Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2013, 04:48 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default 3D monitor questions.

I've ordered a new PC and now I'm looking at a 3D monitor to hook it up to. (I have ordered the PC but not a monitor as of yet)

I've selected this monitor that Sky did a review on.
ASUS VG278H 27 3D Gaming Monitor Review

ASUS VG278H 27IN 1080p 2MS 120HZ w/ 3D Vision 2 Lightboost Glasses HDMI DVI VGA LCD

If I were to summarize Sky's review it would be "I really love this monitor but it's not IPS so I really hate this monitor" :p

I "am" scared that I will get headaches from 3D after 5 minutes of use but that 3D tolerance is something that will vary from individual to individual I believe so... will have to see.

My hardware will be a 3770k and a pair of GTX 670's so I should have plenty of juice for 3D gaming.

And finally my questions:

1) Does this look like a good choice for 3D gaming and movie watching? (Sky seems to run hot and cold on it but mostly hot from my reading)
2) Are there many games that translate well into 3D play?
3) Since I am newb any general advice about 3D would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also... If I can play a game in 2D at 60FPS will that work out to about 30FPS in 3D?

Last edited by JayDeeHobbit; February 23, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The one thing I will say is that even if you don't enjoy the 3d it should have silky smooth frames at that res with sli 670's and 120hz..

I tend to go for IPS as it just better for more of the time for me (I use my PC ALLOT) If I was mainly gaming I think I'd be much more tempted to go 120Hz.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I had a brief look and I didn't see any 120hz that were also IPS... just as well because IPS+120hz would probably add big $$$ to the price and be out of my reach. :)
Old February 24, 2013, 03:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea I wasn't suggesting 120hz IPS, it would be fairly big bucks not to mention the GPU power you'd need if the res was more than 1080.
It's more a case of choosing which is better for you. For me it's IPS.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hey JayDee,

That's not a bad choice. I think my biggest beef with 27" TN monitors is that they tend to exhibit more color shift top-to-bottom than VA and IPS technology due to the vertical height, but you're not going to see this a lot during gaming. You'll mostly see this with solid color blocks while surfing.

I've tried 3D and I didn't get any eyestrain or headaches until I hit the hour mark, but peoples' eyes and ocular systems vary. I personally feel 3D is a bit of a gimmick, but I encourage you to try it and see what you think.

A great advantage to these screens is that you can play around with the 3D settings in the nVidia control panel to get 120hz AND basically blur free image quality by turning on Lightboost even in regular games withOUT using the 3D feature. The Blur Busters Blog | Mark Rejhon's information site about scanning backlights, LCD motion blur elimination techniques, and projects. is a great resource for this. A guy named Mark Rejhon has done a lot of work and research almost to the point of obsesssion.

If you want to try this and run into trouble, lemme know (if you are interested)!

I can attest to it working with my BenQ XL2420T and my similar GPU hardware setup. It actually reduces motion blur to a point that is about 90% the same as CRT, and still a fair bit better than regular 120hz. The only requirement is that you can keep FPS at somewhere around 90+ to get the full benefit.

Playing games at 60fps won't necessarily work out to 30. Basically if your rig is straining to produce frames you get a bit of a "double image" that looks like crosstalk. Generally 3D will work at 120hz and give you 60 visible frames (basically but not quite).

Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old February 25, 2013, 07:58 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks 10e!

I have ordered a new rig with 2x670's so I'm hoping the frame rates will be decent enough to take advantage of 120hz in most games. (in 2D at least as 3D is a complete unknown to me)

I'll try that "Blur Busters" and see what results I get.

As for letting y'all know = I'll have to post pics and benchies (here and NCIX) or it didn't happen!
Old March 6, 2013, 08:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
A great advantage to these screens is that you can play around with the 3D settings in the nVidia control panel to get 120hz AND basically blur free image quality by turning on Lightboost even in regular games withOUT using the 3D feature. The Blur Busters Blog | Mark Rejhon's information site about scanning backlights, LCD motion blur elimination techniques, and projects. is a great resource for this. A guy named Mark Rejhon has done a lot of work and research almost to the point of obsesssion.
That's me.

