Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2013, 03:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

29" ultra-wide isn't exactly new.. Dell have had theirs out for about a year now I think? No interest then... no interest now.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 28, 2013, 05:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No. Not new. But Philips is the first to throw a ton of marketing cash behind their attempt.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:11 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

What the crap is that? The only thing an ultra wide monitor is good for is gaming and movies. So why make one with an absolutely horrid response time?
Old August 28, 2013, 08:55 AM

Why would gaming be good on ultra wide when you'll be losing a ton of vertical visibility? I can only imagine the nightmares this thing would cause in RTS games...
Old August 28, 2013, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Why would gaming be good on ultra wide when you'll be losing a ton of vertical visibility? I can only imagine the nightmares this thing would cause in RTS games...

Useful for the FPS players, I guess...I could see a use for the width in BF... Although for the price, yeah, the extra vertical pixels in a true 16:9 27" would be better...!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 28, 2013, 09:21 AM

And you wouldn't care about FOV issues in the countless games that don't support FOV modifications?
Old August 28, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
my eyes are getting really bad or something because I couldn't see any difference when comparing most of the calibrations . of course I noticed the blurs but how does one calibrate a monitor and actually how does one know which say in a game or a movie which color is supposed to be in there of course I know grass is green and in some places the sky is still blue.
looking at the price when compared to the other monitors it doesn't seem that bad .
this also makes me start to wonder if I need to calibrate my 27" Samsung LCD TV that I use for a monitor.
You need to buy a hardware colorimeter. Full stop. Totally worth the price. I calibrate every display I can get my hands on with my Display LT, even friends' displays.
Old August 28, 2013, 10:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You dont even have to spend a lot of coin. Get the entry level Spyder. DL and use ColorHCFR. Spyder will take care of gamma. Color HCFR will take care of RGB. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

These displays would be good for FPS gaming if supported right, but more resolution than 1080 would be nice.
Old September 1, 2013, 02:52 AM
Top Prospect

Default Just me?

It's really unfortunate that a monitor geared towards production and the work place would leave anyone working with documents all day constantly scrolling up and down because they could not provide a little more than 1080 pixels high. Twelve hundred wouldn't have been ideal, but it does make quite a bit of difference when viewing documents, spreadsheets.....well any kind of window for that matter. This would have been the perfect time to bring back the 1200 vertical pixels.

Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities. - Voltaire

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.- Ruth Hurmence Green

There is not enough love and kindness in the world to give any of it away to imaginary beings. - Friedrich Nietzsche