Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2012, 02:38 AM
Rookie

Default DVI-D Single Link On VG236H

I just bought a used Asus VG236H off Craigslist. I tested the monitor with an HDMI connection and it worked fine. The seller did not include a DVI cable. When I got home, I hooked up the monitor to my gtx 670 with a single link DVI cable but the monitor says there is no signal.

Shouldn't the monitor get a signal from DVI even if it's only single-link? I'm sure the cable is good since it works with my old monitor. I don't have a dual-link cable to test with.

Does anyone have an insight into this? Sure hope I didn't get suckered.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohohobo View Post
I just bought a used Asus VG236H off Craigslist. I tested the monitor with an HDMI connection and it worked fine. The seller did not include a DVI cable. When I got home, I hooked up the monitor to my gtx 670 with a single link DVI cable but the monitor says there is no signal.

Shouldn't the monitor get a signal from DVI even if it's only single-link? I'm sure the cable is good since it works with my old monitor. I don't have a dual-link cable to test with.

Does anyone have an insight into this? Sure hope I didn't get suckered.
IIRC that is a 3d monitor and as such will most likly need a D-DVI cable........ yup just googled the Monitor and it recomends D-DVI or HDMI.
If it runs fine on hdmi and you have the cable use it and call it a day, or if you really feel the need grab a quility D-DVI from Monoprice or when they are on a good sale, cables have the most god aweful upmark out there. IIRC there was a recent post asking if member wanted to add to a sn members monoprice order ( shipping from Mono can be pricy but if you are buying multiple item from them then the pricing is quite good.
I always try to make at least a 200 order when I do order just because of the shipping, 1 item is rape but as you add more to your cart it gets reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 19, 2012, 03:21 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
IIRC that is a 3d monitor and as such will most likly need a D-DVI cable........ yup just googled the Monitor and it recomends D-DVI or HDMI.
If it runs fine on hdmi and you have the cable use it and call it a day, or if you really feel the need grab a quility D-DVI from Monoprice or when they are on a good sale, cables have the most god aweful upmark out there. IIRC there was a recent post asking if member wanted to add to a sn members monoprice order ( shipping from Mono can be pricy but if you are buying multiple item from them then the pricing is quite good.
I always try to make at least a 200 order when I do order just because of the shipping, 1 item is rape but as you add more to your cart it gets reasonable.
If I'm not mistaken, I can't get 120Hz on single link DVI nor HDMI. From the manual, I can only get 120Hz from DVI, which is what I originally bought the monitor for.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohohobo View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I can't get 120Hz on single link DVI nor HDMI. From the manual, I can only get 120Hz from DVI, which is what I originally bought the monitor for.
Then looks like a D-DVI cable is needed, though I thought hdmi 1.3 and up could do 120 at that res, hell I thought 1.3 was good to 240 at 1080. But I am guessin gthat is a monitor limitation rather than a cable limitation. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 20, 2012, 12:24 PM
Rookie

I'm going to grab a dual link dvi cable later today and give that a shot. As a sidenote, I hate how cables are marked-up 150%. Really, $25 for a dvi cable?

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm out $x amount of dollars and have no 120Hz to show for it.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can order them cheaper from monoprice, but unless you're buying quite a few things it's not really worth it due to the shipping.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

They are cheap to obtain indeed and you will feel an amazing difference if you came from a 60hz, i have the GD245HQ and im happy with it.
Old August 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan- View Post
They are cheap to obtain indeed and you will feel an amazing difference if you came from a 60hz, i have the GD245HQ and im happy with it.
Thanks guys. I found a local vendor that doesn't gouge you as much as NCIX, et al. Atic.ca to the rescue :)

Anyway, to answer my question for the benefit of anyone who runs into the same problem, yes, you can run a VG236 with a single-link DVI cable. You're technically limited to 60Hz @ 1080p but you can still make the OS send a 120Hz signal to the monitor - it's just not going to look pretty.