Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2013, 01:25 PM
Top Prospect

That's great to hear Mark.

I am most interested in the 70 inch R550A model that's not on that list. But no rush for an upgrade right now. My older 64" Samsung plasma is still decent.
Old September 24, 2013, 02:44 PM
Rookie

Hi there - as you can see, I made an account to reply to this lol
(Though this forum does seem pretty cool, I'll probably stick around :D)
Just a quick question - After reading the thread, I have pretty much decided to buy a lightboost monitor - what would you recommend? I saw many positive reviews of the Asus QE, is that a good buy? Or do the more expensive ones have enough of a difference in colour quality to warrant the extra money?
Old September 25, 2013, 02:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post
Hi there - as you can see, I made an account to reply to this lol
(Though this forum does seem pretty cool, I'll probably stick around :D)
Just a quick question - After reading the thread, I have pretty much decided to buy a lightboost monitor - what would you recommend? I saw many positive reviews of the Asus QE, is that a good buy?
It's the cheapest 120Hz monitor, and the motion quality improvement is dramatic, which is where the great reviews is coming from. However, even many of the great reviews acknowledge VG248QE's colors aren't top-notch. If you're used TN gaming monitors, colors generally won't be a problem (as long as you calibrate).

Quote:
Or do the more expensive ones have enough of a difference in colour quality to warrant the extra money?
Depends on if your eyes are used to IPS monitors, for better color quality.
There are other considerations:
-- The XL2420TE's ("E" suffix) as well as the XL2420T Revision 2.0 (manufactured July and later) use PWM-free dimming, if you often get eyestrain from a monitor.
-- The VG278H and XL2720T has double the maximum LightBoost contrast ratio that the VG248QE has.
There is a good list of 120Hz monitors that tells you which ones support LightBoost.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback - I decided to go with the QE - I am currently using a TN monitor anyway, so it's not like I'll see a horrible drop in looks as if I were moving from IPS to TN, and also it's cheaper than the H :D
Old October 20, 2013, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post
Thanks for the feedback - I decided to go with the QE - I am currently using a TN monitor anyway, so it's not like I'll see a horrible drop in looks as if I were moving from IPS to TN, and also it's cheaper than the H :D
The great news is that the ASUS VG248QE is upgradeable to G-Sync:
Upgrade ASUS VG248QE with G-SYNC | Blur Busters

G-SYNC monitors also includes optional strobing -- an improved sequel to LightBoost!
Old October 26, 2013, 09:49 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I haven't actually done much with my Lightboost monitor besides finish Skyrim and marvel at it. But I am playing Deux Ex and Arkham Origins now. I am easily getting 120fps in both with all the settings cranked. Let me say that without a doubt this is an absolute game changer.
I played Arkham city on my Dell U2711 and rage quit a few times. Now, I'm an absolute superhero, my fights look like they were choreographed by Bruce Lee. Boss fights are a fun challenge, not a frustrating button mash. Why? Because I can see what's going on. I never miss a shot or a counter. I also tested this with 60hz refresh and lightboost off. It was unbelievably gross. As soon as you start moving the whole screen becomes a jittery blurry mess. Even standing perfectly still the character movements and other dynamic content is crap. How we ever put up with this is beyond me. Also, having clear motion is so much more visually stunning than better colors could ever be. My eyes don't get sore and I don't get that brain vertigo after a long gaming session.

You all read what the industry greats are saying about g-sync. But that makes zero difference to me at a steady 120fps. And the addition of a strobing backlight is even better image quality.

You can keep your 60hz IPS panels. 120hz lightboost is 100x better for gaming. This is so far beyond a "personal preference" type of subjectivity as to be laughable.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:09 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Playing BF4 on ultra with 2xmsaa and 120fps for 90% of the time. It is glorious.
yYu filthy 60hz peasants need to get yourself enlightened.
Old December 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
You can keep your 60hz IPS panels. 120hz lightboost is 100x better for gaming. This is so far beyond a "personal preference" type of subjectivity as to be laughable.
Have you tried Eizo's new FG2421? It's like LightBoost, but with almost 10x the contrast ratio -- It's a 120Hz VA panel with 5000:1 contrast and LightBoost-style strobing.
Old December 16, 2013, 03:01 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post
Have you tried Eizo's new FG2421? It's like LightBoost, but with almost 10x the contrast ratio -- It's a 120Hz VA panel with 5000:1 contrast and LightBoost-style strobing.
I've heard nothing but horrible things about that panel. It seems to be plagued w/ problems. In the rare case someone can actually get a functioning panel it is fantastic. But that seems extremely rare.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I haven't actually done much with my Lightboost monitor besides finish Skyrim and marvel at it. But I am playing Deux Ex and Arkham Origins now. I am easily getting 120fps in both with all the settings cranked. Let me say that without a doubt this is an absolute game changer.
I played Arkham city on my Dell U2711 and rage quit a few times. Now, I'm an absolute superhero, my fights look like they were choreographed by Bruce Lee. Boss fights are a fun challenge, not a frustrating button mash. Why? Because I can see what's going on. I never miss a shot or a counter. I also tested this with 60hz refresh and lightboost off. It was unbelievably gross. As soon as you start moving the whole screen becomes a jittery blurry mess. Even standing perfectly still the character movements and other dynamic content is crap. How we ever put up with this is beyond me. Also, having clear motion is so much more visually stunning than better colors could ever be. My eyes don't get sore and I don't get that brain vertigo after a long gaming session.

You all read what the industry greats are saying about g-sync. But that makes zero difference to me at a steady 120fps. And the addition of a strobing backlight is even better image quality.

I respect your opinion and admire your passion, but having played on 120hz enabled IPS high res screens (Qnix and Overlord), a Lightboost enabled BenQ XL2420T, and now an Eizo FG2421 I find that image quality still counts, and this is all still subjective as much as you try to make it seem like it isn't.

I've owned probably somewhere near 30 monitors over the past 6 years, and what I'd like to see is a color accurate, high speed, low motion blur screen, and once I calibrate the FG2421 I'll have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I've heard nothing but horrible things about that panel. It seems to be plagued w/ problems. In the rare case someone can actually get a functioning panel it is fantastic. But that seems extremely rare.

I'm one of those rare cases that doesn't have a defective panel plagued by back-light bleed, dead pixels, or weird silvery glow on one of the sides. If you win the panel lottery, the monitor is the real deal and the 240hz turbo mode works as advertised.

Unfortunately, while Eizo is a very good brand, the Sharp provided panel needs to see production quality increased overall.

I'm hoping with time the panel quality is raised due to manufacturing improvements and every hard core gamer can enjoy this very good screen.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; December 23, 2013 at 08:02 AM.