Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2013, 09:14 AM
Trial Member

Default A display for PS3 gaming

Hi everyone. I'm going to buy a monitor which will be used exclusively for PS3 gaming and would like some final PS3 expertise advice on what to get. Which response time, HZ and screen type would you go for in order to have PS3 games work "perfect"? I assume from what I've read on the web that a TN panel is part of what I'm looking for, right, wrong?

I can unfortuneatly not buy a tv, I'll have to settle for an ordinary display.

Thank you very much beforehand.

/waterover555
Old August 27, 2013, 05:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why can't you buy a TV?

Get something with HDMI, plug-in, done..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 27, 2013, 07:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

PS3s will at best do 1920x1080 @ 60hz, but most games run only at 720p @ 60hz. So if you're not planning on much PC gaming with it (and only if you have the GPU horsepower to back it up) going 120hz is a waste. TN or IPS should work. I game on an Overlord IPS and am quite happy with it, but there are some strengths to TNs. AkG did a couple reviews in the Display section of a couple ASUS monitors that were TN as well as the higher res Dell IPS monitors, so going through the reviews should help you get an idea of the strengths/ weaknesses.

I would think a Dell, Samsung or ASUS 1080p 60hz monitor should give you the best bang for you buck. Just look for reviews of the individual monitors you're looking at in whatever your price range is.

Obv HDMI is a must, and you should probably decide if you want speakers in the monitor or if you're going with external speakers. Generally I don't find monitor speakers all that great, and would get a monitor that has speaker pass through so you can just plug speakers into the monitor.
Old August 27, 2013, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Obv HDMI is a must, and you should probably decide if you want speakers in the monitor or if you're going with external speakers. Generally I don't find monitor speakers all that great, and would get a monitor that has speaker pass through so you can just plug speakers into the monitor.
^^ this. Any 1080p tv or monitor with native 1080p resolution is a must. For sound you will need a stereo jack on the monitor to get sound out to headphones or to external speakers. For sound on the ps3 you can do it through HDMI and steroe out on the monitor to headphones or boombox or choose the AV cable for sound o/p and take it off the Red/white connector to a boom box or whatever you have.