Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   HDMI vs DisplayPort (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/57375-hdmi-vs-displayport.html)

Skippman October 19, 2012 07:20 AM

HDMI vs DisplayPort
 
I know DisplayPort is capable of transmitting resolutions greater than 2560x1440. Is that the only major difference between them other than HDMI's ability to transmit audio?

CMetaphor October 19, 2012 07:29 AM

Nope. Displayport can also daisy-chain multiple screens at the same time and pass network signals as well - although these features are rarely used thus far, they will start to be soon (think of a receiver with displayport and one rj-45 network jack that provides internet to all connected devices via displayport: your console, smart tv, etc)

Edit: Audio wise it can also handle downstream 8-channel audio or more and 2-channel upstream audio.

Bond007 October 19, 2012 09:04 AM

As per above. I don't know the details, but it is supposed to be much more capable than Hdmi.

Arinoth October 19, 2012 09:09 AM

The standard 1.3(whatever) HDMI cable and port can only do up to 1080p resolution. I've tried hooking up an HDMI cable from my GTX 680 to my 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor and the highest resolution it'll support is 1080p, whereas through display port I can run at the maximum support resolution of my monitor.

CMetaphor October 19, 2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 664030)
The standard 1.3(whatever) HDMI cable and port can only do up to 1080p resolution. I've tried hooking up an HDMI cable from my GTX 680 to my 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor and the highest resolution it'll support is 1080p, whereas through display port I can run at the maximum support resolution of my monitor.

I'm not certain but i believe this was improved with HDMI 1.4(b?) (which also allows for 3D 1080p resolution) - its still nowhere near what DP can do though.

Arinoth October 19, 2012 09:19 AM

You could very well be true, all I know for certain is hdmi's limit for resolution seems to be 1080p, which sucks for higher resolution monitors.

CMetaphor October 19, 2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 664034)
You could very well be true, all I know for certain is hdmi's limit for resolution seems to be 1080p, which sucks for higher resolution monitors.

Twas made for TVs my friend, that's why DP is that much better.

sswilson October 19, 2012 09:46 AM

I thought DVI and HDMI was the same with the only difference being audio. I'm currently running 1920X1200 off of a long (it's either 15' or 25' ) DVI --> HDMI cable.

lowfat October 19, 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 664033)
I'm not certain but i believe this was improved with HDMI 1.4(b?) (which also allows for 3D 1080p resolution) - its still nowhere near what DP can do though.

Maximum resolution is 40962160 @ 24Hz or 2560x1600 @ 75Hz IIRC. But I know my U2711 won't run HDMI higher than 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. :blarg:

DisplayPort does have audio, but only 2 channel PCM.

Skippman October 19, 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 664053)
Maximum resolution is 40962160 @ 24Hz or 2560x1600 @ 75Hz IIRC. But I know my U2711 won't run HDMI higher than 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. :blarg:

DisplayPort does have audio, but only 2 channel PCM.


Well that further muddys the waters for me. I guess I'm just going to have to order a DisplayPort cable when I buy my U2713. Seems like Dell is playing games with the DisplayPort/HDMI standards.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.