Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Four Monitors? What does it take?

I've got a perfectly good monitor that I'm not using, so I thought to myself; "Self, why don't you see if you can find a way to hook it up to your current array of three monitors?" This fourth monitor is a 19" LG that can be rotated to a portrait position which makes it about as tall as my main monitor, it will mean more than 60" of monitors across.

Desktop real estate issues aside, what does it take to run four monitors?

I have two HD6670 video cards running in crossfire under AMD Catalyst (actually it says AMD Vision Engine Control Center). I'm using AMD's Eyefinity to create one virtual screen out of three (two 20" on each side of one 24" main screen in the middle).

It seems to be working well. (Two minor problems, 1) In Windows 8 the system reverts to the Default 'Daisy' theme everytime and I can't seem to get it not to do this, and 2) on restart the third monitor turns off but does not come back on like the other two. (This is the monitor connected through the Displayport via a Displayport to DVI adaptor, again no solutions yet)

SO ~ my question, will the system recognize a fourth monitor hooked up to the second video card, right now all three monitors are hooked up to video card #1. My second video card does not have a displayport but does have HDMI, DVI and a D-sub output. I have two GB DDR3 VRAM on the one card and 1 GB DDR5 VRAM on the other.

I do have the option of using my APU as my second videocard, it is supposed to be close to the same as a HD6670, and there is an onboard displayport. So that is the option. In which case I'd have a HD6670 for sale as it would just be taking up space in my box.

Now to come up with a good reason why I need four monitors.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

A little research at the AMD website confirms that the HD6670 can handle more than five monitors, however the third and subsequent monitors must be attached to a displayport. I only have one displayport between the two cards, so I think I'm hooped if I want to keep both cards active. MAYbe if I don't use the HD6670 that does not have a displayport, and just settle for the one HD6670 running in dual mode with the APU which does have a displayport. BUT it would mean buying another Active Displayport adaptor ($35) and there is no guarantee it would work. Given I really have no need for the fourth monitor, and have not yet solved the desktop real estate problem (I'd probably have to resort to wall mounting all my screens to get them all in a row) I'm not sure I'd take a chance on spending $35 in vain and going though the efforts to configure this fourth monitor.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Is AMD's Eyefinity the only way to manage multiple monitors? I do want to have them all (or at least three of the four) act as one screen as they do in AMD's Eyefinity. I'm running AMD's HD6670 graphic cards and an AMD APU.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

a single 6xx Nvidia will handle 4 monitors.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
Is AMD's Eyefinity the only way to manage multiple monitors? I do want to have them all (or at least three of the four) act as one screen as they do in AMD's Eyefinity. I'm running AMD's HD6670 graphic cards and an AMD APU.
Now I'm not completely sure but I think only the high end video cards will allow you to run 4 monitors, the mid range cards can run 3 and the low range can run 2.

Unless I somehow live under a rock and they created a splitter for DVI or HDMI, I don't think there's any way of doing it, with a mid range card.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default And then there is the real estate issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Now I'm not completely sure but I think only the high end video cards will allow you to run 4 monitors, the mid range cards can run 3 and the low range can run 2.

Unless I somehow live under a rock and they created a splitter for DVI or HDMI, I don't think there's any way of doing it, with a mid range card.
Ah ha, a good excuse to upgrade to a high end video card.

But then there is the need find desktop real estate for that fourth monitor.

But in a way I now have a fourth monitor on my desk. My Playbook sits up in its charging unit competing for attention like a mouse in front of an elephant. Actually find myself using his seven inch devise while I sit in front of 55" of monitors, playing with a $149 unit while the PC costing ten times that much sits idle. Oh well, that's "progress".

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 17, 2013, 06:02 AM
Allstar

If you take the video cards out of crossfire you can use the 2nd card, otherwise it is a just a slave with dummy ports. Now with AMD GPUs other then dual link dvi, if you got the ports you can use em for eyefinity. There are low end card specifically built with 5 or 6 display ports for a workstation setup.

Side note, if your not gaming then the 6670's are fine... but 2 6670s in crossfire with any modern game are going to choke something awful. There is just not enough ram, or umph to drive 3 or 4 monitors. I had to dump 2 6870s in crossfire because they were not enough for triple monitor.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

FWIW when I had my gaming rig with a 6970 in it.

1x monitor connected natively to DP
1x monitor with active DP adapter
2x monitor with DVI

Worked pretty flawlessly once you figured out how to arrange the desktop in the way you wanted it.