Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2012, 07:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I can't really tell no difference ,I used to game on my Dell 24" at 1920x 1200 but when i moved into my small appartment I just started useing my LG PM6700 3D-50" plasma since it has my netflix built in and the games looks beatiful on it.Plus I did't have room to set up at two different places. I have no ghosting and no Image retenion like on old plasma's.I set around 6 feet from it and it works out perfect.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old November 5, 2012, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

Well, we're looking at 24" LED 1080p sets now. Can anyone recommend a good one? So far, I'm looking at the ones at FS and Best Buy. I know they might not be the best but I thought they are as good as any. There probably aren't a lot of great sets at this size and price. They are the Insignia and Toshiba. You know either of those?

Edit: Btw, the Toshiba has 'Game Mode.' I'm not sure about the Insignia.

Any thoughts on those? I guess the idea is that if we decide we need it larger, it will become a bedroom set. But, for now, I think it will be sufficient for dual purpose monitor and TV. I think 8 ft is far enough away as movie watching was done on a 20" monitor before. No one is fussy here. :) I was more worried about whether a larger set was better for gaining more real estate but the budget is sub-$300 for now.

If there's a better set someplace else or it's better to order online from another vendor, that would be considered, too.

What do you guys think? Does it sound acceptable? I guess this means there's no IPS or other technologies or extra features but I think such a set can become a decent bedroom set if it's too small.

But, a 24" should be pretty good for a monitor when using it for that. Yeah, for a TV, maybe a bit small but $200-ish is ok to try it out.

Thanks for all the replies. 'Hopefully, there can be a few more responses on the latest ideas. :)
Old November 5, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Insignia is fine. I have a 46" and the only real complaint I have is the backlight bleed on the right side but even then its tolerable.

Game mode is unnecessary as you won't plan to be gaming on this anyways. IPS for general desktop use isn't worth it either.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I kinda skimmed this thread but not sure as to what the big discussion is here. Go to Best Buy, look for a TV $300 or less that is 1080p - which really, 720p would be fine for both TV and web browsing (especially if you're not using an HD cable/satellite receiver, and even then a lot of it is only 720p), buy it and then plug your computer in using HDMI. Done. I would also go with minimum 32" with how far away you're sitting.

You can also easily find a 32" for $300 these days. Go to the FS/BB website and sort TV's by price and check them out. If you want me to actually link something that you can buy, then sure here you go;

Insignia 32" 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (NS-32E440A13) : 30" - 39" LED TVs - Best Buy Canada

or $20 more for 39"

Insignia 39" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (NS-39L240A13) : 30" - 39" LCD TVs - Best Buy Canada

And I guess if you reaaaaally want to cheap out and go with a 24" then this one:

Insignia 24" 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (NS-24E340A13) : 21" - 29" LED TVs - Best Buy Canada

Those are all Insignia since they're the cheapest of all brands. I have not personally owned one or viewed one other than at BB/FS so I can't comment on quality but enab says they're alright so they must be half decent. I'd prefer either a Samsung/Sony/LG

You may even want to wait and see if there will be any Black Friday sales on TV's.

Last edited by headsh0t; November 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
I kinda skimmed this thread but not sure as to what the big discussion is here. Go to Best Buy, look for a TV $300 or less that is 1080p - which really, 720p would be fine for both TV and web browsing (especially if you're not using an HD cable/satellite receiver, and even then a lot of it is only 720p), buy it and then plug your computer in using HDMI. Done. I would also go with minimum 32" with how far away you're sitting.

You can also easily find a 32" for $300 these days. Go to the FS/BB website and sort TV's by price and check them out. If you want me to actually link something that you can buy, then sure here you go;

Insignia 32" 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (NS-32E440A13) : 30" - 39" LED TVs - Best Buy Canada

or $20 more for 39"

Insignia 39" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (NS-39L240A13) : 30" - 39" LCD TVs - Best Buy Canada

And I guess if you reaaaaally want to cheap out and go with a 24" then this one:

Insignia 24" 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (NS-24E340A13) : 21" - 29" LED TVs - Best Buy Canada

Those are all Insignia since they're the cheapest of all brands. I have not personally owned one or viewed one other than at BB/FS so I can't comment on quality but enab says they're alright so they must be half decent. I'd prefer either a Samsung/Sony/LG

You may even want to wait and see if there will be any Black Friday sales on TV's.
Black Friday?

I think the 32" Insignia LED 1080p set looks good. The Insignias with smaller screens seem to have inferior hardware compared to other smaller (e.g. 24") sets, the Toshiba mentioned, for e.g. This is from my research. I think it makes sense. I think I'd have to go with 32" if getting the Insignia brand.

But, my concern and questions regard the part-time use as a PC monitor. I agree, 32" would be way better when using it as a TV compared to the 24". But, when using PC Input, I am not sure how that would work. It seems like a very large screen for web surfing, word processing, photo editing etc. How far away would one have to sit? Would you need a separate desk/stand?

The 32" Insignia LED 1080p set is $300, yes, so that price isn't bad for that size and specs. But, I think the usual distance from a monitor would probably be too close at that size? I think most PC monitors out there seem to go up to 27", right?

Any comments?

I think we're leaning towards the 24" but we're going to visit a FS to just take a look and see if any minds change. Thanks for the reply/replies! :-)
Old November 6, 2012, 06:28 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Insignia is fine. I have a 46" and the only real complaint I have is the backlight bleed on the right side but even then its tolerable.

Game mode is unnecessary as you won't plan to be gaming on this anyways. IPS for general desktop use isn't worth it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Let me put it like this. I sit 2 feet away from my 30" monitor. The last time I hooked a PC up to my 46", I was sitting 8 feet away. My monitor fills way more of my point of view than my TV does, and provides a more immersive experience.

Looking at a 46" TV at 8 feet is like looking at a 22" monitor at 2 feet. I find it easier to read a monitor than a TV, so if your biggest use is web surfing / office use stick to a monitor on your desk. Basically, buy your TV based on TV/movie viewing, not on occasional computer usage.
I should have multi-quoted all of this, sorry. :)

Are you guys saying not to use the TV as monitor then? That way you can just go on budget and pick the size that fits the budget. Or is 32" the threshold to use as TV/monitor? It's a bit large but not too bad for a monitor size, maybe a bit over than one would like? Still, it could work?

The current monitor is 20" so could still be used for computer use. Anyway, perhaps, there will be a changed mind when we see the sets in person. Or the 24" might be sufficient. Not sure if it's desired to have two units sitting there but I wouldn't mind if it was me. I guess an upgrade in size of the monitor is desired and if it's dual-purpose, then it's satisfactory. I think that is the reasoning but it's not for me so I'm just guessing there.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

I agreed with the comments here and thought the 32" was a good choice, but the 24" was chosen.

However, since no hdmi cables were available, the PC input and vga cables were used to test it as a monitor.

But, the resolution choices only go up to 1360 x 766 and 1366 x 768 (I think I got those right). What gives?

Is it the standard? I am sure that hdmi cable/input will allow for 1980 x 1020 but is there some reason it doesn't have native resolution with VGA input?
Old November 7, 2012, 10:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the world of using TV's for monitors. Many TV's, especially lower-end ones, have a lower resolution for the PC input.

Old November 7, 2012, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Vga can do 1080p resolution so something else is up.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Like I said, these lower-end ones have that... in other words, they purposely cripple them, I've seen it many times.