Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
DisplayPort does have audio, but only 2 channel PCM.
From Wiki:
"Optional 8-channel audio with sampling rates up to 24 bit 192 kHz, encapsulation of audio compression formats"
Old October 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

HDMI way better
Old October 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
HDMI way better

Do you have any actual data to back up this statement, or is this more of a personal opinion thing?
Old October 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Well that further muddys the waters for me. I guess I'm just going to have to order a DisplayPort cable when I buy my U2713. Seems like Dell is playing games with the DisplayPort/HDMI standards.
HDMI is still a maturing standard, so what resolution a particular HDMI connection is capable of supporting depends upon the signal source, the receiver, and even the cable.

However, it seems that Dell does have an issue with full HDMI support; that the resolution is the same as the component input suggests Dell ran the U2711's signal processing in groups: DVI/DisplayPort, VGA, and then HDMI/component. Maybe they labelled the HDMI/component as the TV input and decided that such did not need to go beyond Blu-ray resolutions. Or else Dell stuck in a cheap HDMI port with an older specification.

Documentation

This thread, near the end, discusses some solutions to getting full resolution over HDMI from the U2711: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1479962

Last edited by Galcobar; October 19, 2012 at 06:30 PM.