Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Turn the brightness level down as it is kinda BRIGHT out of the box.....and enjoy. Its factory calibrated so its damn near perfect out of the box.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
I side by sided this with the Auria 27" at Micro Center yesterday and it's no surprise to me which one I went home with. The Dell is spectacular. Build quality is what I've come to expect from a Dell display and this is a worthy replacement to my 2405FPW. I did have one issue with my DVI cable not being a dual cable and had to rush back and buy one, but after that... it's been amazing. It's a little darker out of the box than my old Dell but the gama tests perfect in the games I've tried so far (Namely a heavily edited FO3).

Does anyone recommend making any adjustments to it's "out of the box" settings?
You should have gotten a dual-link DVI cable in the box. Dell ships these monitors with the required DVI cable.

Old November 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
You should have gotten a dual-link DVI cable in the box. Dell ships these monitors with the required DVI cable.

Which would work great, if my computer wasn't behing me. I needed a 20ft cable. Ended up getting a 25' dual link DVI cable for $25 at Micro Center. Working great now! All I'm waiting for is that 20ft USB 3.0 cable to come in. Don't worry, it has a built in repeater. I just wish this thing had the media card reader the U2711 does. Seems kinda odd the left it off.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm looking at getting this model some time fairly soon I think but I'm curious as to the difference between a full 16:10 ratio monitor and this being a 16:9. Will I notice it going from a 22 to a 27 first of all.

And I do plan on using this for my main gaming monitor as well, should I expect to notice ghosting coming from a 2ms response time or is it really a non issue at this point?
Old November 24, 2012, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Which would work great, if my computer wasn't behing me. I needed a 20ft cable. Ended up getting a 25' dual link DVI cable for $25 at Micro Center. Working great now! All I'm waiting for is that 20ft USB 3.0 cable to come in. Don't worry, it has a built in repeater. I just wish this thing had the media card reader the U2711 does. Seems kinda odd the left it off.
Ahhh, the cables always do seem too short even when the machine is right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I'm looking at getting this model some time fairly soon I think but I'm curious as to the difference between a full 16:10 ratio monitor and this being a 16:9. Will I notice it going from a 22 to a 27 first of all.

And I do plan on using this for my main gaming monitor as well, should I expect to notice ghosting coming from a 2ms response time or is it really a non issue at this point?
I doubt you will notice a change going to 16:9 but that is because of the high resolution on this one. Cause no matter what 22 you have you will be getting quite a bit more vertical resolution than you had before.

Old November 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
Allstar

I have no ghosting here and my panel is only 6ms response time. I really think in many cases this "low ms craze is like FPS. Beyond a certain point it's moot.

As to 16:10 vs 16:9, I do, some don't (though I don't understand why they don't unless they have never used 16:10 or are conditioned to TV ratio). My 27" is 1920x1200 (16:10) and I find a 27" at 16:9 (1920x1080) uncomfortable. It's still a sizable screen but, for me, it "feels" visually "cramped" for anything but watching videos.

With a horizontal resolution of 2560, 16:9 gives 1440 vertical while 16:10 gives 1600 vertical. 160px vertical height is a noticeable amount of screen real estate across the width of the screen. Sadly the screen manufacturers are pandering more adn more to the TV HD market and 16:10 are getting harder to find (let alone 4:3).

Last edited by NyteOwl; November 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old November 28, 2012, 04:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks. I'll have to keep my eyes out for this to go on sale now. Dont think theres anything really out there to rival it from what I can tell.

OK, yes, there is catleap but I'd rather pay a little more and get the benefits of going dell.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've had mine for a few weeks now, worth every penny! I am having one issue though. I just got a new USB 3.0 cable for my birthday and can't get the USB 3.0 hub on this thing to work. It works great in USB 2.0 mode using the same cable but when I try and connect it to the USB 3.0 port on my Z68 FTW eVGA mobo it goes to install the USB hub and bombs out. I checked the driver disc for the monitor and could find no special USB drivers on it and the USB 3.0 drivers are installed for my motherboard. Any thoughts?
Old December 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Hi. I'm new here but have been lurking and getting information on a new moitor for Christmas. I decided to buy the U2713 and found it at Best Buy for $560. I jumped all over it.

here is the link

Dell UltraSharp 27" Widescreen FlatPanel IPS LED HD Monitor U2713HM - Best Buy
Old December 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wniehoff View Post
Hi. I'm new here but have been lurking and getting information on a new moitor for Christmas. I decided to buy the U2713 and found it at Best Buy for $560. I jumped all over it.

here is the link

Dell UltraSharp 27" Widescreen FlatPanel IPS LED HD Monitor U2713HM - Best Buy
Thanks for the tip, looks like a great price to me, wish I had $600 kicking around. :)

While I'm at it, I noticed something I'd never picked up on WRT specs before.... the DVI-D port is listed as HDCP which (and maybe I'm thinking of something different here) is the protocol which allows an unbroken hardware chain for playing protected content, but there's no comment about HDCP WRT the HDMI port.....

Is it just assumed that all HDMI ports are HDCP compliant?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; December 19, 2012 at 02:39 PM.