Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Recommendations for 24inch

I'm looking for a monitor upgrade. I currently have a samsung 22 inch, 226bw to be exact, as my main, a NEC 20inch and a 17 Inch as secondaries. I think 24inch is the logical upgrade as they dont seem to be as expensive as the 27 or 30 inch variants.

I was considering the Dell U2412M but I've heard bad things about the anti glare coating so I thought I'd shop around to see the alternatives.

My requirements are pretty simple and are as follows.
-24inch
-at least 1920x1200 (No 1080p pos)
-IPS
-this would be used for gaming as well as photos, and the usual suspects documents/spreadsheets/videos etc. So I would like to keep the refresh rate decent to keep ghosting to a minimum.

-this isnt so much a requirement as I liked the dell's connectivity options, the usb ports would definitely be a boon.

So any recommendations would be appreciated
Old September 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

New YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE LED 27" 2560X1440 WQHD DVI-D White Computer Monitor | eBay

This one. It simply cannot be beat performance/$ wise.

Bought mine at 300$. Check often, and bite the bullet when there's a price reduction. You can also buy a "perfect pixel" one, but they are more expensive. I had the chance to get a perfect one.
Old September 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
New YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE LED 27" 2560X1440 WQHD DVI-D White Computer Monitor | eBay

This one. It simply cannot be beat performance/$ wise.

Bought mine at 300$. Check often, and bite the bullet when there's a price reduction. You can also buy a "perfect pixel" one, but they are more expensive. I had the chance to get a perfect one.
seconded, a bunch of us just bought this at 300 shipped for the pixel perfect...had mine for 2 days now, and its amazing...no comparison to any monitor i have ever seen....2560X1440 res is unbelievable....but better, is the colors, everything looks completely different beccause of this...seeing things in a "new" light...
Old September 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

interesting. Wondering what kind of gpu I would need to upgrade to to actually power that. I do have a few reservations, ebay, korea, and the 16:9 ratio. Admittedly at that price and size it is definitely going into my to be considered list.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you are really serious about keeping everything maxed out in games, in which case a capable gpu (read 7950 or gtx 580 armed with more than 2gb of gddr5) is mandatory, it don't make that much of a difference. Yes you turn down a thing or two, but the cheer size of the screen overcome all of this. That is my personal opinion, of course.

About ebay, korea and 16:9, using paypal, you are protected should the monitor get to you broken in any way except the dead pixel policy (do your home work on that one), it took 2, yes two, working days to get from seoul to my door, quebec city. Flat out amazing, to say the least. Ive only had 16:9 screen in the past, so i cannot coment.

Again, you just cannot beat this screen. You just have to know what you buy.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
Allstar

And what about the broker fees ? they ship UPS and Fedex, UPS charge you the fees right away, but Fedex send you a bill a month later. What about the guaranty ? you throw the monitor in the garbage if a month later something get wrong........ I will go with a Dell, I always go with a Dell.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have a 24" BenQ 2420??? it it works great, I think it's better than the 23.6" Samsung I broke before it. Seems to have less light bleed and the viewing angle seems wider. And it only cost $220 shipped on sale 2 years ago.

I'm getting a 27" though before the disappear
Old October 1, 2012, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Dell UltraSharp U2410, look no further. It comes pre colour calibrated, and has all the connectivity you could ever want! Analog, USB and even a CF card and SD card reader so you know your inner photographer will be cared for!

Quote:

Connectivity hasn’t changed much from the U2410’s predecessors, which is no big deal since they were already more than generous. Behind the bezel and to the left you’ll find two of the monitor’s four USB hub inputs, together with a memory card reader and a pull-out plastic tag with all the monitor’s information printed on it (a far easier to access, better-looking and longer-lasting solution than the sticker found on the back of almost all other monitors). It’s a pity that the card reader no longer supports CompactFlash as previous models did.

At the monitor’s back you’ll find the input for the USB hub and a further two USB outputs, composite and component video inputs, VGA, twin DVIs, HDMI, and DisplayPort. Some users will be sorry to hear the S-Video present on older UtraSharps is on the casualty list. Ideally we would have liked to have seen twin HDMI outputs too, but really that’s just being picky - especially as DisplayPort and the HDCP-enabled DVI ports will work as HDMI video inputs with an adapter, the only caveat being that they won’t carry sound. This brings us to the one area where we really wish Dell would up its game: though a 3.5mm analogue audio output (and Dell speaker bar connection) is provided to carry sound from HDMI, we would prefer a digital output as found on the HP LP2475w.