Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Monoprice IPS panels

30in IPS Monitors and Lightning Wall Charger Cables Now in stock!

Anyone got any good information on these monitors?
Old March 29, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They use the same Apple-rejected IPS panels as the Yamakasi Catleap monitors. The upside with the Monoprice-branded model is that you get a warranty, five dead pixels guarantee, you don't have to import from Asia, etc.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hrmm, what are the reasons that Apple were rejecting them?
Old March 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Considering the panels were originally intended for Apple's premium Cinema Display line, probably anything from a single dead pixel to the worst possible uniformity issues. Having said that, I think people are generally happy with their Catleaps. After all, a few dead pixels is a small price to pay for a top-of-the-line IPS panel sporting 2560x1440 resolution at a bargain price. That bargain price does come at a cost of certain features though, such as a notable lack of connectivity, no scaler, no de-interlacer, etc.
Old April 3, 2013, 08:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

They're not rejects from Apple, they are LG binned panels at A- versus A that Apple gets. So you might get a lower quality batch but still get good panels out of them. Due to the binning they will be cheaper though.

Also Apple does not use 30" panels any more, as 27" is their largest size.

I'd say these look pretty good, Perineum. My only concern due to my display OCD would be how it handles a wide color gamut panel which, if not "toned down" to sRGB, would give over saturated super colored images unless a color managed program is in use (think Photoshop or the Windows Picture viewer heh).

Edit: Upon further reading, it looks as if the $700/$698.00 DVI-D dual-link version is an LED panel, while the multi-input version is an LCD panel. If, by chance, the 30" DVI-only version was a standard sRGB panel, then it would probably be a kick-@$$ gaming screen and have low power usage.

Unfortunately, some specs are generalized between the two models where the multi-input and single-input versions both use up to 95W of power, so who knows. I'd probably e-mail them.

Seems like they could be intriguing though, as they are half price of the normal 30" models around here from major first-tier vendors.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; April 3, 2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for your input. I'm not in the market yet but I'm interested....