Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2013, 08:39 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I don't love TN, it is the worst at color reproduction. That doesn't mean it is horrible at colors. I bought my U2711 and was amazed at the color and sharpness. I'd still have my U2711 today if it weren't for the smooth motion that Lightboost brings. Fact is, I'd still have my U2711 and run 2 monitors if the TN sucked that badly at general usage. But it doesn't. I'm at work now on a budget ($169)LG 22" TN and there is nothing wrong with this monitor. I've been staring at this panel for 3 years now and there is nothing wrong with it. You guys act like TN is unfit for human consumption. Snobs. The only time you notice the difference is when they are side by side.
My step brother is a professional photographer, he has a $3500 Eizo 14 bit panel that he calibrates monthly. This thing is not the second coming of christ. It looks like any other monitor, it just matches print closer.

Before you guys subjectively claim a monitor is amazing at gaming and movies ( with your obvious bias). Why don't you run some tests, like this one:

Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests

Take a look at that on your monitor. The UFO remains perfectly clear on my 120hz lightboost monitor. I can track it all the way across and see it plain as day, and it looks great. If there was tiny text on that UFO I could read it. I bet you get motion sickness trying to follow the blur on yours.

Edit: I ran those test on my VG278HE, budget LG TN and just now on a Dell U2412M. There is no contest which is better, none. End of story. With lightboost technology, the rest are unfit for gaming.

Edit2: Take a look at this one:

What do you see? Even slowed down to 240 pps it is a mess. This is what happens every time you move your mouse or a camera pans in a movie or a game. Unacceptable. But we've all been drinking that kool aid for too long. Your brain has been trained to tune that out. Thankfully there is a solution.

Last edited by Squeetard; September 12, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old September 12, 2013, 08:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think this all boils down to personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old September 12, 2013, 09:41 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You can't subjectify a review like this when there are now tests like the above that can show you exactly how good a monitor is at gaming and movies.

That's like reviewing a video card without FPS benchmarks and telling everyone , "Stuff looked okay, no noticeable slow downs".
Old September 12, 2013, 09:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think this all boils down to personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly. Squee you have a terrible case of confirmation bias. Everything about your post says that (seriously an Eizo...thats just desperation on your part). I ran it on my U2713H and the UFO is clear. Are the small white 'dots' clear. No, its more a white/gray/white line. Does anyone need that fine of detail for FPS games? Nope. To me FPS gaming is not about pixel perfect accuracy. Its about resolution, FOV (yes whenever possible I do widen out the FOV) and color accuracy. Thus while you may have perfect pixel accuracy...Ive seen you before you can see me (as either the cammo cloths your avatar are wearing are NOT the same 'green' as the bushes you are hiding in are OR the wider FOV allowed to see you...while Im still in your blind spot..or etc etc).

Is this subjective? Yes. Ive said that all along. Does my personal opinions color my reviews. Nope. Asus 278H was a DGV monitor and was given a DGV. I did not think the HE models slightly faster panel speed made up for the loss of 3D and was not given any award. Ive always come at monitor reviews at what is best for the widest array of consumers.

Your problem squee is you are using THREE (or more) generation old tech on one side and new tech on the other to make your opinion. Then you are not willing to allow for the possibility that IPS has matured since then. The 2711 model may only be one gen behind for DELL...put every year LG/etc have refined and upgraded their technology. The 3014 uses 2014 panel tech....not 2011.

To put this another way it would be like you arguing that AMDs Vishera destroys Intel's Haswell...so much so it is 'not even close' because your last Intel was a i5 C2D and you just upgraded to AMDs FX-9590. Sure in some very edge scenarios the AMD will outperform Intels latest and greatest...but you really think for the average consumer that the AMD is best? If that doesnt get through to you...I doubt anything will.

Edit:

Dude you obviously havent even read the review. Im done wasting time on trolls. I included bloody PHOTOGRAPHS of the 3014's pixel blur.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 12, 2013, 09:52 AM

Where in the review was Lightboost mentioned?

As you may have noticed, the review has very little to no subjectivity (hence why we do calibrated tests) other than in the real-world section. Meanwhile, AkG and members alike are able to voice their PERSONAL opinions in this thread. There's a clear distinction for the staff between the forums and the articles we post.

Unlike on other sites, our reviewers are free to express their personal thoughts, regardless of how controversial they are, on the forums.

At this point, I think everyone needs to take a step back from their battle lines and just admit that subjectively, people have different thoughts about this subject.
Old September 12, 2013, 09:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If anyone is interested it's on sale for $999 today on Dell's site.
Old September 12, 2013, 10:27 AM

$500 off: Dell UltraSharp U3014 30" Monitor with PremierColor : Parts & Upgrades | Dell Canada
Old September 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Could someone please tell me why we are using something browser-based to test displays?

BTW, I loaded up UT99 with that DX10 thing at native resolution and it looked about as silky as a CRT I hauled out last night. *shrug* Though no doubt the CRT not being absolutely perfect means that it is obviously garbage. *eyeroll*

I am happy, I do not care. Ignorance is bliss after all.
Old September 12, 2013, 10:28 AM

Use coupon code HVZGZ?HQ93B5LM for $20 more off, making it $980.
Old September 12, 2013, 12:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Alright enough lets keep this about the review, no more.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com