Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   PC monitor similar to Apple's? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/57859-pc-monitor-similar-apples.html)

hungh November 12, 2012 09:26 PM

PC monitor similar to Apple's?

I got a Dell U2311H and its an IPS panel but for some reason, when I walk into futureshop and look at those generic glossy monitors, I like their appearance more than my supposedly "decent" monitor. What does the PC world have that costs like 200-300 dollars? I can't really afford a 1k monitor from Apple.

jibz November 12, 2012 10:05 PM

★ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-IPSB 27" LED 2560x1440 16:9 6ms Monitor★Tempered Glass ★ | eBay

ISP panels from Korea with tempered glass?

$350-420 range isn't too high but I would call that comparable to apple's $1000. Don't expect a $1000 when you are paying $350 though.

To find more models type "2560x1440 glass" into ebay.

Note: These monitors aren't available from retail stores in north America because of alot of reasons like having to get FCC approved and all that, but are great products regardless.

Birk November 12, 2012 10:33 PM

Don't expect $1000 worth or difference from the Apple one either. I've used one of them and I am mostly amazed at how overpriced the damn thing is and the fact that people will flock to buy anything for any price just because it has an apple logo on it.

JD November 13, 2012 05:48 AM

Although glossy monitors with glass overtop may look nice, they are terrible if you have any sort of lighting in your room. You'll get far too much glare and reflections IMO.

If you compute in a dark room, I guess it is beneficial then since it does make the colours "pop". Still though, on an all-black screen, I suspect you'll see your reflection more so than the image on the screen.

concinnity December 11, 2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birk (Post 670490)
Don't expect $1000 worth or difference from the Apple one either. I've used one of them and I am mostly amazed at how overpriced the damn thing is and the fact that people will flock to buy anything for any price just because it has an apple logo on it.

Amen to that.

Perineum December 11, 2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibz (Post 670485)

Ergh, that one allows for 5 dead pixels before a return.....!

ultraman7k December 11, 2012 11:17 PM

There's quite a bit of talk of dead pixels when it comes to importing these monitors, not sure why, but there just are.

YukonTrooper December 11, 2012 11:30 PM

When you say "glossy generic monitors" you mean cheaper TN panel monitors, correct? If you like the look of those over your Dell, then you have many options. There's nothing for $300 that will look like an IPS with a clear display, however (Apple's display).

SKYMTL December 12, 2012 06:56 AM

You also have to remember that in stores, they jack up the backlight brightness to levels that would likely burn your corneas out when used at home. This does give them more "punch" at store level but it would be unrealistic for your home.

great_big_abyss December 12, 2012 07:32 AM

You have a Dell IPS panel...isn't that one of the best PC monitors money can buy?