Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2013, 01:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review AkG.

If I wasn't waiting for the successor to my NEC, I'd probably jump all over this. Calibrated to a proper level and with good sRGB emulation is something that was unheard of even two years ago.

I'm going to agree that gaming on a 30" is very immersive, and (to me) better than texture clarity during motion, and I still have one Lightboost capable monitor at home (collecting dust, I might add).

This will be my only comment on this subject

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old September 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
Rookie

By chance have you run this on anything other than the single and SLI 780s ?

If it took 2 780 for solid 60's, does that rule out 2 7970GHz as well.

I have a single 7970Ghz 6GB and was going to get another before they're discontinued, but might not if only the absolute highest end can push this level of monitor. Might have to look to 2713H for an upgrade instead.

I don't do much online but my Skyrim and X3 are always heavily modded (+3GB of textures alone) always for max image quality.
Old September 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its not that dual 780s are an absolute requirement. Rather when you are pushing this many pixels...its just a good recommendation. Personally for reviews I try and throw as much horsepower as possible at the monitor so that it is the bottleneck and not my gear. Assuming your games of choice have crossfire support - and the drivers for them are not borked - you will get a decent experience. Albeit one where you will have to turn the eye candy down. How much will vary from game to game. Cant be more specific than that.

All I can say is, if you can truly afford this monitor, you should be able to afford the GPU horsepower...or you cant really afford it. The same goes for justifying this level of expense. Its a LOT of cash. Though to be honest, I am really kicking myself for jumping the gun and going for the U27H.T he moment the 3014 left I started to miss it....and miss that wonderful beast more everyday. It really is at a whole 'nother level than even the 27H! Once my own personal rule on 'never upgrade a monitor more than once in a year' is satisfied...its my next purchase. No ifs, no and, no butts.....unless a 4K 60Hz 30" catches my eye first. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
Rookie

So, should we install the driver that came with the monitor, or just let Windows plug and play detect?
Old October 31, 2013, 02:29 PM
Rookie

monoprice will have one with the same LG display panel

30" IPS LED Backlit LCD Panel WQXGA 2560x1600 Dual Link DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA w/Adjustable stand -Matte / Anti-Glare - Monoprice.com
Old December 6, 2013, 11:09 AM
Rookie

I simply cannot understand how you guys can say this is fantastic for gaming. Ever heard of IPS glow? VERY high ms around 20? And in game mode 3(or was it 6?)ms but with very inaccurate colors?

Last edited by xofa87; December 6, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old December 6, 2013, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If I go to the Dell site still looks like this monitor is pushing $1K, any coupon codes or such I should bemade aware of to get the price down?

Cheers

Old December 6, 2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xofa87 View Post
I simply cannot understand how you guys can say this is fantastic for gaming. Ever heard of IPS glow? VERY high ms around 20? And in game mode 3(or was it 6?)ms but with very inaccurate colors?
Thank you for your input. Just one question...have you used this monitor for any extended period of time or just simply regurgitating things you have heard from 3rd parties?

In either case lets break it down.

IPS Glow: over-rated and happens on MVA, TN, IPS, PLS and every other backlit LCD monitor. Try gaming in more normal lighting conditions if it is a concern. For the record our sample had very...very little backlight bleed. As you can see from our pictures taken in a 100% dark room. The last gen U30...yes it was bad. Our sample of this gen...not so much. Much MUCH better than my Asus 27 144mhz 'gaming' monitor.

20ms: Nonsense. This unit has multiple modes meant for multiple roles. Gaming mode it is much...much lower. Maybe you are mistaking input lag for shear MS 'speed'? Either case this one is very decent for a monitor of this size and class. YMMV but the lag was not noticeable...something that some TN monitors I have reviewed recently can not claim.

inaccurate colors: there is this device called a colorimeter, maybe you have heard of it? Great investment. Highly recommend it. Considering the cost of this unit and its intended role...I doubt most owners of it do not own a colorimeter or are adverse to spending 99 dollars for one.

So why do I like it for games: rich, deep color pallet that no TN can match. Good response rate for a 60Hz monitor, great anti-glare screen. This monitor can do a lot of things better than PLS or TN. You can use it for work and then use it for play. When I want to play games 9 out 10 times I reach for my U2713 instead of my Asus 1080P '3D' monitor. But no one monitor will be right for everyone. Do your own homework, see it in person and then make a decision.

EDIT:
For RJB:
Sorry mate but I dont know of any coupons off the top of my head. Every time I even start thinking about this monitor...my wallet threatens me with gross bodily harm :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; December 6, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old December 6, 2013, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thank you for your input. Just one question...have you used this monitor for any extended period of time or just simply regurgitating things you have heard from 3rd parties?

In either case lets break it down.

IPS Glow: over-rated and happens on MVA, TN, IPS, PLS and every other backlit LCD monitor. Try gaming in more normal lighting conditions if it is a concern. For the record our sample had very...very little backlight bleed. As you can see from our pictures taken in a 100% dark room. The last gen U30...yes it was bad. Our sample of this gen...not so much. Much MUCH better than my Asus 27 144mhz 'gaming' monitor.

20ms: Nonsense. This unit has multiple modes meant for multiple roles. Gaming mode it is much...much lower. Maybe you are mistaking input lag for shear MS 'speed'? Either case this one is very decent for a monitor of this size and class. YMMV but the lag was not noticeable...something that some TN monitors I have reviewed recently can not claim.

inaccurate colors: there is this device called a colorimeter, maybe you have heard of it? Great investment. Highly recommend it. Considering the cost of this unit and its intended role...I doubt most owners of it do not own a colorimeter or are adverse to spending 99 dollars for one.

So why do I like it for games: rich, deep color pallet that no TN can match. Good response rate for a 60Hz monitor, great anti-glare screen. This monitor can do a lot of things better than PLS or TN. You can use it for work and then use it for play. When I want to play games 9 out 10 times I reach for my U2713 instead of my Asus 1080P '3D' monitor. But no one monitor will be right for everyone. Do your own homework, see it in person and then make a decision.

EDIT:
For RJB:
Sorry mate but I dont know of any coupons off the top of my head. Every time I even start thinking about this monitor...my wallet threatens me with gross bodily harm :P
Yeah okay thanks Akg...my wallet certainly doesnt need this just prior to Christmas, but I've enjoyed my U2711 sooooo much over the last 3.5 yrs this is the only monitor that jumps out at me for a replacement

Honestly....my "old" U2711 for gaming has been spectacular....I just know my rig is up to 1600p vs 1440p....can the folks on this Forum plaese keep me posted if ever a killer deal is once again offered...thanks!!

Old December 6, 2013, 03:27 PM

Will do mate...and you may want to wait for the 4K models. It would be a mega step up for you. ;)