Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   ASUS 4K 31.5" Monitor (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/61453-asus-4k-31-5-monitor.html)

FreeKnight May 31, 2013 04:25 PM

ASUS 4K 31.5" Monitor

ASUS unveils 31.5-inch 4K monitor ahead of Computex

Asus is releasing a 4K 31.5" Monitor soon apparently,

I'm a little skeptical about how useful this thing will be. Hell I don't know that's there's much that needs to be at a higher resolution than 2560x1600. Price is probably going to be brutal as well.

That being said, I'm no monitor expert, so it could be that it'll blow everyone's socks off for all I know.

4DoorGTZ May 31, 2013 04:56 PM

the last popular one on monoprice was only good for 30fps, wich is an HDMI limitation. Take your pick 1080p at 60fps or 2160p at 30fps, not until a new HDMI standard is out there will anything higher be possible.

EmptyMellon May 31, 2013 05:21 PM

Great for productivity/workstations, but at 8 ms gray-to-gray response time (ASUS to launch PQ321 31.5 inch 4K monitor with IGZO display - VR-Zone - VR-Zone), it is definitely not for gaming or to be more specific, not (competitive) multiplayer.

The monitor stand resembles ones off of some Dell ones I have seen, or is it just me?

FreeKnight May 31, 2013 08:48 PM

I was thinking about the HDMI limitations as well. Unless this is coming out with the new HDMI rev (1.5?), it will definitely have some caps to deal with. If it has display port though, I think it will do 4K at 60Hz.

I'm pretty skeptical on how the monitor will turn out, but I'll keep an open mind and if the reviews say it's the best thing since sliced bread, well all the better for the PC crowd.

AkG June 1, 2013 04:49 AM

I doubt it will be awesome for the avg joe user...but for photo-editors and other professionals....omfg...sign me UP. Give it another say 2 gens and then the consumer grade versions will be great for mere mortals like us. :P

FreeKnight June 1, 2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 712584)
I doubt it will be awesome for the avg joe user...but for photo-editors and other professionals....omfg...sign me UP. Give it another say 2 gens and then the consumer grade versions will be great for mere mortals like us. :P

Hopefully after 2 gens it also won't cost as much as buying a used car....

Dzzope June 3, 2013 03:01 AM

8ms response time is not bad at all for gaming, it's not that long ago that even the fastest TN panels were considered good at that. IPS aren't generally better either unless you go for the top end ones and even then the better ones are still 5ms.

Pitty about only getting 30hz out of it.. Thought they were doing something like dual HDMI for these to get the bandwidth up?

TedShackley June 5, 2013 01:42 AM

how many arms and legs and from whom would this cost ??????

Spblue June 5, 2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedShackley (Post 713330)
how many arms and legs and from whom would this cost ??????

Not sure, but I might pick a bonesaw up... You know, just in case. :ph34r:

JD June 5, 2013 06:01 AM

I saw $3800 somewhere... can't remember which site though. That doesn't seem overly unreasonable since 1600p (30") monitors go for $1300.