Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default ASUS VG278H 27” 3D Gaming Monitor Review

Noticed there was no link here for this review. I am VERY interested in jumping into the 3D gaming thing since my old monitor was brutally murdered by my nephew during my last move. I am being kicked off the main TV (LG 52" LCD). My wife hates me now. I take over the set.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; December 19, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AkG, could you let us know what your test rig used for this review was? Did you find it a silky smooth ride? Or did it feel somewhat ham fisted?

You seemed to be more or less pleased with the experience. barring the low resolution issue. Would you be interested in doing a performance evaluation based in a low/med/high scenario with regards to the hardware necessary to comfortably enjoy the 3D experience at some point?
Old December 19, 2012, 06:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Just saw this thread. Good bump as I missed it before. :)

Honestly, this is a decent gaming monitor. But I can honestly say that I prefer the H version. 120Hz vs 144Hz is going to be a non-issue unless you have dual or triple GPUs (and can over-saturate a 120 monitor). Even then its not going to make that big a difference as 120 is smooooth. Add in some issues with screen uniformity and the like and while good it was not an monitor I could see purchasing for myself (I actually own the H version). ALSO (last time I checked) its 144Hz in 2D but the NV 3D V2 max out at 120....making the 'edge' a 2D only 'edge'.

Personally if you are interested in 3D gaming get the H. For 2D, go for a higher res monitor. 1080P 2D gaming on a 27 monitor is a less than optimal experience (usually).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; December 19, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: bloody autocorrect..its H no 'he'
Old December 19, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks AkG.

Forgive my confusion, work has burnt me out some. So, your recommendation is to go with the HE version and buy the 3D kit separately?

What card did you use in the review of this monitor?

Maybe I should get the 3D kit and extra video card at the same time. Just go 2D until then?
Old December 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ah crap. That is what I get for answering on my phone with bloody autocorrect. Get the H not 'HE' model. I'll edit my previous post with non-retarded recomendation.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

LMAO

Thanks buddy.