Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Like I said, these lower-end ones have that... in other words, they purposely cripple them, I've seen it many times.
Yup sounds like the panel maxed out but you would need a dvi or hdmi cable to confirm. Might also say in the manual.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yup sounds like the panel maxed out but you would need a dvi or hdmi cable to confirm. Might also say in the manual.
As far as I could tell, the list for the resolutions in the manual did show a limit for VGA. 1360x766 as the limit. Crippled, then? In the monitor settings of the PC, that was an option but also 1366 x 768 which seems to be a more appropriate resolution for PC use, right?

Anyway, it sounds like you guys are right. Still, what a rip! Even video cards show a much higher res limit for VGA connections but I guess that's applicable to normal PC monitors.

Edit:
Unboxing The Toshiba 24L4200U LED TV - YouTube

"Highest Resolution for VGA is 1366x768 as far i know , for 1920x1080 you have to use HDMI cable..."

Thanks for the help/advice, guys! You guys are awesome!

I'm working on getting a hdmi cable.
Old November 7, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should be using HDMI rather than VGA anyways. You can pickup a cheap HDMI cable for a couple of bucks at Monoprice or DealExtreme or something similar. FYI Black Friday is the weekend after Thanksgiving in the States, where people line up like crazy trying to get a few items that are on sale at different stores. Some of the deals are extremely good but in very limited quantaties. Since a lot of Canadians liked to head down to the States and shop during this weekend, Canadian retailers started taking part in Black Friday sales as to keep business within the country. TV's are usually on sale on Black Friday which is why I mentioned it. I see you already bought one though, so yeah.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
Rookie

which led tv did you buy?? bcuz most of them, which are lower than 30inch, have a 720p resolution. For example the new line of IPS LED TV by LG, i wanted a small one, but then figured out that the resolution it supports is a 720p native
now i wish i had came here earlier and told you that bit of info :(

LED LCD TVs: Find Best LED Televisions | LG India

there you will see that the low end ones only have 720p support[HD ready, sounds familiar?]
if it is possible to return it, please do so and get a dedicated Monitor that has a hdmi output and dvi for your purposes. I would prefer the Asus PA238Q, its an IPS panel, with enough connectivity features for your use.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
You should be using HDMI rather than VGA anyways. You can pickup a cheap HDMI cable for a couple of bucks at Monoprice or DealExtreme or something similar. FYI Black Friday is the weekend after Thanksgiving in the States, where people line up like crazy trying to get a few items that are on sale at different stores. Some of the deals are extremely good but in very limited quantaties. Since a lot of Canadians liked to head down to the States and shop during this weekend, Canadian retailers started taking part in Black Friday sales as to keep business within the country. TV's are usually on sale on Black Friday which is why I mentioned it. I see you already bought one though, so yeah.
Yeah, I'm okay at waiting but some people are impatient. :) I've been told the hdmi cables have arrived so 1080p res. should be available now. :)

The Black Friday sale might be interesting. I wouldn't mind a larger screen myself. :) Do you know anything about splitting cable (TV)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summak View Post
which led tv did you buy?? bcuz most of them, which are lower than 30inch, have a 720p resolution. For example the new line of IPS LED TV by LG, i wanted a small one, but then figured out that the resolution it supports is a 720p native
now i wish i had came here earlier and told you that bit of info :(

LED LCD TVs: Find Best LED Televisions | LG India

there you will see that the low end ones only have 720p support[HD ready, sounds familiar?]
if it is possible to return it, please do so and get a dedicated Monitor that has a hdmi output and dvi for your purposes. I would prefer the Asus PA238Q, its an IPS panel, with enough connectivity features for your use.
Oh, it's a native 1080p LED TV. It's the Toshiba (same one in the video above) 24L4200U. It was agreed that no matter the set, it would be 1080p.

I thought it would have been best to wait but some people are impatient. Yeah, that LG 32" set looks good and is IPS. The potential problem I see is that it probably would be out of the budget. I'm guessing that is a $600 set once it's available here.

I think 1080p was the priority and it was deemed acceptable at the 24" size. I'm not sure what I'd want if I was buying for myself. I like having a TV or some video playing in the background.
Old November 11, 2012, 03:38 AM
Top Prospect

A video file was copied to a usb stick but it wasn't recognized by the TV. Even in the manual, there is no mention of it playing video on a usb flash drive. Is that normal?

I have a 32" LCD TV and it plays video that is on usb sticks. In fact, it recognizes any file on the stick (so far). So what is going on? Not going to be a happy camper recommending a TV to someone when they can't have this feature.

The only other workaround would be to have a DVD player that supports usb? Not sure what to do now. But, I would like to know why it doesn't recognize video files on usb while other sets do. So odd! ???
Old November 11, 2012, 03:38 AM
Top Prospect

A video file was copied to a usb stick but it wasn't recognized by the TV. Even in the manual, there is no mention of it playing video on a usb flash drive. Is that normal?

I have a 32" LCD TV and it plays video that is on usb sticks. In fact, it recognizes any file on the stick (so far). So what is going on? Not going to be a happy camper recommending a TV to someone when they can't have this feature.

The only other workaround would be to have a DVD player that supports usb? Not sure what to do now. But, I would like to know why it doesn't recognize video files on usb while other sets do. So odd! ???
Old November 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Try putting in different video files type [avi/mkv/mp4/wmv] and see which one of them will play, cuz my boss had a 32in led tv, where we used an external hdd, and it playd all avi files fine, but when tried the mkv 1080p files, the video played but there was no audio. So try out different combinations of file types.

But why use usb when PC + VLC/GOM/Whatever will do everything????

And good that its native res is 1080p, get the HDMI and see the wonders 8D