Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2013, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Troubleshooting - 3rd monitor not detected

I have a 3 monitor setup that has been working perfectly for a couple of years. When I turned on my computer today, the 3rd monitor would not be detected. Between it working yesterday and not working today, no changes were made to the system. No new software, no driver updates, no windows updates.

The monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 932BF. I tried plugging the problematic monitor into another computer and it worked just fine, so I know the monitor isn't dead.

If it matters, the 3 monitors on the system are a single Dell U2410 (using display port) and 2 Samsung Syncmaster 932BF (both using DVI). One of the Samsungs is the problematic one, the other is working just fine.

I am running Windows 7, and when I go to the display section of the Control Panel the 3rd monitor is not listed there. I have an AMD graphics card and the Catalyst Control Center does not detect the 3rd monitor either.

I've tried the following fixes:

- Used the "Detect" button in the Control Panel display settings and the Catalyst Control Center.
- Scanned for new hardware in Device Manager.
- Confirmed that the monitor was set to use the correct input (in this case DVI).
- Unplugged all other monitors and left the problematic monitor as the only monitor connected.
- Tried swapping the DVI ports of the working and non-working monitors.
- Tried different cables.
- Tried different cable types, I was originally using DVI but I also tried VGA to see if it would work.
- Cleaned the contacts on the cables and the input ports on the monitor.
- Fully uninstalled then reinstalled my display drivers (AMD Catalyst 13.4 is what I had been using both before and after)
- Reseated my graphics card and the power cable to the graphics card.

Now I'm out of ideas on how to get this working. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Arundor; September 5, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old September 5, 2013, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

same cable? also power connection
Old September 5, 2013, 04:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I've tried swapping cables several times. I checked the power connection, thanks, but still no luck.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I think I may have found a resolution. I mentioned previously that I had already tried using VGA instead of DVI, but today I tried using a VGA cable plugged in to a different port on the graphics card, and that worked. So it would seem that the DVI input on the monitor is not working, and one of the outputs on the graphics card is also not working when used with a VGA adapter. Problem solved I guess.
Old September 19, 2013, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm actually having a similar problem.

I just installed a GTX 650 in my brothers PC. He has a 27" 1440p and 2 24" 1080p's. I have two dual dvi to dvi cables and an HDMI to HDMI cable. Two monitors work fine, but the HDMI cable will not get the third screen to work.

Do I need an HDMI to DVI cable with active display adapter? Even without Surround?

Last edited by JoeOnePack; September 19, 2013 at 06:16 PM.