Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2013, 04:33 AM
Rookie

Question Upgrading to a 27" display

Hey,

Any recommendations on the DELL U2713H?
Looking to replace my trusty old 240PW Philips and upgrade the resolution a notch.
This is mainly for gaming.

Thanks
Old July 27, 2013, 06:00 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

For gaming get a 120hz monitor with lightboost. End of discussion. Read this thread.

Asus/Benq/Samsung 120 Hz LightBoost TWEAK: Zero motion blur LCD; Looks like CRT!!
Old July 27, 2013, 06:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
For gaming get a 120hz monitor with lightboost. End of discussion. Read this thread.

Asus/Benq/Samsung 120 Hz LightBoost TWEAK: Zero motion blur LCD; Looks like CRT!!
I forgot to mention,
I'm not a hardcore FPS player.
I much rather have really really deep blacks and a good colour range.
Old July 27, 2013, 07:15 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post

Agreed. Doesn't matter if you don't play many FPS. Platformers, RTS, RPGs all look rididicously good compared to an IPS. Getting rid of a U2711 for some Lightboost goodness was the best upgrade I have done in years.
Old July 27, 2013, 07:20 AM
Rookie

I own a Benq GW2750 and I like it. I play shogun 2, BFBC2 on this monitor.
BenQ GW2750HM 27IN Widescreen A-MVA LED Monitor 20M:1 4MS HDMI DVI VGA Black Speaker
Old July 27, 2013, 08:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Agreed. Doesn't matter if you don't play many FPS. Platformers, RTS, RPGs all look rididicously good compared to an IPS. Getting rid of a U2711 for some Lightboost goodness was the best upgrade I have done in years.
I dont understand how that's even possible.
Only thing a 120hz monitor can give you that an ips cant is response time and smoothness.
Only place you will benefit from this is in the FPS universe.
When it comes to colours and true blacks they fall WAY behind.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old July 27, 2013, 09:00 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPechenG View Post
I dont understand how that's even possible.
Only thing a 120hz monitor can give you that an ips cant is response time and smoothness.
Only place you will benefit from this is in the FPS universe.
When it comes to colours and true blacks they fall WAY behind.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
With Lightboost there is almost no noticeable motion blur when a pixel moves from one colour to the next as frames change. So any game that has any camera movement looks better. The entire screen stays sharp all the time.

True colours and blacks aren't as good true. But what do colours matter if all motion is all blurry. When it comers to gaming I'll take overall sharpness any day over slightly better colours.
Old July 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The new Dell 2713H monitors are great. Also correct me if I am wrong but those 120hz monitors are 1920 x 1080/1200 are they not? The Dell is 2560x1440. Plus like people said the colors are better.

But really what wins it for me is the warranty. There is not another single company for monitors that has as good of a warranty as Dell does. Zero dead pixel and cross shipping get my backing.

Old July 27, 2013, 01:53 PM
MVP

I still prefer IPS for PC gaming and desktop use as well. I say that as someone who has kept a 210lb 34" 720p trinitron crt around for years for xbox gaming. it will be a sad day when it finally dies.

I hope the industry is paying attention to the lightboost 'hack' though, so it can be properly implemented as a feature in a greater variety of panels, including 'televisions'.
Old July 27, 2013, 02:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My monitor has very deep blacks and it's 120hz, love it...

Écran PC LCD - ProLite G2773HS-GB1 - Iiyama

they say that the colors aren't very accurate but it does not matter,the white looks white to me,the black too... Awesome image quality.

only 1080p though but if you want good contrast,this one is known to be one of the best.