Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New monitor help!

Boy am I out of touch! I guess I need some advice on a new monitor. My samsung 226bw is showing signs of age (color banding), so its soon time.

IPS vs TN? Is TN only really needed for 3d gaming? Is a 120hz refresh rate really going to be noticeable gaming? I've been gaming for years at my current 60hz. (crossfired 6850's). I'd like to be around the $200 range, so maybe that rules out TN/120hz anyways.

I bought the monitor I currently have because of the 16:10 aspect ratio. Are most new 1080 monitors 16:9? Anyone care to share a preference? Should I look for a monitor that does 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080? Or would it not display 1080 properly?

Any brand preferences? Was there something about Samsung not even making their own monitor panels anymore? That they only focus on TV's and not PC monitors? So is samsung still good, or would you suggest Dell or Asus before Samsung?

I don't remember monitor shopping being this complicated before
Thanks for any help or advice!

edit: I'd be looking at 22 to 24" in size. It would be nice to jump up to 24" if it was a good deal!

Last edited by ccm001; December 22, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm pretty much a novice with the technical side but if you are thinking of LCD vs LED - LED is far superior colour IMHO. I have two LED's on either side of one LCD and I see the difference. Try as a I may I cannot adjust the colour on the LCD to be as vivid and clear as the LED screens. I'm just waiting for a good excuse to get a third LED for my middle screen. (My side screens are 20" whereas my centre screen is 24).

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

LCD is the screen -- LED is the light source. LED is used in LCD screens, as is the older cold cathode fluorescent lamp, to provide the back light (there are other types of backlights used, but for consumer LCD displays it's usually LED or CCFL). LED colour reproduction accuracy in LCDs is dependent upon design, and particularly whether white LEDs or the more accurate RGB LED arrangement.

All 1080p monitors are 16:9 -- 1080 is shorthand for 1920x1080, which is a 16:9 resolution. If you want to 16:10 you have to buy a resolution that matches, which in the monitor space these days is 1920x1200 or 2560x1600. Most monitors which display 16:10 are higher end versions, due to 16:9 being a more efficient use of the screen materials and therefore cheaper to produce in quantity. 16:10 monitors rarely have issues displaying 16:9 content -- letterboxing is the usual means.

IPS versus TN is, at the same price, generally a matter of trading image quality (particularly colour reproduction) for speed. IPS is slower and more prone to ghosting (residual images) in fast-paced scenarios, but it's an individual matter of how much ghosting you notice or can tolerate. At the $200 price point, you'd be looking at e-IPS screens (less expensive but not as good image quality as s-IPS, more expensive but much better image quality compared to TN).
Old December 23, 2012, 11:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks galcobar!

How about something like this:
Newegg.ca - ASUS VS239H-P Black 23" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1, IPS Panel

I can buy it at a local box store for $189 - that way I can easily return it if not happy.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've narrowed my list down to 3 possibilities for 23", all about the same price range right now with sales, etc.
I would really appreciate some advice on which one to go with:

ASUS - Displays- ASUS VS239H-P

UltraSharp U2312HM 23-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor : Monitors: Flat Screen LCD Computer Displays | Dell Canada

HP 23" IPS LED Backlit Monitor with 7 ms Response Time (2311XI) : 22" - 23" Monitors - Future Shop
(which futureshop says is ips, but hp says panel type is tn?)
Old December 27, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Grab the dell and be very happy, great customer support and warranty to boot.
I'm actually surprised that ips is in your price range, I paid MUCH more for my u2311h, though that was near 2 years ago now.

Basically what you want to look at is what is more important for you.. smoothness in games / fast action on screen vs colour reproduction & image quality

Having compared the 2 side by side my choice will always be an IPS screen, it's just better for much more of the time.
That said if gaming (especially fast-paced games) are your go to thing then a 120hz TN panel may be the choice for you. It is noticeably smoother than 60hz and the response times help some too.

As for resolution, 1920x1200 (16:10) is far far superior for everything bar movie watching(just adds some more letter-boxing).
Unfortunately your looking at 24" ips panels for the most part to reach it and they are a fair bit more expensive (though this is going from memory, have a look around)

24" 1920x1200 would be my go-to monitor of choice but only if you can justify the extra cost.
That said a 27" 2560x1440 is about the same price if your willing to look at the catleaps, though both are probably over your budget