Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2013, 07:56 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I'm a definite convert now. Downgrading in resolution hasn't been a problem. In areas where I can maintain 120Hz, Lightboost makes a huge difference. It truly is like gaming on a CRT again. I really can't wait till we start seeing IPS panels that take advantage of frame matched backlight strobing.
Glad it's working for you, it's mind blowing.

At first going with 120hz LB and then switching back to 120/144hz non LB doesn't seem like much of a difference.

Then I went 2+ weeks with LB, then tried 144hz non LB and it was a disaster in comparison.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
I'm soo tempted to try it, but it would mean I need to replace that 7970! What is you GPU set up guys ? Could I be satisfied by one 680 only?
I am running a i5-3570K @ 4.8Ghz with a GTX680 at 1200Mhz boost.

--
It depends on the game.

The COD games would be easy as hell for the single 680.

The new Tomb Raider as well, as long as you play with some of the settings and do not enable TressFX.

I'd probably say you could probably get 120fps at "high" settings at 1080P for most games except for Crysis and Metro.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
I am running a i5-3570K @ 4.8Ghz with a GTX680 at 1200Mhz boost.

--
It depends on the game.

The COD games would be easy as hell for the single 680.

The new Tomb Raider as well, as long as you play with some of the settings and do not enable TressFX.

I'd probably say you could probably get 120fps at "high" settings at 1080P for most games except for Crysis and Metro.
That's all right for me! I never played Crysis

I play some casual CS:GO, and I will play Tomb Raider, walking dead, AC3 when I have time!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old April 19, 2013, 09:00 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Glad it's working for you, it's mind blowing.

I still have to CTRL + T 5-10 times every single time I enter a game. I even redid everything w/ still the same outcome.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I still have to CTRL + T 5-10 times every single time I enter a game. I even redid everything w/ still the same outcome.

That would drive me insane.

You followed the ToastyX beta instructions right? Renaming the device ID into fooling Nvidia's drivers to thinking you an emitter embedded into your monitor is simply genius!

I obviously think you're intelligent enough to follow the instructions below. I'm just perplexed as this method is working just fine for me.

I wonder if Mr. Blurbuster himself has a universal set of instructions available yet.
---
March 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm
ToastyX, maker of Custom Resolution Utility, posted some new instructions, which is ready for beta testing (still requires nVidia). No registry files, no INF files, no emitters needed!:
ToastyX — BETA INSTRUCTIONS
For NVIDIA users, LightBoost can be enabled entirely by using Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) without installing inf or reg files.
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
[Install this first]
1. The drop-down list should have an entry for each monitor. If there are more entries and you’re not sure which ones are active, run reset-all.exe and reboot. That should leave you with an entry for each connected monitor.
2. If you don’t have a 3D emitter, use the “Edit…” button at the very top to set the product ID to ACI27F8 for each monitor. This will make the driver think you have a VG278H with a built-in emitter so you can enable 3D mode. The model name doesn’t matter and can be set to whatever you want.
3. Use the “Import…” button at the bottom to import this file: lightboost.bin
I’ve included the 120/110/100 Hz LightBoost resolutions. You can remove the ones you don’t need. If you have multiple monitors, use the copy and paste buttons at the top to copy the resolutions to the other monitor entries.
4. Click OK to save the changes, then reboot.
5. In the NVIDIA control panel, open the “Set up stereoscopic 3D” page, then click the “Run Setup Wizard” button. If the button isn’t there, uncheck “Enable stereoscopic 3D” and click the “Apply” button.
6. In the setup wizard, click the “Next” button, then click “Next” again. At this point, it should enable LightBoost, and if you don’t have an emitter, the mouse cursor will be very sluggish and jerky. If you don’t need to enable 3D, you can exit here. Otherwise, continue the wizard as usual.
__
Now LightBoost should be enabled and stay enabled as long as the monitor isn’t unplugged. If there is a power outage, you will have to run the setup wizard again. If you update the video driver, you might have to go through the process again. I might make a program to simplify the process, but I need to figure out how to enable LightBoost directly in the monitor without having to run the setup wizard manually.

Last edited by Bao; April 19, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:19 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've got the emitter. But still everytime I start my pc, lightboost is not enabled. I have to go in nvidia control panel and re-enable "always on" to get it to turn on lightboost.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:41 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
That would drive me insane.

You followed the ToastyX beta instructions right? Renaming the device ID into fooling Nvidia's drivers to thinking you an emitter embedded into your monitor is simply genius!

I obviously think you're intelligent enough to follow the instructions below. I'm just perplexed as this method is working just fine for me. Although I had to finish the 3D quick setup, if I tried to exit it when the article says it would fail, and it wouldn't enable Lightboost.
Yup. Tried it twice and both w/ the same outcome. Lightboost works but I have to CTRL+T everytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I've got the emitter. But still everytime I start my pc, lightboost is not enabled. I have to go in nvidia control panel and re-enable "always on" to get it to turn on lightboost.
Have you tried installing the registry file to enable Lightboost 24/ 7?
Old April 19, 2013, 11:56 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:

Have you tried installing the registry file to enable Lightboost 24/ 7?

That's my next step. I figured that because I had the emitter I wouldn't need the hack.

Edit. Nope. install the registry hack and lightboost is still not running on restart. I have to turn it off and on again in nvidia cp for it to come on.

Edit2. I'm guessing it is because I have the old version glasses without lightboost.

Last edited by Squeetard; April 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old April 19, 2013, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Edit2. I'm guessing it is because I have the old version glasses without lightboost.
I've since discoverd (over the last 2 weeks) that the ToastyX method using the lightboost.bin file, is one of the most reliable methods of keeping LightBoost enabled across reboots. Have you tried this method yet?

ToastyX is currently working on an easier method of enabling LightBoost, keep tuned.
Old April 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I'm a definite convert now. Downgrading in resolution hasn't been a problem. In areas where I can maintain 120Hz, Lightboost makes a huge difference. It truly is like gaming on a CRT again. I really can't wait till we start seeing IPS panels that take advantage of frame matched backlight strobing.
Agreed. It should be an easier-to-enable stroboscopic backlight feature; I think ASUS now realizes there is demand for this -- they even acknowledged LightBoost in their YouTube video interview with NewEgg. The big problem is squeezing the elephant (pixel persistence) through a drinking straw (blanking interval between refreshes) -- high speed video). IPS pixel persistence needs to speed up further in order for this to work very well. TFTCentral also has a good article about motion-blur-eliminating stroboscopic backlights.

LightBoost became popular for 2D only in the last few months -- you can now see it by doing a google search for "lightboost". LightBoost has been around for 1.5 years for 3D, but what changed was a hack has recently been discovered to enable this without needing the 3D stereoscopic emitter. Lots of enthusiast gamers like eliminating 2D motion blur, who aren't interested in stereoscopic 3D. Now you don't need to buy 3D glasses in order to get LightBoost, so it's now becoming more popular...

It certainly seems to be selling a quite a few Geforce Titans -- Vega bought 4 Titan's recently, water cooled all of them and overclocked all of them, just because of LightBoost, to run 120fps Crysis3 at maximum detail in 3-monitor surround mode!

It's great to see a moderator here like LightBoost, too. If HardwareCanucks gets review samples for HardwareCanucks testing (nVidia, ASUS, BENQ, etc) PLEASE inform them that we like the strobosacopic backlight concept to be built into more monitors including future IPS monitors. (whether LightBoost-branded or otherwise)

Last edited by mdrejhon; April 19, 2013 at 05:36 PM.