Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
Allstar

160px of vertical height may not seem like much but spread across the width of the screen it is considerable more real estate. And it makes a considerable difference in productive usage if you do more than just surf the web, game or watch videos. Add in a panel that is only 8-bit and this is far short of Dell's previous "professional" level ultrasharp offerings IMHO.
Old September 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
160px of vertical height may not seem like much but spread across the width of the screen it is considerable more real estate. And it makes a considerable difference in productive usage if you do more than just surf the web, game or watch videos. Add in a panel that is only 8-bit and this is far short of Dell's previous "professional" level ultrasharp offerings IMHO.
Its not meant to replace the - as you put it - "professional" Ultrasharp U2711. This is an excellent monitor for the home user where a wide color gamut simply is a non-issue. Games are designed around the lowest common denominator: sRGB. IMHO the pseudo 10bit panel of the U2711 is good BUT is hampered by a less than optimal AG coating. This monitor makes the most of the tools it is given and the end result is one gorgeous monitor which can compete against PLS based monitors. IMHO this is what it meant to do: Kick Samsung and their PLS tech in the teeth. At this it is an amazing success.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 18, 2012, 04:39 PM
Allstar

^

on what specs does this monitor beat the Samsung 27" PLS?*

*I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, its just that they seem really, really similiar for home user needs. The only spec I could I see users caring about is price.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If all users care about is price then they will opt for the cheapest 1080p 27" they can find. Luckily for dell, that is not the typical 27" home environment consumer.
This monitor is more uniform, has a EONS better default color profile, is easier to view in bright environments, uses less power and is generally better for movies, games and all round just plain better than the Samsung 850. The only area where it gets beaten by the 850 is in extreme angle viewing. There the Dell comes up short by a narrow margin.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 18, 2012, 05:19 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Its not meant to replace the - as you put it - "professional" Ultrasharp U2711. This is an excellent monitor for the home user where a wide color gamut simply is a non-issue. Games are designed around the lowest common denominator: sRGB. IMHO the pseudo 10bit panel of the U2711 is good BUT is hampered by a less than optimal AG coating. This monitor makes the most of the tools it is given and the end result is one gorgeous monitor which can compete against PLS based monitors. IMHO this is what it meant to do: Kick Samsung and their PLS tech in the teeth. At this it is an amazing success.
I did not say it was intended to "replace" anything. However, traditionally Dell has targeted its Ultrasharp line at professional grade use and users. This is a departure from that, for whatever their reasons. I would also disagree that a wide colour gamut is of no consequence to "home users'. There are many whose hobbies and activities are as demanding as any professional. Of course these folks go for professional grade gear, which this not despite its positioning in Dell's model-name lineup. Does it compete handily against the PLS panels, yes indeed. That was not the point I was trying to make in my original post.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Good question. Game mode essentially disables much of the monitor's post-processing which means you will get a noticeable decrease in color accuracy due to over-saturation. HOWEVER, most of this overshooting can be compensated for using the control panel options available on most GPUs.

I'll have this added to the review ASAP.
Cool, thanks. I was tempted to go with one of the korean models, but even the "Pixel Perfect" models have a disclaimer saying if you find any dead pixels, they'll refund you some money instead of replacing it. Plus I really like Dell's stands, I use a U2410 at work so I think I'll be waiting for a nice sale on the U2713, since I usually see the U2711 for $700. Here's hoping for $550-600.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I have one of these in front of me. I don't see a screen-door pattern no have I experienced image retention after viewing HWC for hours on end.
Ok thanks for clarifying.... I really like the screen otherwise so I guess its back to Dell for a replacement...
Old September 19, 2012, 01:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Unless I've missed something in Dell's online lineup -- which given the design of the website is entirely possible -- it seems as if anything IPS is placed in the Ultrasharp line in order to distinguish it as a premium offering over standard TN panels (yes, Ultrasharp includes TN panels but they're a step up from the usual fare).
Old September 19, 2012, 02:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Bingo. No 3 year warranty, cross shipping, dead pixel guarantee or proper tech support means I am more than willing to spend the 20% more on a Dell.
At $350 shipped with a 0 faulty pixel policy I don't think they (the cheap Korean IPS's) should be dismissed out of hand.

Is there draw-backs of such a cheap monitor, hell yes, the build quality isn't great, connectivity is poor and from what I gather the OSD is non-existent.
BUT all that said it is less than half the price of pretty much any other monitor that offers this quality of panel.

I think a review should be in order (not at your expense, perhaps borrow one or get a store that is stocking them to lend you one as a bit of a promotion)
With the number of members here so impressed by them I think your doing them and yourself a bit of an injustice by just dismissing them out of hand.
All you have to do is list your personal likes and dislikes of the monitor in your summary, tests and pro's and cons.. let the user then decide if it's for them or not.

The main thing I like about the Korean ones is the fact that they make such a hight quality screen affordable to soo many people that otherwise
would never be able to delve into the High res market with the cost that comes with the graphics needed and the actual screen itself.
For the first time you can get decent FPS on a screen like this with a single card (7950+ or 670+) and a screen that is not inaccessible due to the cost.

Back to the topic at hand.. A step in the right direction But I'd love for dell to do a very no frills budget monitor to rival the koreans...
Say at $500 but with a bit better build quality and a warranty.. a true budget IPS for the masses..
They would clean up at that point I think.
Old September 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I have one of these in front of me. I don't see a screen-door pattern no have I experienced image retention after viewing HWC for hours on end.
One more thing please SKYMTL, do you know the manufacture date of your unit? Mine is June and I know of some who have received July manufactured units with no problems.