Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2013, 09:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hey, for those who don't like the color changes from Lightboost, a good idea is to calibrate, create the ICM profile, and use this to preserve the changes during gaming:

CPKeeper (Color Profile Keeper)

It forces the color profile to be preserved during gaming or 3D apps with both nVidia and AMD and it works. I'm going to try Toasty's utility/method for lightboost and calibrate my BenQ XL2420T tonight IN lightboost mode with my colorimeter and software and see how gaming looks with this.

It's not perfect, but I'm sure it will be better than the horrible colors from some of these screens in Lightboost mode. So far only the Samsung S23A700D (became a bit cold/blue) is passable in this mode. The BenQ is bad to start with, and worse during lightboost.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old July 9, 2013, 10:31 AM

My System Specs

The last few Nvidia driver releases fixed poor colours for me. I can no longer tell the difference between Lightboost on or off with my display.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The last few Nvidia driver releases fixed poor colours for me. I can no longer tell the difference between Lightboost on or off with my display.
lowfat, that is good news for the VG248QE monitors! Which driver version?
Old July 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It's probably 320.49.

The purpose of me posting that was for people to be able to change an ICM profile to one that is calibrated under lightboost mode on-the-fly and lock it down. This enables a more accurate picture in the Lightboost mode for a specific screen.

So, for example, I calibrate my screen while Lightboost is on, and have a specific ICM profile for that, and I remove some of the pinkish hue on my XL2420T. I haven't tried this yet, but will probably do so tonight.

It's also useful for those who have a screen that needs calibration to be accurate and want to use that calibrated, more accurate profile in games too.

Old July 10, 2013, 11:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
It's probably 320.49.
When you installed this, did your LightBoost colors become better?

Yes, changing profiles is important. Some videogames annoyingly override ICC / ICM profiles, so that's been a problem. That's why we like it when the drivers have better LightBoost color defaults (that also works in games).
Old July 10, 2013, 12:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post
When you installed this, did your LightBoost colors become better?

Yes, changing profiles is important. Some videogames annoyingly override ICC / ICM profiles, so that's been a problem. That's why we like it when the drivers have better LightBoost color defaults (that also works in games).
This is a driver level issue with nVidia for the past four or five years. With AMD GPUs, PowerStrip could fix this, but not nVidia because nVidia protects the LUTs on the GPU while AMD doesn't.

I haven't done it with lightboost yet because I'm stability testing my build, but tonight I should be able to break out my calibration suite and colorimeter and see what I can get. The XL2420T has horrible colors to start with (IMHO) and hopefully this can fix it.

The only difference would be I'd need one profile for regular use and one for Lightboost use, but I don't use the XL2420T for anything except gaming anyways. This program would let me change them quickly and easily though, and lock them in.

Old July 10, 2013, 06:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just got my new samsung SA700 from 10e, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a difference. If you have never tried 120hz, then you have no idea what you are missing out. IPS for gaming is old school!

Thank you 10e. I LOVE it!
Old July 11, 2013, 12:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer View Post
I just got my new samsung SA700 from 10e, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a difference. If you have never tried 120hz, then you have no idea what you are missing out. IPS for gaming is old school!
Have you tried the Samsung Zero Motion Blur HOWTO? Samsung 120Hz monitors also have a strobe backlight that reduce motion blur, similarly to LightBoost, although that feature on Samsung adds far more input lag than LightBoost monitors.

Make sure you test this during 120fps@120Hz (games that are able to run at full framerate, such as Team Fortress 2 or Counterstrike).
Old July 11, 2013, 02:49 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post
Just released.... ToastyX StrobeLight, the world’s easiest method to turn on/off LightBoost. Even for 3-monitor surround setups! No 3D Vision setup required anymore!

Easy to add common refresh rates.

Ctrl-Alt-Plus = Turn on LightBoost
Ctrl-Alt-Minus = Turn on LightBoost
Ctrl-Alt-# = Adjust LightBoost % setting
If I use this I have to CTRL+T every time again.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
If I use this I have to CTRL+T every time again.
This is typically a conflict between old methods of enabling LightBoost versus new ToastyX Strobelight method.

This is easily fixed:
(1) Upgrade to 320.49 drivers (if using nVidia)
(2) Disable 3D Stereoscopic checkboxes (both in Win8 and in nVidia Control Panel)
(3) Rerun strobelight-setup.exe and install multiple refresh rates (120Hz strobed and 121Hz/144Hz)

ToastyX says that ToastyX Strobelight also works on AMD/ATI products, though Blur Busters has only tested on nVidia products.