Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2013, 12:39 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Does this have to be 120hz or has anyone tried it at 90? (my U2713HM does 90hz no prob)

No way I'm replacing this monitor if it doesn't, so I've not started reading yet, though I have passed this on to some friends that do.
Not possible. You need a Lightboost capable 120Hz display. And unfortunately they are all TN displays.
Old April 8, 2013, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Ordered a Asus VG248QE to try Lightboost on. I pretty much only use my computer for gaming and browsing internet so hopefully the decrease in motion blur will be worth the drop in panel quality and resolution.
Can you post your thoughts on this monitor when you get it. I've been doing a lot of research on monitors lately as mine is about to die and these monitors with this mod would make me consider them over an IPS panel. Like you i mostly game/surf the net. This could also make me switch back to the green team after almost 5 years playing for team red
Old April 8, 2013, 02:13 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Will do, should be here in a few days. I currently have a Dell U2711 to compare it with. I know it won't compare as far as color/clarity but we'll see about motion.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Does this have to be 120hz or has anyone tried it at 90? (my U2713HM does 90hz no prob)

No way I'm replacing this monitor if it doesn't, so I've not started reading yet, though I have passed this on to some friends that do.
Are you sure the U2713HM does this without skipping frames? I haven't heard this anywhere else, though I haven't looked into it much.

Someone on overclock DOT net has a similar configuration, though so I'm not saying it's impossible.

Having used the Overlord 120hz 27" IPS model, it is night and day in terms of motion blur though. The U2713HM may be afforded a slight advantage as it is overdriven, unlike the Overlord. Even if this is the case, TNs at 120hz are still noticeable not as good as the Lightboost enabled ones IMHO.

As always, it's a double edged sword, and the U2713HM is a much better display outside of this characteristic. Some people will say "I sit in front of my monitor", but it doesn't matter, as TN colorshift exists regardless of how you sit.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 9, 2013, 02:45 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The monitor arrived today. Missed the delivery, going to pick it up now....

EXCITED!
Old April 10, 2013, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 View Post
Can you post your thoughts on this monitor when you get it. I've been doing a lot of research on monitors lately as mine is about to die and these monitors with this mod would make me consider them over an IPS panel. Like you i mostly game/surf the net. This could also make me switch back to the green team after almost 5 years playing for team red

If this helps at all;

I have been using the Asus VG248QE for over a month now in lightboost 2d mode.

The image quality will never come close to what I see on the 27 inch Shimian IPS that's attached to my wife's PC.

However, for a gaming machine (90% gaming), you can tweak the image settings well enough to make the colours pop and I can say with full confidence that this is by far my favourite setup.

I've gone through the Dell U2412M (pretty good for gaming), Shimian 27inch 1440P IPS (not bad for gaming, love the resolution and colours), Asus VG236HE (very good IQ for a TN 120hz, maybe due to the glossy film), and finally the Asus VG248QE, clearly the worst image quality (but tweakable to become at least "acceptable"), but the best video game experience.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:41 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

What in the hell? I put a big post up here last night. Wonder where it went? Anyways...

What a MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT in smoothness. An absolute must for gaming. Not quite CRT smooth but if I set this monitor (ASUS V278HE) back to 60hz I can't even watch it. I can't believe we ever used 60hz lcd's for any sort of motion watching. Should have never fell for the Oooooo! flat screen hype until they put out something worth using.

My opinion is subjective but I think most of the smoothness is coming from the jump to 120hz. Lightboost adds some, noticeably smoother with it but the biggest improvement is the jump to 120hz/120fps.

Played Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim at 60hz, 120hz and 120hz with Lightboost to test this.

For some reason Crysis 3 still seems jerky no matter what the setting. I think this is due to another POS device we have been tricked into using. Optical mice. Just try and move one smoothly without seeing little micro increments. I've got a G9 too. Give me an analog ball mouse and a CRT back please.

