Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2008, 05:44 PM
Rookie

I did a bunch of homework on this earlier this year at first I went shopping for Plasma, then after seeing alot of different product I was leaning more towards LCD. In the end I switched back to Plasma because I found a plasma with a matte finish screen.

If you do not have a light controlled room you will probably prefer an LCD. Someone above mentioned Sharp Aquos and they indeed have the nicest picture of all LCD's but they are known to have some issues. In my opinion the Sony Bravia is the way to go with LCD. Samsun would be a good price point option.

If you do have a light controlled room Plasma is the better choice (as far as picture quality goes) and will cost less. Most reviews will direct you towards Pioneer then Panasonic. Hitatchi has always made excellent TV's but you will never find a review for them because they do not submit there product to reviewers.

I personally bought a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX77U - Plasma picture with benefit of a LCD type matte finish screen.

720p/1080i vs Full 1080p ? Don't bother paying extra for a 1080p capable tv unless your room is really small and you will be sitting 4-6 feet away from the TV.
Old April 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
MVP
F@H

I think I found the model I will be getting, which is the Sony Bravia 32" LCD. Since I'm up on the 20th floor and have floor-ceiling windows, there is a lot of light coming in and that seems to rule plasma out. The Bravia looked much nicer than the 37" viewsonic (probably the higher contrast ratio), and since it is smaller, I can then use it as a monitor for my PC when I get a bigger TV. Plus it won't dominate my small-ish living room either.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 13, 2008, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cipher View Post
I think I found the model I will be getting, which is the Sony Bravia 32" LCD. Since I'm up on the 20th floor and have floor-ceiling windows, there is a lot of light coming in and that seems to rule plasma out. The Bravia looked much nicer than the 37" viewsonic (probably the higher contrast ratio), and since it is smaller, I can then use it as a monitor for my PC when I get a bigger TV. Plus it won't dominate my small-ish living room either.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great.
Just picked one up this WE, after looking @ many different models from ton of angels this looked far superior IMO, keep in mind I was looking for something larger but the image was so much better than anything larger. I did look @ those plasma panasonic's but found that any type or lettering on the screen was easier and clearer on the bravia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 14, 2008, 08:58 AM
Allstar

Also, comparing in a store can be very misleading as most, if not all, tvs are waaaaay off in their calibration out of the box (not to mention if the settings got fiddled with in the store).

My panny looks 10x better than my dads because I calibrated mine with a special kit and he didn't.
Old April 14, 2008, 09:41 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
Also, comparing in a store can be very misleading as most, if not all, tvs are waaaaay off in their calibration out of the box (not to mention if the settings got fiddled with in the store).

My panny looks 10x better than my dads because I calibrated mine with a special kit and he didn't.
Do they do that to create a fake impression in order for a customer to think the TV is better than it really is?

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 14, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cipher View Post
Do they do that to create a fake impression in order for a customer to think the TV is better than it really is?
Its not so much a fake impression its just that they use optimal lighting with a improperly calibrated and setup tv so that when you get it home it'll never look like it does in the store.

They also use videos that will make things "pop" out more with a uncalibrated tv over a calibrated.

Also the Aquos only has one major issue that hasn't really been a major issue of late but its like any LCD you buy and it can have banding issues or dead pixels unfortunately, but this is why you run these tests when you get it home so you can take it back.
Old April 14, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question for calibration, I had planned on just hooking it up to my pc and running my pc-monitors calibration program. Is this the correct way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 9, 2008, 05:34 AM
Rookie

I actually just recently purchased a Panasonic 42" plasma, this years model (2008) and I would recommend it to anyone, the lifetime of plasma's are getting better and I have gone to Future Shop and Best Buy and looked at all of the TVs with both Samsungs and Panasonics displaying the best picture! As for 1080p vs. 720p/1080i look at it this way, if you want to watch Blu-Ray yea go with 1080p but for standard HDTV, it is only broadcasted in 1080i, and it took 50 years for that to happen so a change is not expected shortly.

I love my Panasonic, and would not have it any other way. My step mom has a lower priced Sharp and the picture is not comparable in any way to my Panasonic.
Old May 9, 2008, 09:43 AM
Allstar

I'm surprised no one mentioned DLP's. Sure they may not be the best but I have zero complaints about my Samsung 50", and best of all it was less than $1500 after taxes. It's the older model which doesn't use LED's so my bulb will probably burn out in 5 years or so but I figure by then I'll probably want to buy a new one anyways. Anyways, it was easily cheaper than most 42" plasma's or lcd's by about $500 at the time I was looking around, and frankly the picture looked better to me imo. Definitely worth considering.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old May 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have a Samsung 32" 720p got it last year christmas in all after taxes and 4 year warranty came to a grand but i love it specially watchin Battlestar Galactica in HD cant go wrong!
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.