buying. At the end of the day that is all that really matters: personal satisfaction with any new toy.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 7, 2013, 11:04 AM
Rookie

AkG: Just to clear things up - I wasn't trying to bash / troll you, sorry if you felt it like that, if not - Super! :)
The thing is.. I am in between monitors as of now. I simply haven't found any good monitor yet.. I'm thinking of getting a U3014 again and hope it will have less IPS glow? However, I cannot remember this but in Game Mode can you adjust the colors so it fits like in standard mode with a colorimeter?

I do really miss the awesomeness of the U3014 (despite the IPS glow).. I wish there were some 2560x1600 30 inch monitors for pure gaming.
Old December 7, 2013, 11:47 AM

Gotcha. Ok, if you dont own a 30" right now - and have a 'good enough' monitor to tide you over. I personally would wait. I usually dont say "wait" but "buy now and enjoy now...as there is always something better on the horizon". This is the exception to that rule. This coming year should see BIG changes come about.

G-Sync has the potential to change the gaming landscape. PLS is also making great strides on color fidelity and gets better with every gen....and 4K monitors may shake things up as well. Lots of options that may result in a paradigm shift...or not.

IF you have to buy now. Couple things that only you can decide on:

1) Do you need 10bit color fidelity or would 8bit 'do'. IE would PLS be good enough for you. PLS is good kit and if you game more than do say photo editing it is a good option. It has its own issues...but PLS is good balanced between TN and IPS.

2) Do you like 3D? Do you have enough horse power to consistently hit 120-144 frames per second @ 1080P? If so Asus make some good monitors. I own one and while I am not always in the mood for 3D....it is cheaper than a 1600P monitor and can be a blast. BUT it is a big step down in color fidelity and resolution.

3) Can you afford two monitors. Sometimes expecting one monitor to everything...is not feasible. Sometimes it takes two monitors. One for work and certain games and others for play (games that are 'better' at 120+fps or 3D).

Hope that helps

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 7, 2013, 12:54 PM
Rookie

Well I am actually in dire need of a new monitor since I have a week or two to return my current one for a refund. However, I do miss the 30inch, especially Dells U3014. The colors and display was fantastic and outstanding. Never tried anything like that before.

I don't care about 3D gaming.
Do you really think there will be any 2560x1600 30inch in the new year? So far from what I can tell G-sync is only going to be available on 24 - perhaps 27. The thing is.. It's damn expensive to make 30inch and I got my doubts we will see any big changes to 30inches.

Can you recommend any 27 2560x1440?
Old December 7, 2013, 02:05 PM

Honestly, no idea. There are so many possibilities right now that it would not surprise me if a 30" came about...but it might be a bit longer for the 30s than the 27s.

If you like the U3014 but cant stand it for gaming....IPS may not be for you. You might be better served by a PLS panel, take the hit in resolution and color depth and get a more optimal (for you) experience via a 27" unit.

If colors are all that PO'ed you about the Dell...invest in a good colorimeter. Not all that expensive and a good all round investment. Pick a mode that 'works' for your needs...and create a custom ICC for your panel. ;)

Those basically are your options. Smaller PLS, TN 1080P high speed, dell IPS + colorimeter + turn off smart video enhance.

Old December 7, 2013, 02:25 PM
Rookie

Just to get things right.. Can I use custom ICC profiles and a colorimeter in Game Mode?
Theoretically can I then use the standard profiles colors and load them up in game mode? = Staying in game mode with 3ms at the same time having the right colors displayed?
Old December 7, 2013, 04:15 PM

I cant see why not. BUT dont have one in front of me and Im just going off recollection here - so dont take this as gospel.

What I do know is that for peeps who are hardcore gamers I usually set a monitor to its 'game' mode, turn down the brightness and then run the Spyer calibrator on it. It spits out an ICC and I have it set to load on start-up. Colors are accurate and OverDrive and the such are set to full on "fun mode".

Will it be as good for photo editing and the such? No. Will most people notice the difference? No. Use the ICC for gaming...and turn it off when using adobeRGB/ sRGB mode (depending on your needs). This is as fast and painless as right clicking on my spyder program and selecting from the drop down list.

YMMV and like I said I dont have one in front of me to be 100% sure on the U3014....so try before you buy.

Old December 25, 2013, 10:08 PM
Rookie

just pull the trigger on one thanks Santa