Side by side there is no questioning that my Dell U2711 is way sharper and has more accurate color/gradient, but for gaming there is no question. I even prefer the vibrancy that the ASUS adds.

Also, 3D vision is way nicer on this than my 120hz DLP projector. More depth and clarity and less halo effect.

Edit: I never did try this with the lightboost strobe cranked way down. I just reread the OP's article and this is supposed to give the best smoothness. I've got blackout curtains in my game room and I'll try this when I get home.

Last edited by Squeetard; April 10, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks like there's a 120hz monitor in my very near future lol Too bad AMD wouldn't come out with something similar to LightBoost... would save me the money (and lecture from the wife) of not needing new Nvidia cards to take advantage of this
Old April 10, 2013, 09:13 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 View Post
Looks like there's a 120hz monitor in my very near future lol Too bad AMD wouldn't come out with something similar to LightBoost... would save me the money (and lecture from the wife) of not needing new Nvidia cards to take advantage of this
Samsung HOWTO | The Blur Busters

Samsung has displays w/ strobe backlighting. This can be used w/ any card AFAIK.

EDIT: I hooked up the Asus VG248QE and got Lightboost working. Gaming looks so smooth and fluid. I can pan the camera or do quick 180s without the entire screen looking like blobs of colour.

The drop in resolution doesn't even seem to bother me. Honestly I find the larger fonts much nicer . Just by looking at the display you can see the lack in picture quality compared to my U2711. But again I think I can live with this.

Now having to hit ctrl+t to disable 3D everytime I alt+tab back in to the game is super annoying. Especially since it bugs out and runs @ 1/60 FPS and doesn't accept any keyboard commands. I end up having to hit CTRL+T about 50 times before it works.

Last edited by lowfat; April 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

Not sure if I am allowed to post info from an external site, but this is the best way to go about it:

LightBoost HOWTO | The Blur Busters

(about half way down the page, in the comments section).

Chief Blur Buster says:
March 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm
ToastyX, maker of Custom Resolution Utility, posted some new instructions, which is ready for beta testing (still requires nVidia). No registry files, no INF files, no emitters needed!:
ToastyX — BETA INSTRUCTIONS
For NVIDIA users, LightBoost can be enabled entirely by using Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) without installing inf or reg files.
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
[Install this first]
1. The drop-down list should have an entry for each monitor. If there are more entries and you’re not sure which ones are active, run reset-all.exe and reboot. That should leave you with an entry for each connected monitor.
2. If you don’t have a 3D emitter, use the “Edit…” button at the very top to set the product ID to ACI27F8 for each monitor. This will make the driver think you have a VG278H with a built-in emitter so you can enable 3D mode. The model name doesn’t matter and can be set to whatever you want.
3. Use the “Import…” button at the bottom to import this file: lightboost.bin
I’ve included the 120/110/100 Hz LightBoost resolutions. You can remove the ones you don’t need. If you have multiple monitors, use the copy and paste buttons at the top to copy the resolutions to the other monitor entries.
4. Click OK to save the changes, then reboot.
5. In the NVIDIA control panel, open the “Set up stereoscopic 3D” page, then click the “Run Setup Wizard” button. If the button isn’t there, uncheck “Enable stereoscopic 3D” and click the “Apply” button.
6. In the setup wizard, click the “Next” button, then click “Next” again. At this point, it should enable LightBoost, and if you don’t have an emitter, the mouse cursor will be very sluggish and jerky. If you don’t need to enable 3D, you can exit here. Otherwise, continue the wizard as usual.
__
Now LightBoost should be enabled and stay enabled as long as the monitor isn’t unplugged. If there is a power outage, you will have to run the setup wizard again. If you update the video driver, you might have to go through the process again. I might make a program to simplify the process, but I need to figure out how to enable LightBoost directly in the monitor without having to run the setup wizard manually.

Last edited by Bao; April 11, 2013 at 07:39 AM.