Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2013, 09:21 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Just have to wait until IPS monitors can be lightboosted... or find a CRT... :P
All 120Hz monitors have their own various compromises/tradeoffs.

There are other brand names of strobe backlights and scanning backlights, other than nVidia's "LightBoost". Some HDTV's even have a similiar feature. The special "Sony Motionflow Impulse" mode (found in HX950 HDTV's) is a strobe backlight mode similar to LightBoost. Impulse disables interpolation, and only uses the scanning backlight. It flickers a lot, like a 60Hz CRT though (does not support 120Hz).

That said, I agree, we need to see strobe backlight technologies arrive to IPS monitors.
Old June 18, 2013, 08:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Meh, I'm returning it. I do more than just game with my monitor, and the monitor is terrible at everything but gaming.

Just have to wait until IPS monitors can be lightboosted... or find a CRT... :P
Anything can be calibrated to improve colors. Now there's also a utility that allows you to hold a calibration in games too.

If it's a TN (ie. dark top, light bottom) problem you can't do anything about it.

That being said, in terms of general use, my Samsung S23A700D is a much nicer screen than my XL2420T. I'm willing to put up with the slight up-tick in input lag when the "lightboost mode" is enabled because it's a bit more of a seamless solution, and the blur reduction is 90% as good as Lightboost screens, and can be used with both nVidia and AMD GPUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
We're still being fed this LCD crap, purely for profit reasons. They have SED TV's ready to roll.

SED - flat screen where every pixel is a mini CRT. Edit: Looks like SED's are dead in the water, crap.
SED has been dead a long time much to the chagrin of most enthusiasts. There were lawsuits involved that basically led to the technology being shelved by Canon. AUO bought it but did nothing with it, IIRC.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old June 21, 2013, 09:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
That being said, in terms of general use, my Samsung S23A700D is a much nicer screen than my XL2420T. I'm willing to put up with the slight up-tick in input lag when the "lightboost mode" is enabled because it's a bit more of a seamless solution, and the blur reduction is 90% as good as Lightboost screens, and can be used with both nVidia and AMD GPUs.
There's a new, easy LightBoost utility coming out this coming next week that allows you to turn on/off with just an easy hotkey.
Old June 21, 2013, 09:04 AM
Rookie

Everyone, those people who are in Toronto, is anyone going to the Overclock.net LAN party on Queen Street in Toronto (July 6, 2013)? If so, anyone bringing their LightBoost monitors?
Old June 21, 2013, 09:20 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post
There's a new, easy LightBoost utility coming out this coming next week that allows you to turn on/off with just an easy hotkey.
Awesome! Please post the link here when it does.

I'm currently playing The Last of Us on my 65" plasma and am struggling with the motion blur. And plasma is way better then LCD.

Once you try lightboost you will never go back.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This thread has pretty much convinced me to try out a VG248QE once I get my hands on a 780.

Looks like I may be selling a couple of my dell 23" IPS screens soon.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:00 PM

My System Specs

Been playing a lot of platformers lately. Probably the most noticeable difference yet.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjuggles View Post
This thread has pretty much convinced me to try out a VG248QE once I get my hands on a 780.
Looks like I may be selling a couple of my dell 23" IPS screens soon.
Let me know how it goes for you;

Be noted, the VG248QE requires a lot of work to calibrate its color. I prefer the out-of-the-box color of the VG278H (The "H" is better than "HE"). However, the VG248QE is half the price, and is 24" instead of 27" (lower DPI).
Be armed with the LightBoost FAQ (picture adjustments section).

With my VG278H, I can far more easily get almost identical color in LightBoost vs non-LightBoost. (VG278H OSD Contast=85%, and nVidia Control Panel Gamma = 0.8 to fix the LightBoost gamma bleach effect)
Just a lot dimmer than non-LightBoost. With my XL2411T (same panel as VG248QE), you practically need to buy a Spyder4 or i1 Pro in order to fix the LightBoost colors (or lots of patience at image adjustments).

I own both the ASUS VG278H and the BENQ XL2411T. The XL2411T (Blur Busters test unit) sits on my floor while I game with my VG278H. Although the XL2411T has better elimination of LCD motion artifacts with LightBoost, I've found the VG278H LightBoost color to be better (near zero color compromise, after I undo the gamma bleach). The monitor is a bit too big so a bit low DPI, so I have to push the monitor back ever so slightly to compensate.

Last edited by mdrejhon; June 26, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:18 AM
Rookie

Just released.... ToastyX StrobeLight, the world’s easiest method to turn on/off LightBoost. Even for 3-monitor surround setups! No 3D Vision setup required anymore!

Easy to add common refresh rates.

Ctrl-Alt-Plus = Turn on LightBoost
Ctrl-Alt-Minus = Turn on LightBoost
Ctrl-Alt-# = Adjust LightBoost % setting
Old June 29, 2013, 08:20 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Installed and confirmed working on my V278HE!