Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks ppls!

Aight so the Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p it'll be. I'll keep my Receiver and just buy a great 5.1 Surround speaker set. I'll need the cables too i bet but I'll just ask the guy when i buy my TV.

But i have a question for you CMetaphor.

Imagine that i do like you said, use my receiver for Audio and just go straight to the TV for video... I'll have the HD Illico terminal, the PS3, the receiver and the TV to connect together. What cables would i need and in what order would i have to connect them? Can you explain this to me as simple as possible.

I'd have to connect a standard Cable first to the HD Illico Terminal, then another cable would go to the TV (Which one?) Then I'd have to connect the PS3 to the TV with what cable and then the Audio system to the TV as well but with what cable? I'm pretty much a noob with all that.

Thanks a lot!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old April 8, 2008, 11:29 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Oh boy, not a small question, here we go:
Your TV (according the best buy website) has 2 HDMI inputs, and 2 Component inputs.
So we'll connect the cables like this (this is how I did it for my last TV/Receiver combo):

1-Connect the Illico HD terminal to HDMI input #1 using a Hdmi to Hdmi cable ( or DVI to hdmi cable if you have the older illico box like me).

1a- IF you HAVE to use the dvi to hdmi cable to connect your illico Hd box to your TV then it Cannot Pass Audio! Therefore, check your tv's manual to see if one of the hdmi inputs has something called "DvI mode" (mine does). This means that on that input of the TV the audio will come from a regular stereo RCA pair rather than through the hdmi (So you can watch TV without Having to turn on the receiver).

2- Connect the digial coaxial audio out of the Illico HD box to your receiver (name the input on your receiver if you can to avoid confusion) OR connect it using a Fiber optic cable (but they are more expensive). For a digital coaxial cable you can use Any old RCA to RCA male to male cable, trust me it'll work fine (over short distances under 10ft.). This will let you have the awsome audio of a receiver for your regular TV shows AND allow you to have up to 5.1 surround on the HD channels.

3- Connect the PS3 to the second HDMI input of the TV using another Hdmi to Hdmi, male to male cable. When you get the PS3 (and turn it on) use the power button on the console itself to turn it on AND HOLD IT until you hear a SECOND beep! This will make the PS3 auto-adjust its video settings to "optimal settings" which in your case will be glorious 1080P.

4- Connect the PS3 to receiver via Fiber optic cable (no choice on this one). Go into the PS3 Settings menu (on the far right on the main menu) and scroll down to audio settings. For audio output, choose "Fiber optic" instead of "HDMI". Now you can listen to your movies/bluray/ps3 games through your reciever while watchng it at 1080p.

-takes a few deep breaths...- Whew... Am I missing anything?
Old April 8, 2008, 11:42 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Extra if you HAVE to use the DVI to HDMI cable------
Taken directly from the manual for the TV you're planning on getting:

OPTION MENU -> HDMI SETUP

"To watch an HDMI or PC-IN equipment image, select
"INPUT4" or "INPUT5" from "INPUT SOURCE" menu
using INPUT on the remote control unit or on the TV.
Auto View:
Enable: To use View Mode based on signal
recognition, including an HDMI signal.
Disable: No function.
Audio Select:
Digital: For an audio signal via the HDMI terminal.
Analog: For an audio signal via the R-AUDIO -L
terminal."

As you can see, it's not called "DVI Mode" like on mine but it's basically the same thing. When you go into the setup menu for the HDMI input you can choose whether or not to use the "Digital" audio setting under "Audio Select" or the "Analog". Like I just mentioned in my last post, if you have the older Illico HD box and HAVE to use a DVI to HDMI cable then set the above option to "Analog" and connect your Illico HD box to the TV via a regular Rca male to male pair (stereo).
Old April 8, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wow man, you totally rock! Thanks for all these infos!

BTW: I don't have the Illico HD Terminal just yet. I will buy it at the same time i get the TV. So i will make sure it has the HDMI port behind the box? Did i got all right? The Illico HD box has to have an HDMI port so i can connect it with a HDMI male to male cable then into the HDTV?

You are my hero! I see you live in Montreal eh! Once i get in my new apartment, you fix all that stuff up for me and i let you play Crysis on my "SLI Rig Of The Month" Rig, cool? J\k
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old April 8, 2008, 12:03 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Yep, you got it right. Although I dont think you have to worry about the Illico not have HDMI if it's brand new... it's just that mine is 4 years old or so .

About the rest:
Sounds awsome, or perhaps we should get that Montreal LAN party finally going. Either way, have fun with your setup and lemme know if you need a hand getting it all together (I do this sorta thing allllllll the time for my friends ).
Old April 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Dude.. do not buy the cables from that store.

Wait.. save a few bucks and grab em from ncix.

Cables at Future Crap and those places will cost you in excess of over $300 where you can buy em from ncix and save like $250
Old April 8, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If I were you, I would spend the majority of the cost on the Reciever.... Get a good one...it is the heart of the entertainment ssystem. Also, if you get a good one with a ton of inputs, and HDMI output, you should plug EVERYTHING into the Reciever. Use it as a Switching station.

What I mean is this:

PS3------------------------------------------- ]
HD TV box------------------------------------- ]
DVD player*optional--------------------------- ]----------into Reciever -------- out to TV
Xbox or other various consoles * optional------- ]

Then you just use the single Reciever remote to switch between everything, or get a Logitech Harmony remote, which is programmable to do everything all at once (awesome remotes)

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

That is another option Cptn Vortex, but he did emphasis "Budget" for everything. The receiver he has will suffice on a budget I'd say.
Old April 8, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yes..... but don't skimp on a crappy 5.1 in a box solution..... it will sound like POOO

I would say.... spend $350 at least on the receiver. Heck, look around for used speakers. They will more than likely sound WAY better than those little crummy sattelites. I usually look on Craigslist for floorstanding speakers. Names like Definitive, Pioneer, or Cerwin Vega, they can be quite cheap, but oh so good sounding.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 8, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Remember when it comes to surround sound.. the size of the speaker doesn't really matter as long as you have a good sub and receiver.

Receivers can be programmed (if its a good one) to send anything say from 120hz and below to the sub so that your satellites and center doesn't receive bass just mids/highs to get a good clear sound.