Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Question about dvi to s-video (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/58826-question-about-dvi-s-video.html)

tt74Rocky December 30, 2012 04:23 PM

Question about dvi to s-video

Sooooo! I still have my verrrryyyy old cathodic JVC television. I plug it in my computer throught a S-Video cable and set it up as an extended display to watch tons of videos and movies.

Thing is the newest video cards (like this one ill probably order tomorrow : MSI Radeon HD 7870 OC Twin Frozr III 1050MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card) do not have the S-video output anymore. So i do not know how to get the image.

Would a Dvi to Vga adapter to S-Video cable work? (see here : 15-PIN VGA TO S-VIDEO/RCA CONVERTER ADAPTER CABLE LEAD | eBay)

If not, what could work?

Tyvm

moocow December 30, 2012 10:17 PM

I Googled it and it seems that Apple does have a DVI to S-Video adapter. I have no clue if it works at all for PC.

Monitor and display adapter table

Amazon.com: APPLE M9267G/A DVI To Video Adapter: Electronics

IRQ Conflict December 31, 2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Would a Dvi to Vga adapter to S-Video cable work?
It would surprise me if it didn't.

JD December 31, 2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict (Post 681131)
It would surprise me if it didn't.

I'm not sure about that. I thought GPU's in the old-days had specific support for VGA to S-Video adapters? I believe the same was the case with VGA to Component.

I mean there's no harm in trying since it's a $2 cable, but just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.

I suspect you'll need something like this: Buy the Sabrent HDMI to Composite/S-Video Converter at TigerDirect.ca (not saying this is the cheapest/best, was just the first one I found)

sswilson December 31, 2012 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 681140)
I'm not sure about that. I thought GPU's in the old-days had specific support for VGA to S-Video adapters? I believe the same was the case with VGA to Component.

I mean there's no harm in trying since it's a $2 cable, but just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.

I suspect you'll need something like this: Buy the Sabrent HDMI to Composite/S-Video Converter at TigerDirect.ca (not saying this is the cheapest/best, was just the first one I found)

That's my understanding as well, it was proprietary on the VGA ports and probably not something they've carried forward to the DVI pinouts.

KaptCrunch December 31, 2012 04:59 AM

problem is TV is anolog

the JD route is the best solution hdmi converter for card mini ports are digital

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSi
The HDCP provides a robust, cost-effective and transparent method for transmitting and receiving digital entertainment similar to DVI/HDMI-compliant digital displays. HDCP encrypts the date transmitted between the DVI/HDMI connector on the graphics adapter and the display.

tt74Rocky December 31, 2012 02:10 PM

so 50/50 i guess

if it dosnt work i'll have to buy a box*