Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
Allstar

I really really wish that people would stop discrediting touch-screen monitors by saying they would replace your mouse.

that is ******* ludicrous. It is an ADDITION to your standard keyboard/mouse combo.

the same thing goes for using Kinect on your desk as well. I mean, why on earth would you choose FEWER options? have we all turned into BigMacs?

ps, using Kinect would work perfectly for situations where the monitor is too far to touch.

EDIT: personally, I've been considering having a portrait mode touchscreen AIO (or even just a touchscreen monitor) that I use solely for showing 'feeds' (rss, facebook, twitter). It would mean that I don't have to deal with KVM-stuff, alt-tabbing, moving my mouse across a 27" monitor, etc...
Old October 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I really really wish that people would stop discrediting touch-screen monitors by saying they would replace your mouse.

that is ******* ludicrous. It is an ADDITION to your standard keyboard/mouse combo.

the same thing goes for using Kinect on your desk as well. I mean, why on earth would you choose FEWER options? have we all turned into BigMacs?

ps, using Kinect would work perfectly for situations where the monitor is too far to touch.
Quite frankly we say it because we can't imagine any scenario where a touch screen on a desk could enhance a keyboard / mouse input unless it's replacing one or both of them all together. There's a reason why TV's come with remotes, it's a lot more convenient controlling the content on the screen while you're standing back. How many folks do you know who go out of their way to use the bezel controls on their TVs rather than the remote?

Kinect is a completely different ball of wax in that it could be activated/controlled without having to reach across your desk to reach it.

If anything, I'd say that while folks are cozying up to smaller tablet devices for much of their day to day tasks, they're also beginning to see the benefits of either multiple or very large monitors for multi-tasking once it comes down to time for getting some real work done, and I doubt you're going to see folks doing touch screen over multiple or 27" screens.

edit to your edit... ;)

And yes, in an AIO a touchscreen does make sense for certain display applications like feeds, but in that case, the touch function is indeed replacing the mouse input for 95% of the usage.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 16, 2012, 07:08 AM
Allstar

I am hoping to use kenect on windows 8, and I hope they make a kenect friendly MCE interface. I have a last gen APU that I threw together with spare parts that were collecting dust and I like windows 8 boot up time, but the OS is gimped until launch right now.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I want to get a convertible tablet with a touch screen - I'll buy if I can get a good AMD-equipped one with half-decent support.

As for touch screen "desktops", they have their use in kiosks but I agree that fingerprints on the monitor / joint pain is a major issue with productivity. The transition from keyboard (arms down) to touching the monitor (arms extended) would get tiring.

As for Skyllz's comment on the cheese snacks, you don't need a touch screen to be disgusted by grease on a computer - I would know after trying to work on my brother's computer
Old October 16, 2012, 08:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to try it with the Dell ST2220T I own. Mostly for 5h1ts and g1ggles. I'll probably do it sometime soon, as I have the MSDN preview from work. One scenario when touch screen can be painful is trying to calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibration puck.

You put it on the touch screen and all h3ll breaks loose. It's kinda funny. The nice thing with the Dell, and most other separate touch screens I've used, is that you can just disconnect the USB cable to disable touch functionality when you don't need it.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732