Quote:
I can attest to it working with my BenQ XL2420T and my similar GPU hardware setup. It actually reduces motion blur to a point that is about 90% the same as CRT, and still a fair bit better than regular 120hz.
Here's a new tip; if you can live with reduced brightness.
Lower the LightBoost setting via the monitor's menus (OSD) downwards to about 50% or less, even as low as 10%. The reduces the strobe lengths of the LightBoost stroboscopic backlight; and reduces motion blur even further, to be more similar to CRT phosphor decay (under 2ms). The image is slightly dimmer but the motion clarity now matches CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeHobbit View Post
I'll try that "Blur Busters" and see what results I get.
I'm the guy who wrote one of the more popular LightBoost HOWTO's. (I actually live in Toronto, by the way -- so I'm a local!) For the best CRT silky motion effect, make the frame rates match refresh rates -- so make sure you test LightBoost (when using it in 2D without glasses) on games that easily run 120fps -- such as Source Engine video games (older games). You should not have problems getting that framerate.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by lowfat; March 7, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post
That's me.

Here's a new tip; if you can live with reduced brightness.
Lower the LightBoost setting via the monitor's menus (OSD) downwards to about 50% or less, even as low as 10%. The reduces the strobe lengths of the LightBoost stroboscopic backlight; and reduces motion blur even further, to be more similar to CRT phosphor decay (under 2ms). The image is slightly dimmer but the motion clarity now matches CRT

I'm the guy who wrote one of the more popular LightBoost HOWTO's. (I actually live in Toronto, by the way -- so I'm a local!) For the best CRT silky motion effect, make the frame rates match refresh rates -- so make sure you test LightBoost (when using it in 2D without glasses) on games that easily run 120fps -- such as Source Engine video games (older games). You should not have problems getting that framerate.
Let me know if you have any questions.
That's funny, I didn't know you were local. I always thought you were across the pond because you had the XL2411T.

I've been using Lightboost from the beginning at one or two ticks up from the lowest setting. Now that I have GTX 670 SLi I've been even happier with the results due to less "double image-ing."

Keep up the good work

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old March 8, 2013, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

I too am in love with running with Lightboost always on in 2D mode on my Asus VG248QE. I might have to invest in a calibration tool/device because it looks like crap compared to non LB mode, and much worse than my Asus VG236HE (using "review" settings).
Old March 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
That's funny, I didn't know you were local. I always thought you were across the pond because you had the XL2411T.
I ordered it from overclockers.co.uk -- they had a sale at only 189 quid (British Pounds), which translated to not much more than 300 dollars Canadian including overseas shipping. I ordered it because it was the worlds first 1ms computer monitor, it came out before the ASUS VG248QE.

Usually 1ms vs 2ms makes no difference for most things. However, remarkably, 1ms and 2ms makes a massive difference with 3D Vision glasses and with LightBoost zero motion blur (elimination of faint trailing double-image effect; the crosstalk between refreshes). This is because the 3D Vision trick is to compress pixel persistence into the time period of a vertical blanking interval between refreshes. This is a situation where milliseconds matter; because the monitor needs to finish the refresh before the LightBoost strobe backlight flashes, and open the shutter in shutter glasses. Less leakage between left eye/right eye. More perfect looking 3D. And more perfect LightBoost 2D zero motion blur effect, too. Here, 1ms vs 2ms matters a great deal.

Regardless of 1ms or 2ms, LightBoost still shatters the pixel persistence barrer. LightBoost keeps pixel persistence in total darkness by turning off backlight between refreshes; precisely strobe the backlight only exactly on fully refreshed frames (once per refresh, more like a proper CRT). The strobe flashes can be shorter than the pixel persistence. The VG278H, normally a 2ms TN panel, was measured to have a effective (human eye) Motion Picture Response Time (MPRT) of 1.4ms during LightBoost OSD setting of 10%. It is remarkable that pixel persistence is no longer the barrier to motion blur.

NOTE: I don't use 3D glasses often. I got it for the complete elimination of LCD motion blur...!

Last edited by mdrejhon; March 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM.