Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2012, 05:57 AM
Top Prospect

Default LED TV as monitor?

I was just wondering about TVs and monitors. I had the impression that older TVs and monitors were not good candidates to do both. But, what about now?

Which is better to do both? I thought, probably TVs. A LED TV is probably better suited for both?

If you were buying a display for watching TV but ideally, it could double as a monitor (a way of having a larger monitor screen), is there any options? Also, what is the ideal size? I think some people even say a monitor any larger than 42" is actually a drawback. You need it further away from the computer etc.

Maybe a 32" LED would be good? Or is a TV/monitor mostly purchased for gaming? This TV would be used for watching TV. No gaming. In that case, is it better to buy the TV for TV viewing and the (LED) monitor for the computer?

Any advice?

Thanks.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

If its not for gaming it will be perfectly fine. I use a 46" LCD for my HTPC and it also serves as a computer for the living room. Only downfall? You need to change your screen DPI for font rendering.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:17 PM
Rookie

it really depends on the room size and distance from where you will see the tv. As you said that u wont be using it for gaming, so the best bet would be to optimize the dpi settings so that texts are readable from a good distance of 9 to 10 feet.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:15 PM
Top Prospect

It's for an apartment. Does 10-15 feet away sound right?

I'm a bit confused, though. I read that the TVs were not good (once upon a time) because of resolution but so many are 1080p now. So, does that mean it can function as well as a monitor or not?

True LED monitors don't have a TV Tuner so you need a cable box or a TV Tuner pci/pci-e card or something like that? I'm not sure but they used to be mostly analog but maybe some are digital nowadays?

What does the hdmi port for modern video cards offer? Just HD audio/video?

Maybe someone can explain the pros and cons of either method?

I suppose price would be $100 to $300....not sure yet.

Someone in a computer store said it's best to get the LED monitor if it's to be dual function, using as a TV or switching to monitor. But, a TV probably allows a more convenient switch to cable TV use? Either would be good for videos (movies, etc. from DVD/.avi/HD/h264 etc.) but for cable TV feeds and doubling as a monitor???? I guess the comparison is between 1080p TV sets and PC monitors, regardless.

Both have HDMI ports so I am unsure of which is the better choice for versatility and providing a good picture whether it's for TV or PC monitor. I am also guessing that it should be between '23 and 27' with 24" probably being a good bet for offering the most choices?
Old November 1, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

You're asking far to many questions and over thinking this. I sit less than 8 feet from my tv and its a 46 inch tv.

Buy whatever tv you want and hook up the computer via hdmi for best picture.

Done.
Old November 2, 2012, 12:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Let me put it like this. I sit 2 feet away from my 30" monitor. The last time I hooked a PC up to my 46", I was sitting 8 feet away. My monitor fills way more of my point of view than my TV does, and provides a more immersive experience.

Looking at a 46" TV at 8 feet is like looking at a 22" monitor at 2 feet. I find it easier to read a monitor than a TV, so if your biggest use is web surfing / office use stick to a monitor on your desk. Basically, buy your TV based on TV/movie viewing, not on occasional computer usage.
Old November 2, 2012, 01:21 AM
Rookie

whichever tv you go for, first look if it is Full HD or HD Ready. You should go for Full HD as it will properly display 1080p content.

Next thing, tv tuner will only be used if you are just using a computer with monitor who doesnt have a HDMI or something similar kinda input built in them.

But in your case you are using a LED Tv as a monitor, and a 32in or higher has more than enough ports to do multi use[pc/tv] so dont need to buy a tv tuner.

As you said that you are going to be around 10 to 15 feet away, its better to go around 40in to 46in. Try standing that far away in a TV showroom and see how big it looks. If you are comfortable with it, then go for it. Similarly try for the 32in you were talking abt.

Finally, 120hz and 240hz, 800hz!!! is just not really what it seems to be. I watched a samsung 6 series led which had a high refresh rate, after 15mins i realized it looked so unreal and fake. Just a tip.

Hence, led tv are not that bad, except for the text size thingy, once that is resolved, its gonna work wonderful.

PS: use to text to speech if you want to :P
Old November 2, 2012, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

I measured it and it's approx 8-9. So, then?

So, a TV connected to a computer, I need hdmi so I have to use a digital cable box? What about video cards with hdmi ports? That's just to watch movies or video (files) that are on the computer, right?

If it's a monitor, to use it with a digital cable box and via a cable feed, I can use hdmi still.

So, the main difference is changing the settings when using a TV with a computer. I have to change dpi?

If I go the TV route, I definitely will make sure it's Full HD or HD Ready and 1080p res. This is for someone else but I'm just trying to find out all the info. I wish it was for me but I want to be able to say I researched it and had feedback from those 'in the know!' :-)

P.S. One of the advantages of the TV, especially a size > 24" so say, 32" for e.g., is that the bigger screen (@ 1080p?) would allow more options? I am looking for a display for someone who needs glasses and eyesight isn't the best. So, this could be something to keep in mind, right? Is there any advantage then for choosing a TV that is 24"+ for the dual-purpose (subbing for a PC monitor)? I am just guessing, but I think it might be 50/50 in terms of time or duty. Fifty percent of the time as a computer monitor and the other half of the time as TV or movie/show watching. For instance, used as a computer monitor then on breaks, either watching movies or videos on the computer or watching cable TV.

Last edited by fubar; November 2, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old November 2, 2012, 12:07 PM
Rookie

the setup should be something like this

PC with a low end GPU that has HDMI port
Digital Cable Box w/ HDMI
LED TV[Full HD] with 2 or more HDMI Ports
2 HDMI Cables

take one HDMi cable and connect the pc and the tv, and take the other cable and do the same with the digital cable box and the TV.

Since its for you friend, take him to a local store, and ask him to stand 9 feet away from the whole range of LED tvs and then see which one would suite his vision.
Reading text will be kinda hard but tweeking the dpi settings in windows will do the trick.

TV tuners will come in handy if you plan to watch tv after booting up the computer and then starting the software to run the TV.

If you want, connect a PS3/Xbox if more ports are available, or wait for Wii U xD

Even I have weak eyesight, I use my glasses if I am sitting far away to read small texts. I just tested on my 21in monitor without using the glasses and damn I had to fully zoom in to be able to read properly. And I am like 6 feet away.

There is also magnifier in windows that people use to watch, so not a really big issue.

In a nutshell, LED TV are good. its just a display monitor but enlarged and with more connectivity features.
Old November 3, 2012, 09:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

9 feet away is far too much of a distance to be used with a 24" or 27" monitor, or even a 32" TV acting as a monitor. You'd ideally want 42" or possibly 46/47". You might be able to do 37/39" but if bad eyesight is in play, probably 40"+ is what I would suggest.

1) If you want to watch TV in 1080i/720p you're going to need a digital cable box anyway, whether a TV or monitor is connected to it, so that should not be a concern. With a TV you can watch good old (SD) standard definition cable, but it looks quite poor on larger LCD screens.

2) TVs can sometimes have issues with red or green text on black backgrounds, or black text on a red or green background. This is because they lack 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling. Most people don't care, but this always bugged me and can possibly bother someone with sensitive eyes if they are viewing red/green text, etc.... There are relevant threads on ********* and AVSforum on that subject, where some good "PC friendly" TVs are suggested

3) If you aren't doing any FPS gaming then this might not matter, but a lot of TVs have a fair bit of input lag. You ideally want a screen with a low lag mode, usually called a "game mode". A lot of TVs will pair this mode with 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling on an HDMI interface marked as PC or HDMI/DVI. That's a good dual-purpose TV. The low lag mode can also be useful for console gaming.

The Samsung EH5000 models (ie. UNxxEH5000) and LG LS5600 series look to be a good place to start for dual purpose TVs according to [H]ardforum posters.

Here's the [H]ardforum thread that talks about this, along with recommendations and references the AVS Forum thread. Unfortunately the first post is fairly dated now, but later posts in the thread discuss newer models:

You'll have to look for the 4:4:4 sampling thread on [H]ardforum, as the post editor turns the web site name into asterisks.

As for cabling, a video card with HDMI output works best for video and sound, but if you are pumping computer audio into speakers or headphones, a DVI port with DVI to HDMI cable works well too.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732