Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2008, 07:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Samsung Warranty?

Just wondering if anybody has ever dealt with Samsung's warranty before? I have to wait until tomorow morning to phone them but i just noticed tonight that 1 of my LCD's on my PC has a dead pixel, and that my Samsung LCD TV also has a dead pixel.

Both my TV and Computer LCD are less than a year old. My TV was purchased in November 07, and my LCD monitor was bought in December 07.

Just wanted to hear if anybody on here has had any experience with them before i call them tomorrow to see how this all works.
Old April 10, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is from some Apple documentation(14.1" 16MB VRAM iBook service manual) a few years ago:

Quote:
A certain number of pixel anomalies are inherent in liquid crystal display technology and vary by many factors, including type of
technology.
Many anomalies observed by customers are considered normal or are the result of lint or dust particles resting on the front of the
display. It is important to understand what type of anomaly a customer sees in order to determine whether further analysis is
necessary. In many cases all that may be necessary is a gentle cleaning of the display face using the provided cleaning cloth.
IMPORTANT : Providing a replacement display to satisfy a customer may not be effective because the
replacement display may have more or different types of visible anomalies than the original display,
and still be within specifications.

Knowledge Base Article 22194 can be indicated to customers as public explanation from Apple side.

Industry standards used by all manufacturers are specifying a certain number of minor defects, as generally accepted or
creating an acceptable situation. This means that the level of quality in the industry includes some level of pixel-defect.
The following sentences can be used with customers’ complains

Copied from SONY documentation (Sony VAIO web Support)
• High precision technology is used to manufacture these LCDs to maintain a high standard of operation. However in all LCD
panels there may be a small number of pixels that do not change color. This is a normal occurrence for all LCD displays from all
manufacturers and should not be noticeable or objectionable under normal operation.
• Sometimes the pixels are noticeable only during booting or on an all white or all black screen.
• The LCD screen is manufactured using high precision technology. However, there may be some tiny black spots and/or bright
spots (red, blue or green in colour) that constantly appear on the LCD screen. These spots occur normally in the manufacturing
process and do not effect the recorded picture in any way. Effective number of pixels is 99.99% or more.

Copied from COMPAQ documentation (Compaq FAQ on Compaq’s web Support)
• Note that if you have the smallest number of dead pixels, your replacement display panel may have more, use your judgement
before deciding that you have a defective panel.

Copied from DELL documentation (Dell web : Support technique Dell)
• The liquid crystal display (LCD) screens built into portable computers and flat-panel monitors are manufactured using rigid
quality control standards. These manufacturing standards ensure that the LCD screen is clear and viewable.
• During the manufacturing process, it is not uncommon for one or more pixels to be fixed in an unchanging state. The visible
result is a fixed pixel that appears as an extremely tiny discolored spot, either a dark spot or a bright spot.

Copied from TOSHIBA documentation (Toshiba web Support)
• Due to current manufacturing methods and the high number of transistors in the TFT Color LCD, a few nonconforming pixels
may be visible. There are over a million transistors in a typical TFT screen. When any one of those transistors is not lighting as
designed, the pixel is called nonconforming. Nonconforming pixels typically appear as tiny colored dots (red, blue, green, etc.)
or as black dots in contrast to the projected background color of the LCD module.
• Quality inspections, performed by the LCD module manufacturers, include limits for nonconforming pixels. Nonconforming pixel
limits (10 to 18 pixels) are set solely by the LCD module manufacturers and not by specific computer manufacturers. These
limits are defined by the manufacturing processes and are specific to screen characteristics which include :
* physical size of module.
* display type (SVGA, XGA, VGA).
* screen resolutions available.
• LCD Module manufacturers continually strive to upgrade processes used in manufacturing as well as the Quality Specifications
which include the limits on nonconforming pixels allowed for LCD modules for use in portable computer displays.

So, I would say don't bother unless there are a bunch of them in a localized area.