Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Buy and NVIDIA card and try to overclock your display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB Performance Review
Old September 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have... not much difference to be honest.. The U2713HM clocks to 90 no prob but the 2311h doesn't at all, though I notice it's less choppy anyway..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 10, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Buy and NVIDIA card and try to overclock your display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB Performance Review
I was hoping this would spur a bit of quality/quantity arguments.

Did you try to see if the Dell U3014 would run higher than 60Hz? For 800 bucks I suppose 2 7970's could drive this monitor well enough.
Old September 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I have a laugh when I see anyone rave about 120hz gaming these days. Obviously they have never tried a high quality monitor.

I own the 140Hz Asus 27" 1080P lightboost monitor. I used the 144Hz Asus. The one I always opt for to play games on....is my Dell. If I had the coin I would have sold my nearly new U2713H and gotten this 30 inch beast. Its at a different level than even the 27H. IMHO color pallet and clarity of images will ALWAYS beat out shear frames per second.
It simply depends upon which kind of gaming you do, competitive shooters should be played on a 120hz every single time, while RPG and MMO stuff would benefit the better colors and higher pixel count of the IPS panels, as well as in single player campaigns. YMMV
Old September 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's a pity Dell can't produce a quality 120Hz monitor at a reasonable price. Or any manufacturer really. I play SCII and BF3. So, I am SCREWED!
Old September 10, 2013, 03:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Consider my Dell U2713HM up for sell in 2 months. I need to step it up.
Old September 10, 2013, 05:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
It simply depends upon which kind of gaming you do, competitive shooters should be played on a 120hz every single time, while RPG and MMO stuff would benefit the better colors and higher pixel count of the IPS panels, as well as in single player campaigns. YMMV
Yes and no. Crysis 3...it was like looking through a window onto a world and not 'gaming' per say. So much so that it was simply more enjoyable. Same with Far cry 3 and BioShock. The difference was so HUGE that after testing was over...I sat down and plunked the Asus 140 next to it. I plugged in the Dell...played for an hour. Unpluged it, pluged in the Asus and tried to continue playing...and could not. It was like being jolted out of the game and into ugly minecraft land. Sure it was smooth as silk...but ugh. it was UGLY in comparison. I simply cant play on TN anymore as IPS has me spoiled. YMMV on what it most important to your gaming enjoyment. :)

I personally hope that Dell or Asus or someone comes out with a 30Inch 120FPS monster that puts to end the whole 120 TN vs 60 IPS debate. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 10, 2013, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been gaming on my 27" 1440p Dell for around 2 yrs now, sorry squeets, had my son in laws 120 Hz monitor here for a month, adios, hated playing on lower Resolution despite 120 Hz......love my Dell!!!
Old September 10, 2013, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes and no. Crysis 3...it was like looking through a window onto a world and not 'gaming' per say. So much so that it was simply more enjoyable. Same with Far cry 3 and BioShock. The difference was so HUGE that after testing was over...I sat down and plunked the Asus 140 next to it. I plugged in the Dell...played for an hour. Unpluged it, pluged in the Asus and tried to continue playing...and could not. It was like being jolted out of the game and into ugly minecraft land. Sure it was smooth as silk...but ugh. it was UGLY in comparison. I simply cant play on TN anymore as IPS has me spoiled. YMMV on what it most important to your gaming enjoyment. :)

I personally hope that Dell or Asus or someone comes out with a 30Inch 120FPS monster that puts to end the whole 120 TN vs 60 IPS debate. ;)
I would have loved to get my hands on that 30". I have the 2713HM and love it. Sure I wish it was the H or this 30" but hey got what I could afford. The biggest downfall of going to these great monitors is the power needed to push them. I got my dual 580's and they do not cut it for most modern games at their best settings. Always have to turn the settings down now.

Give me accurate colors and clarity over 120Hz. But then again I also think that as long as I have then settings right things seem smooth enough on mine. But like AkG says, give me one of those 30's running at 120Hz and I'm completely sold.

Old September 10, 2013, 07:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The issue really comes down to technology. AH-IPS simply doesn't have the backbone to run at 120Hz constant. PLS panels? Maybe.