Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2012, 08:32 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Dell S2740L 27” IPS Monitor Review Comment Thread

Is it possible to have a monitor that looks as good as it performs? In the past, the answer to that question was a resounding "no" but Dell is on a mission to prove history wrong. Their new S2740L may not be part of the vaunted UltraSharp lineup but it incorporates an IPS panel alongside some of the most stunning aesthetics we've seen from a desktop display.

Read more here: Dell S2740L 27” IPS Monitor Review
Old December 4, 2012, 11:02 PM
Allstar

#spellingnazi

your page 2 title ("specificactions") has an extra 'c'
Old December 5, 2012, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Not a bad looking screen at all! Now lets just see the same design and size, but with the lovely 1440p res...

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am a firm believer that 27" computer monitors should not be 1080p, but a higher resolution. For that reason I wouldn't consider this monitor, but it does look sexy and has a great price tag for IPS. Really well done review, I feel like all the pros and cons are very well discussed and the tradeoffs in each case :)

Still, not something I'll be buying :P
Old December 5, 2012, 08:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I didn't even bother going past the first page once I saw 1080p. Absolute minimum for a monitor over 22" should 1900/1200. 1080p is a restriction on TV viewing, it should not be applied to a PC monitor.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 5, 2012, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

100% agree with everyone on the resolution. I thought the same thing. After trying Crysis 2 played with the MaLDo mod at 2560X1600 I know this the where we need to be going, not 1080
Old December 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

"Somehow, even with the competition regularly breathing down their necks, Dell has managed to remain the go-to source for quality monitors. Regardless of whether gaming, image editing or movies is the focus of a purchase, chances are Dell will have something that either meets or exceeds expectations."

I would disagree with the premise of this opening statement in the review. I certainly wouldn't go to Dell for a number of top quality applications. I provide advice on a lot of equipment for the health care industry for example, and I would never choose a Dell monitor for their high-end applications... Only manufacturers like NEC and Barco can meet the exacting demands there. Even for image editing, I wouldn't use Dell, especially if I want proper colour matching... Again NEC would be a far better choice, as would LaCie.

Old December 5, 2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
"Somehow, even with the competition regularly breathing down their necks, Dell has managed to remain the go-to source for quality monitors. Regardless of whether gaming, image editing or movies is the focus of a purchase, chances are Dell will have something that either meets or exceeds expectations."

I would disagree with the premise of this opening statement in the review. I certainly wouldn't go to Dell for a number of top quality applications. I provide advice on a lot of equipment for the health care industry for example, and I would never choose a Dell monitor for their high-end applications... Only manufacturers like NEC and Barco can meet the exacting demands there. Even for image editing, I wouldn't use Dell, especially if I want proper colour matching... Again NEC would be a far better choice, as would LaCie.
You are comparing apples to oranges. The review and this site in general is dedicated to mass market products available in the retail channel unless otherwise specified (example: WD RE, Intel 700 / 3400 SSD, etc.). You are comparing institution-class items that typically cost several thousand dollars with products that people buy for home and small office use. For their intended market (consumer / small & medium business), there's no doubt in my mind that Dell is the manufacturer of choice and the quality of their monitor offerings is among the best.

In addition, I am not sure where exactly your claim of Dell not meeting the expectations of the healthcare system comes in. Siemens almost exclusively uses Dell monitors in conjunction with their clinical imaging solutions, as does GE.

As for the higher end professional fields, LaCie and NEC may offer (SLIGHTLY) higher performing solutions but they are ultra expensive. Comparing Dell's solutions to those is like comparing a $1000 Ultrabook's performance to that of a $3000 Alienware M18x.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anybody else frustrated that monitors aren't getting higher PPI.

I want a 120hz, 300 or more PPI, 2ms response, billion colours, etc. One can dream. I don't think 300 PPI is really needed unless you are really close but 100 PPI is about the highest right now for consumer displays.

Sad that the monitor market is stagnant.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 5, 2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Anybody else frustrated that monitors aren't getting higher PPI.

I want a 120hz, 300 or more PPI, 2ms response, billion colours, etc. One can dream. I don't think 300 PPI is really needed unless you are really close but 100 PPI is about the highest right now for consumer displays.

Sad that the monitor market is stagnant.
I hate to say it, but it will take Apple coming out with something different to shift this space. Until that point, customers will be "satisfied" with 1080P crap.