Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Will you try Windows 8 with a touchscreen (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/57292-will-you-try-windows-8-touchscreen.html)

jibz October 15, 2012 02:02 PM

Will you try Windows 8 with a touchscreen

I'm interested in what you guys think about touch screen PCs.

Personally I use a 27 inch and a 23inch side monitor and they aren't close enough to me to touch. I'm not sure I'm interested in moving to a touch screen as I don't like my monitors in arms reach. I also think touch screens are far from ergonomic and efficient to use once you scale them up to large screens compared to using a high sensitivity pointing device.

What is your thoughts on buying and using a new monitor to touch with Windows 8?

bliz October 15, 2012 02:22 PM

Never,A gamer does not put his fingers on his monitor :P

BryceBooth October 15, 2012 02:23 PM

I think a decent AIO would be a nice complement to the kitchen, as for a desktop I can't see it taking off.

JohnEBH October 15, 2012 02:33 PM

Touchscreens aren't for hardcore gaming. I find it hard to imagine using a touchscreen playing an FPS such as BF3.
It might be able replace a tablet for reading off of it, but is it really worth the power consumption?

SugarJ October 15, 2012 02:49 PM

I was thinking about a touchscreen AIO for the kitchen / great room, but realized that everything I was thinking about doing on it could be done on a tablet. So I think I'll just keep a tablet in a drawer.

sswilson October 15, 2012 04:28 PM

If I can get it onto my win7 tablet then sure I'll give it a go. OTOH, I see absolutely no use at all for a touchscreen in a desktop environment unless the screen is embedded in the desktop itself, and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Maybe they'll come out with a relatively inexpensive touchscreen in a thin low profile mousepad format which will replace the mouse all together. Now that would start the path towards having a touchscreen making sense in a desktop environment. Until then, no.... I have no interest in reaching up towards my monitor to control my pc.

Skyllz October 15, 2012 04:37 PM

*stops to eat cheezies to look at his fingers...*
*looks at his monitor...*

Hell no I wont have a touch screen for desktop.

ipaine October 15, 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyllz (Post 662604)
*stops to eat cheezies to look at his fingers...*
*looks at his monitor...*

Hell no I wont have a touch screen for desktop.

And that there is one reason for not having touchscreen on the desktop.

enaberif October 15, 2012 05:46 PM

All in Ones? The worst invention for technicians EVER.

Overpriced and a super pain in the ass to work on.

NyteOwl October 15, 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 662600)
OTOH, I see absolutely no use at all for a touchscreen in a desktop environment unless the screen is embedded in the desktop itself, and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Exactly the direction MS is trying to move the market. And it's becoming easier and cheaper to do.