Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   1920 X 1200 res through Amp? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/60825-1920-x-1200-res-through-amp.html)

sswilson April 22, 2013 02:39 PM

1920 X 1200 res through Amp?

Has anybody else attempted to use a home theater amp (rated to 1080p) to control PC output to a 1920 X 1200 monitor via HDMI?

I tried this setup for my young lad's PC running through a lower end Onkyo amp and had issue with colour quality / saturation, text clarity, and momentary image drops, but am trying to decide if it was the amp attempting to up/down convert the signal that was causing the issues. (I could get passthrough for video with the amp off, but audio didn't seem to be going to the monitor).

Anybody run into this?

enaberif April 22, 2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 704909)
Has anybody else attempted to use a home theater amp (rated to 1080p) to control PC output to a 1920 X 1200 monitor via HDMI?

I tried this setup for my young lad's PC running through a lower end Onkyo amp and had issue with colour quality / saturation, text clarity, and momentary image drops, but am trying to decide if it was the amp attempting to up/down convert the signal that was causing the issues. (I could get passthrough for video with the amp off, but audio didn't seem to be going to the monitor).

Anybody run into this?

Does the monitor do 1920x1200? Or is it a 1080p monitor? You would have to enable pass through on the receiver to allow this I think.

sswilson April 22, 2013 03:14 PM

Yeah it's doing 1920 X 1200 just fine via VGA cable no less, it was either something to do with the pass through on the amp, or the fact that the mini-hdmi adapter isn't a perfect fit because of the case it's installed in. I'm not familiar with the AMP (it was mine for about a month and then my young lad's amp pooped the bed and I ended up with my old amp while he got the new one..... ;) ) so it's very possible that there is a pass through setting that I wasn't seeing in the setup options.

enaberif April 22, 2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 704916)
Yeah it's doing 1920 X 1200 just fine via VGA cable no less, it was either something to do with the pass through on the amp, or the fact that the mini-hdmi adapter isn't a perfect fit because of the case it's installed in.

What is the native res of the monitor? Is it 1920x1200?

I'm running 1080p through my Onkyo TX-SR606 without any color issues.. audio issues.. yes but not video.

SugarJ April 22, 2013 03:37 PM

It's 1920x1200 native. I traded it to him.

Steve, I always ran it via a DVI-HDMI cable with sound handled by a sound card.

sswilson April 22, 2013 04:31 PM

Yeah I'm thinking it might be an issue with the mini-hdmi adapter and/or the way it's plugged into the back of my young lad's PC. Everything works fine video wise via VGA cable and audio through the HDMI cable seems to be working fine.

JD April 22, 2013 06:08 PM

In a lot of cases, HDMI is capped at 1080p.

That being said though, I have a HDMI switch from Monoprice that runs 2048x1152 over HDMI (using DVI to HDMI cable) fine. Other 1080p devices are plugged into the switch too, outputting to the monitor.

However, my AVR700 doesn't seem to send anything but 1080p out over HDMI, or my U2711 doesn't accept anything above 1080p on the HDMI port. Not sure which is the culprit, never been bothered to investigate further.

KaptCrunch April 22, 2013 06:42 PM

check spec's on Onkyo hdmi need to higher then 1.2

10e April 26, 2013 07:27 AM

According to wikipedia, HDMI has supported 1920x1200 @ 60fps since version 1.0.

That being said, depending on the source video card and the signal encoding, there may be limited support by the AV receiver. The two video encodings used would be RGB and YPrPb, and these two can represent different characteristics, maybe causing this issue.

I've always found both AMD and nVidia GPUs have different tweaks needed for different combos of HDMI displays.

What's the hardware, AV Receiver and monitor you're using SSWilson?

sswilson April 26, 2013 08:16 AM

It's an Onkyo TX-SR308 amp, Westinghouse L2410NM monitor, and a 560ti.

It's been running fine off of the VGA connection for video and still getting audio through an HDMI cable to the amp. I'm not too worried about this particular setup for the moment as it's working for my young lad and I suspect he's not interested in mucking about with it. I even managed to do some application based audio settings so that games and Skype work through the analog audio through to the monitor's speakers while the primary is still the HDMI so that music / Youtube videos play through the amp via the HDMI cable from the card.

OTOH, I'll be getting an onkyo home theater setup for the living room and will more than likely be plugging my secondary gaming rig up to it via HDMI (currently have a long monoprice VGA + Audio cable directly to the TV) so any tips would probably come in handy for that. :)