Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default DisplayPort monitor vs. 1080p HDTV - Any difference?

Very shortly, I will need a new display for my desktop. Main options are a 23" LED monitor with DisplayPort & speakers, or a 24" 1080p HDTV connected via HDMI. My computer usage is balanced between web surfing, game playing & movie watching. Also, I tend to sit at the computer desk, so I am relatively close.

Is the monitor the better choice, or would it not make much difference in my situation?
Old November 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
Rookie

Not at all, but there will be slight differences.

First, HDTVs are not really meant for gaming, and have a slower response time than most monitors. And make sure that the HDTV is Full HD and not HD Ready[720p native but will play 1080p resolution]

Next thing will be the cost of those beauties

Lastly, what I prefer to know, is what color panel will the monitor or the HDTV have. You know TN/VA/IPS panels? I would generally prefer a monitor which has an IPS panel[They are costly], or lastly a VA panel. I will never go TN again.

Not much can I think of now... so yea, they will be pretty much the same.